Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

how difficult is it to get a green card through marriage?

how difficult is it to get a green card through marriage?

Old Jan 14th 2002, 2:25 pm
Andrew Defaria

jennifer wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

People are pissed at you because you chose to deliberately break the law and as such
people like you cause this law to be misenforced on other people. Choose another
legal method for entering the US.

Old Jan 14th 2002, 6:14 pm
Okonami Yaki

Alvena Ferreira <[email protected]>
    >
[usenetquote2]> > i am considering moving to the states and getting married. i have a friend who is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > willing to marry me to get me into the country. how easy is it? do the ins check[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > up on you constantly or not? i just want to hear from someone who pulled it off![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > and, once i am married and forms have been filed, can i work in the states or do[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > i have to wait until my official green card comes through?[/usenetquote2]
Ms. Rete offered no help {from any of us} and Ms. Alvena offers no sympathy ;
however, both of them provide URL references to all the key information archives
that jennifer may access and learn what is there to know. You two are nice
people, even though you pretend otherwise !! <<snip>>
    >
    >
    >
After reading jennifer's 2nd post to offer more information on her situation, I can
only conclude that she is not intelligent enough to (as she puts it) "pull it off".
Those who have married for some pragmatic advantage -- since the times of Jane Austen
-- have done so with a lot more circumspection and had lived lives of model felicity
within their marriages. If she had browsed this newsgroup (or searched the posts with
an engine) before her first post to offend people, she could have had answers to her
questions as well as privacy to her schemes. Now those INS agents who examine these
posts occasionally would have all jennifers from a particular nation under scrutiny,
wouldn't they ?

Old Jan 14th 2002, 10:21 pm
Jb

Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > i love the way that i get condemned for what i wrote and the questions that i[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > asked. the truth of the matter is....i'm not doing this for the money or just[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > wanting to get into the states. like all u people out there who appear to be[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > angry toward me....i am in love. the difficulty for me and the one thing that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > distinguishes you from me is that my love is for somebody of the same sex,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > another women, and marriage to her isn't a legal option for me. so please, don't[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > preach to me on how i am scum, how i am heartless, when it is more difficult for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > people like me, people who are gay, people who are equally as in love as[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > heterosexual people.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >

Actually, I don't believe she has broken any laws yet.

Old Jan 14th 2002, 10:23 pm
Jb

Jim Vadek wrote:
    >

[usenetquote2]> > i am considering moving to the states and getting married. i have a friend who is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > willing to marry me to get me into the country. how easy is it? do the ins check[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > up on you constantly or not? i just want to hear from someone who pulled it off![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > and, once i am married and forms have been filed, can i work in the states or do[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > i have to wait until my official green card comes through?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >

That's a bit harsh, don't you think? It is doubtful, based on her previous posts,
that she has actually broken any laws yet. All she did was ask an admittedly stupid
question in a US immmigration group.

The answer to the question is: It's not easy, you may eventually be caught (no can
tell how likely this is) and the consequences should be enough to dissuade you from
attempting it.

You can find the penalties elsewhere on the web. Find a legal way.

Old Jan 14th 2002, 11:03 pm
Exyz

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Also the Netherlands is a possibility.

Old Jan 15th 2002, 12:33 am
Andrew Defaria

jb wrote:

>
    >
[usenetquote2]>> jennifer wrote:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> i love the way that i get condemned for what i wrote and the questions that i[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> asked. the truth of the matter is....i'm not doing this for the money or just[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> wanting to get into the states. like all u people out there who appear to be[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> angry toward me....i am in love. the difficulty for me and the one thing that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> distinguishes you from me is that my love is for somebody of the same sex,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> another women, and marriage to her isn't a legal option for me. so please, don't[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> preach to me on how i am scum, how i am heartless, when it is more difficult for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> people like me, people who are gay, people who are equally as in love as[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>> heterosexual people.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> People are pissed at you because you chose to deliberately break the law and as[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> such people like you cause this law to be misenforced on other people. Choose[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> another legal method for entering the US.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >

What about comspiring to commit fraud !

>

<html> <head> </head> <body> jb wrote:<br> <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email protected]"> Andrew DeFaria wrote:<br>
<blockquote type="cite">jennifer wrote:<br> <br> <blockquote type="cite">i love the
way that i get condemned for what i wrote and the questions that i asked. the truth
of the matter is....i'm not doing this for the money or just wanting to get into the
states. like all u people out there who appear to be angry toward me....i am in love.
the difficulty for me and the one thing that distinguishes you from me is that my
love is for somebody of the same sex, another women, and marriage to her isn't a
legal option for me. so please, don't preach to me on how i am scum, how i am
heartless, when it is more difficult for people like me, people who are gay, people
who are equally as in love as heterosexual people.<br> </blockquote> People are
pissed at you because you chose to deliberately break the law and as such people like
you cause this law to be misenforced on other people. Choose another legal method for
entering the US.<br> </blockquote> <!---->Actually, I don't believe she has broken
any laws yet.</blockquote> What about comspiring to commit fraud <span
-moz-smiley="s1"><span> </span></span>
!<br>
<blockquote type="cite" cite="mid:[email protected]">< br>
</blockquote> <br> </body> </html>

--------------090409080903070408020307--

Old Jan 15th 2002, 1:52 am
Jim Vadek

>
    >
    >

I did not consider that possibility. I actually feel quite bad for being so harsh,
but feel differently now that I understand her predicament.

Old Jan 15th 2002, 4:32 am
Skaternl

[email protected] (Okonami Yaki) <<SNIP>>
    >
    >

Do you really think so ??? Why are there still 250.000 illegal
student-visa-holders outthere in the USA if they would pay so much attention?? I
think the INS is nothing more then a bureaucratic system that reads and stamps
paper (though I thank them for accepting my AOS application after returning it
to me 3 times!

Oh yeah, and Jennifer, if you REALLY LOVE that other girl in the USA. And then I
mean REALLY REALLY love her 'till death you 2 part'. Then maybe you both should
move to Hawaii. Because I think that's the only state in the USA where gay
marriages are legal

Daniel
ps. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't take any responsibility!

Old Jan 15th 2002, 5:07 am
Andrew Defaria

SKaTeRNL wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >

It'd be kinda hard to do when the INS won't let her into the country in the first
place now would it.

Old Jan 15th 2002, 7:09 am
Mr. Smith

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Considering the subject of the message, and it's emphasis on getting a green card, I
doubt her purpose of coming to the US has anything to do with a love interest, same
sex or not.

Old Jan 15th 2002, 11:49 am
Ml Spencer

hi jennifer, my husband and i are trying for the green card thing our selves and the
officals are have told us that we can get ( if we apply for it) a work visa until the
application is processed. As for the pulling it off part, well i dont konw.

good luck what ever you deciede

liz

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 15th 2002, 12:02 pm
Ml Spencer

hey now. i can tell you that getting into canada is easier said than done. my husband
and i tried that right before we gave up on that and came to the us instead. they
probably do require a webcam or something (jk) but you get the idea.

have you considered trying to find an employer to sponser you. or maybe coming here
as a student?

>

[usenetquote2]> > Jennifer[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Why don't you and your loved one consider migrating to Canada instead. Their[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > liberal thinking has allowed them to officially accept homosexual marriages as[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > legal. Also one can migrate to Canada as a landed resident without benefit of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > marriage far easier and faster than here in the US. Time frame would be about 12[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to 18 months for final acceptance of paperwork if you meet the 75 point criteria.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >

Old Jan 15th 2002, 2:32 pm
Rita

>
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Oh yeah, and Jennifer, if you REALLY LOVE that other girl in the USA. And then I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > mean REALLY REALLY love her 'till death you 2 part'. Then maybe you both should[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > move to Hawaii. Because I think that's the only state in the USA where gay[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > marriages are legal [/usenetquote2]
    >

Sorry to disillusion you but regardless of whether or not a state of the union
recognizes and accepts a same sex marriage as legal, it is the federal government's
take on it that counts. The federal government does not recognize same sex marriages
so she can't use that route.

Rita

Old Jan 16th 2002, 3:14 am
Onigiri

>
    >
    >
    >
The existence of (whatever manner of) love or affection or the sexual preference of
either the petitioner or the beneficiary is never directly questioned by the INS or
the consulate. It is usually volunteered by petitioners and interviewees. The
immigration benefit (for the fiancee or spouse) simply hinges on the fact that the
marriage is recognized as legitimate by our federal government and there exists
documents certifying to that fact.. In the fiancee case, both the INS and the
consulate want a letter of reiteration from both the USC and the alien that they
would indeed marry and do so within the regulated 90 day time frame -- there is no
requirement that the letter also promise that they would engage in sex with each
other or be mutually affectionate or for that matter, even be civil to each other in
any shape or form. Under these circumstances, marriage between two persons of
opposite gender (of whatever sexual preference, including partiality to certain kinds
of water fowl) is entirely possible....and may even last a lifetime, if these persons
be endowed with those special qualities of tolerance and constancy of purpose in
whatever projects they undertake.

Old Jan 16th 2002, 7:37 am
Skaternl

[email protected] (Rita)
[usenetquote2]> > SKaTeRNL wrote:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Oh yeah, and Jennifer, if you REALLY LOVE that other girl in the USA. And then[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I mean REALLY REALLY love her 'till death you 2 part'. Then maybe you both[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > should move to Hawaii. Because I think that's the only state in the USA where[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > gay marriages are legal [/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Hey, you are not hurting my feelings (as Emeril Lagasse from the foodnetwork would
say). But yeah, you are right. We are dealing with the federal government here. Not
the state. Well, in that case I think Jeniffer should try to get the USC to England.
Though.........I think the UK doesn't allow gay marriages. The Netherlands does, but
hey, that's gonna be hard to get in for a UK and USC.......

Rita, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I think it's good I'm not into
lawschool. My GPA would be below zero hehehehe

Bye, Daniel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.