Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

how difficult is it to get a green card through marriage?

how difficult is it to get a green card through marriage?

Old Jan 16th 2002, 8:11 am
Michael Voight

jennifer wrote:
    >
    >
    >

Well, then you should have stated the other parts of the story in the first place.

Old Jan 16th 2002, 8:13 am
Michael Voight

Jim Vadek wrote:
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Jennifer posted a second time stating she is involved with someone of the same[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > sex as her and that is the reason she was considering marrying her friend. Not an[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > easy situation to be in that is for sure. Consider how[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
? Why should you feel bad for her not being up front about pertinent facts in the
original post

Old Feb 8th 2002, 1:54 am
Barbara Elton-Fall

Give us a break !!!!!

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>

Old Feb 8th 2002, 2:11 pm
Terje Johan Abrahams

[usenetquote2]>> i am considering moving to the states and getting married. i have a friend who is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> willing to marry me to get me into the country. how easy is it? do the ins check[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> up on you constantly or not? i just want to hear from someone who pulled it off![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> and, once i am married and forms have been filed, can i work in the states or do i[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> have to wait until my official green card comes through?[/usenetquote2]

It is not that hard, and it happens all the time. However, the INS has pretty hard
interviews that you must pass. If you don't live together and have proof of having a
normal marriage it might be tough. But, they do seldom if ever check on you in
between. And yes, you can work.

Old Feb 8th 2002, 8:13 pm
Michael Voight

Agreed, INS response is slow enough for people with VALID marriages. Why should we
help people who don't want a valid marriage.
Note: my view of valid is MUCH stronger than what INS would say is valid.

Barbara Elton-Fall wrote:
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > i am considering moving to the states and getting married. i have a friend who is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > willing to marry me to get me into the country. how easy is it? do the ins check[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > up on you constantly or not? i just want to hear from someone who pulled it off![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > and, once i am married and forms have been filed, can i work in the states or do[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > i have to wait until my official green card comes through?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]

Old Feb 8th 2002, 10:03 pm
Alvena Ferreira

NewYorker wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
You don't really believe that "land of the free" tripe with Shrub in charge, do you?
Anyone who is pushing as hard as he is for pro-life and encouraging people to "get
married for the sake of the children" with his bible-belt philosophy, certainly is
not going to do anything toward same-sex relationships, you can bet your bippie on
that one. Get ready to take a giant step =>backward<=, IMHO. It is a sad day when we
retreat into religious principles for the sake of politics. Sad indeed. (or is that
retreat into politics for the sake of religious principles?)

I still maintain that this kind of religion-government coalition is what caused most
of the great conflicts and most of the deaths on earth, and I just hope we aren't
getting ready to see yet another one in my lifetime. Alvena

See the Doc Steen site here:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm I am not a lawyer, and this
is not immigration advice. The information I provide is mostly gleaned from old
newsgroup posts and visa links on the internet. If you want or need a lawyer, go to:
http://www.aila.org

Old Feb 8th 2002, 10:12 pm
Michael Voight

NewYorker wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

I thought it was a new thread, not a followup to one from last month......

Michael

Old Feb 8th 2002, 11:16 pm
Michael Voight

NewYorker wrote:
    >

>
[usenetquote2]> >I thought it was a new thread, not a followup to one from last month...... [/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >

I think CAP man should be letting his wife post. I think the notice from INS was
simply to let them know the I-129F was approved last week and at some point the
Embassy will get that info and schedule the K-3 interview, right?. Surely they know
there is a delay between the INS approving the I-129F and the Embassy getting it...

Michael

Old Feb 9th 2002, 2:49 am
Betastar

On Fri, 08 Feb 2002 17:03:50 -0600, Alvena Ferreira <[email protected]> spake:

>
    >

Can you say... oh, let's pick... Taliban?

Ironic, no?

Old Feb 9th 2002, 1:08 pm
Jadm

I CANNOT believe your asking this! After all we go and have gone thru to get our
"legitimate" significant others here "LEGALLY", what you are asking is not only
ILLEGAL but i hope you are caught!!!! it is people like you that make INS so hard for
all of us here in the USA. I spit on you*

Old Feb 9th 2002, 1:12 pm
Jadm

and furthermore....even IF your gay it doesnt matter...its still FRAUD*

Old Feb 9th 2002, 5:39 pm
Michael Voight

jadm wrote:
    >
    >

Then, I take it you will support a petition to allow gay marriages in your state
so that INS will recognize it and let them file an I-130 and/or I-129F. It isn't
the first time the topic of INS and gay people has come up. My real complaint is
that the poster didn't say this in the first place. While I agree that it is
fraud, I do sympathize with them. But then, I went to the same university as Sean
Hays (Will & Grace).

Michael

Old Feb 10th 2002, 12:28 pm
Jadm

after a bit of thinking, no*....just irritates me that people can do what the poster
wants to do and so many others are having such a hard time doing it legally... good
question tho

Old Feb 11th 2002, 5:30 pm
Michael Voight

jadm wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >

So, you don't support a legal way for them to be together, but complain about what
they have to do to be together?