Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How do I extend the visa?

How do I extend the visa?

Old Oct 17th 2002, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

lil_tone76 will become famous soon enough
Question How do I extend the visa?

My I-129F approval is valid for Oct through Feb 9. So if my interview is anytime between that time, and the visa gets issued, the latest it will be issued for would be till August 9(assuming the interview is on Feb 9 so the visa gets issued then) since the visas are valid only 6 months.
I didn't know that the approval would come through so soon. I was actually anticipating 89-90 days which gives me enough time to complete my undergrad degree. I need to attend summer school to complete the courses and the exams end around August 14-15.
Is there any suggestion as to what I could do regarding this?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 17th 2002, 8:08 pm
Mrtravel

Default Re: How do I extend the visa?

You might be able to get the interview delayed, but that would mean they
would have to extend the authorization. I have heard of the
authorization being extended, I haven't heard about the visa being
extended. You should contact the consular people where you interview
will be scheduled. It isn't beyond the realm of possibility that you
won't have an interview or visa until after Feb 9. For instance, you
would normally have had to wait 3 months or so to get an interview in
Russia. Then, if you had interviewed recently, you would still be
waiting for a visa to actually come to you.

lil_tone76 wrote:
    > My I-129F approval is valid for Oct through Feb 9. So if my interview is
    > anytime between that time, and the visa gets issued, the latest it will
    > be issued for would be till August 9(assuming the interview is on Feb 9
    > so the visa gets issued then) since the visas are valid only 6 months.
    > I didn't know that the approval would come through so soon. I was
    > actually anticipating 89-90 days which gives me enough time to complete
    > my undergrad degree. I need to attend summer school to complete the
    > courses and the exams end around August 14-15.
    > Is there any suggestion as to what I could do regarding this?
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    > Thanks in advance!
    > --

Old Oct 17th 2002, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there,
Thanks for your reply.
I live in Canada and I heard that in most cases, they issue out the visa to you the same day(or the day after) the interview. It might be a longer wait in Russia or so.
So although they say the I-129F approval is valid only till Feb 9, I can delay it even further if I get the appropriate permission from the INS or the Consulate?

Originally posted by Mrtravel:
You might be able to get the interview delayed, but that would mean they
would have to extend the authorization. I have heard of the
authorization being extended, I haven't heard about the visa being
extended. You should contact the consular people where you interview
will be scheduled. It isn't beyond the realm of possibility that you
won't have an interview or visa until after Feb 9. For instance, you
would normally have had to wait 3 months or so to get an interview in
Russia. Then, if you had interviewed recently, you would still be
waiting for a visa to actually come to you.

lil_tone76 wrote:
    > My I-129F approval is valid for Oct through Feb 9. So if my interview is
    > anytime between that time, and the visa gets issued, the latest it will
    > be issued for would be till August 9(assuming the interview is on Feb 9
    > so the visa gets issued then) since the visas are valid only 6 months.
    > I didn't know that the approval would come through so soon. I was
    > actually anticipating 89-90 days which gives me enough time to complete
    > my undergrad degree. I need to attend summer school to complete the
    > courses and the exams end around August 14-15.
    > Is there any suggestion as to what I could do regarding this?
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    > Thanks in advance!
    > --
Old Oct 18th 2002, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

eiloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi lil_tone76,

I had the same concern late last month... I emailed Montreal and this was their response...

My email:
I recently received a package from your office dated September 20, 2002 stating that this office will begin processing my K1 Visa to the United States. I understand that my first course of action is to return the form DS-230 Part I so that the process can begin. I will be posting the document to your office this week and was wondering if I would be able to scheduled for a "later" interview date in
Montreal. My wedding will be held in August 2003 however, I would like to stay in Canada as long as possible so that I can clear up my financial and property business before departing to the United States.

I understand that on my second Notice of Action from the Vermont Service Center, the approval notice was valid from September 12, 2002 to January 12, 2003. Would there be any chance of being able to schedule an interview after January 7, 2003?

Please let me know if this would at all be possible or how I would be able to proceed to obtain a later date.

Montreal's Response:
You can return the DS-230 Part 1 now, but do not advise us that you have all your documents until April 2003. You should only do your medical in April as well. Once we receive the form indicating that you have all your documents in order we will schedule you for your interview. At the time of
your interview, you will be required to have a notarized statement from your fiancée stating that she is still free and willing to marry you. At that time we will revalidate your petition. em

If you can explain what they're talking about regarding the April 2003 thing... I'd like to know...

Ian

Originally posted by lil_tone76:
My I-129F approval is valid for Oct through Feb 9. So if my interview is anytime between that time, and the visa gets issued, the latest it will be issued for would be till August 9(assuming the interview is on Feb 9 so the visa gets issued then) since the visas are valid only 6 months.
I didn't know that the approval would come through so soon. I was actually anticipating 89-90 days which gives me enough time to complete my undergrad degree. I need to attend summer school to complete the courses and the exams end around August 14-15.
Is there any suggestion as to what I could do regarding this?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 18th 2002, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Hi Ian,
Wow, you tell them that your I-129F approval is valid till Jan 2003 and they talk about April 2003...the letter didn't answer some of the doubts for you, did it?
Anyways, I read somewhere that you can actually request for an extension but would require a letter from the US citizen. You can check out this link http://k1.exit.com/consul.html
From what I understand, it is possible to have them extend the approval for another 4 months. Your fiancee needs to write a letter and fax/mail it to the consulate general in Montreal as well as have you bring a notarized letter with you at the time of your interview.
I hope this helps.
-Lilian.

Originally posted by eiloo:
Hi lil_tone76,

I had the same concern late last month... I emailed Montreal and this was their response...

My email:
I recently received a package from your office dated September 20, 2002 stating that this office will begin processing my K1 Visa to the United States. I understand that my first course of action is to return the form DS-230 Part I so that the process can begin. I will be posting the document to your office this week and was wondering if I would be able to scheduled for a "later" interview date in
Montreal. My wedding will be held in August 2003 however, I would like to stay in Canada as long as possible so that I can clear up my financial and property business before departing to the United States.

I understand that on my second Notice of Action from the Vermont Service Center, the approval notice was valid from September 12, 2002 to January 12, 2003. Would there be any chance of being able to schedule an interview after January 7, 2003?

Please let me know if this would at all be possible or how I would be able to proceed to obtain a later date.

Montreal's Response:
You can return the DS-230 Part 1 now, but do not advise us that you have all your documents until April 2003. You should only do your medical in April as well. Once we receive the form indicating that you have all your documents in order we will schedule you for your interview. At the time of
your interview, you will be required to have a notarized statement from your fiancée stating that she is still free and willing to marry you. At that time we will revalidate your petition. em

If you can explain what they're talking about regarding the April 2003 thing... I'd like to know...

Ian

Old Oct 18th 2002, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

eiloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanx for the info Lilian,

What I really got out of their reply was that I would need "another" notarized form from my fiancee... which is exactly what you're saying... but that would be more hassle for her... and now that we were able to move the wedding date up 4 weeks... that buys me some time for AOS afterwards...

Good Luck from here on in Lilian!!

Ian

Originally posted by lil_tone76:
Hi Ian,
Wow, you tell them that your I-129F approval is valid till Jan 2003 and they talk about April 2003...the letter didn't answer some of the doubts for you, did it?
Anyways, I read somewhere that you can actually request for an extension but would require a letter from the US citizen. You can check out this link http://k1.exit.com/consul.html
From what I understand, it is possible to have them extend the approval for another 4 months. Your fiancee needs to write a letter and fax/mail it to the consulate general in Montreal as well as have you bring a notarized letter with you at the time of your interview.
I hope this helps.
-Lilian.

Old Oct 19th 2002, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

gentlelady is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by eiloo:
Thanx for the info Lilian,

What I really got out of their reply was that I would need "another" notarized form from my fiancee... which is exactly what you're saying... but that would be more hassle for her... and now that we were able to move the wedding date up 4 weeks... that buys me some time for AOS afterwards...

Good Luck from here on in Lilian!!

Ian

I checked out the website on extending the I-797, which is a letter I will probably forward to my fiance in Nigeria, which he can use if he doesn't have an interview b4 the appropriate time. I was wondering the example the guy used on the by laws he used 9 FAM 41.81 n3.1. That seems to be the incorrect one for extension if one is going to quote the correct clasification number. It seems for k1 fiance' it should be N5.2. If anyone uses that same letter as an example and has checked out the rules please let me know if I'm correct.
Old Oct 19th 2002, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

I think you are right. I went through the different the laws on the list and you are right.

Originally posted by gentlelady:

I checked out the website on extending the I-797, which is a letter I will probably forward to my fiance in Nigeria, which he can use if he doesn't have an interview b4 the appropriate time. I was wondering the example the guy used on the by laws he used 9 FAM 41.81 n3.1. That seems to be the incorrect one for extension if one is going to quote the correct clasification number. It seems for k1 fiance' it should be N5.2. If anyone uses that same letter as an example and has checked out the rules please let me know if I'm correct.