British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   how difficult is it to get a green card through marriage? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/how-difficult-get-green-card-through-marriage-106254/)

jennifer Jan 13th 2002 8:06 pm

i am considering moving to the states and getting married. i have a friend who is willing to marry me to get me into the country. how easy is it? do the ins check up on you constantly or not? i just want to hear from someone who pulled it off!
and, once i am married and forms have been filed, can i work in the states or do i have to wait until my official green card comes through?

Bill The Cat Jan 13th 2002 8:31 pm

>i have a friend who is willing to marry me to get me into the country

Ah, first off, is the purpose of the marriage just to get you into the country? If it is, you may run across something called visa fraud. That could ban you from ever entering the country again. There are also hefty fines and prison sentences for attempting this.

>i just want to hear from someone who pulled it off!

Again, it sounds like a scam to me. If is, is your friend willing to go to prison for you? You better let him know what the consequences are for attempting this.

Bill The Cat

Onigiri Jan 13th 2002 9:05 pm

>
You need to explain why you are considering moving to the states. If you imagine that
we are sitting on some grand scheme that is better than what you have going for you,
tell us so.

>
    >
You and especially your friend need to check out the information on a couple of
websites that explain how this is done. Use a search engine and do a search of posts
in this newsgroup. Learn the vocabulary of those who are in the process and how they
go through the process.

>
They do not expect you to have a webcam in your bedroom, if that is what you mean.

>
    >
    >
Yes; you can work in the states. The question you ought to ask yourself is about your
chances of finding employment here (if you had the work permit) and how these stack
up with your chances of finding equivalent employment at home. And should you fail to
find employment here, would your good friend and husband support you until you do,
even if it be a "few" years ?

Meow Jan 13th 2002 10:22 pm

This might be just me only I can not believe U r actually putting yourself and your
friend in a situation where he can get imprisoned and fined, and thanks to someone
like you its harder for someone like me who got here to get married to the one whom
they love to death. This is why (and other reasons politician think its O.K.) they do
not want 245(i) got pulled and having hard time bringing back on. Go to hell :)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Susan Jan 14th 2002 1:13 am

It's ppl. like you that make it hard for legitimate ppl. like us that are truly in
love. You obviously have no clue what the whole process entails, and my advice would
be to give up now.!!

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Alvena Ferreira Jan 14th 2002 1:20 am

jennifer wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
1. What you are suggesting is visa fraud. It has a legal penalty for both you and the
US citizen involved in such a scheme. The citizen is liable for about a quarter
million and 5 years in the pen. You could be deported and banned from the US, once
they got tired of holding you in a detainment center, for whatever period of time
they chose.
2. The US citizen has to sign an affidavit of support for you, guaranteeing that the
citizen would repay any government means-tested benefits that you claimed for the
first 10 years...is he/she willing to do that?
3. You would have to prove that your relationship is bona fide at your adjustment of
status interview, which could be a few months to a couple of years from the time
you filed. Are you willing to live together for that period? Would you be able to
tell an INS officer your spouse's favorite food, favorite perfume, what side of
the bed you slept on, where the alarm clock is in the bedroom, and other personal
information of that nature? You would have to show legal co-mingling of finances,
such as bank accounts, utility bills, insurance policies and the like...are you
willing to do that?
4. If you do get to the states, and get work authorization, which can take up to 90
days, be aware that we are having what is called a recession. You may end up
working as a pizza delivery person, a cook in a restaurant, a stocker at Wal-Mart,
or some other meaningful employment....are you willing to do that? Why would you
want to do that if you have a decent job where you are now?
5. You will not get any sympathy from the people in this group. We all did it for
love. People like you make me sick. Do us a favor and crawl back under that
rock. Alvena
-----------------------
Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
posted for the purpose of discussion only. Locate an immigration attorney in your
area at: http://www.aila.org

Jim Vadek Jan 14th 2002 1:28 am

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

It is people like you who make it difficult for legitimate marrriages. So, let me
exercise political correctness by saying, in my opinion, you are: scum, a slut and a
whore... all for a greencard.

Rete Jan 14th 2002 1:32 am

Fraudulent marriages occur all the time in the US and elsewhere in the world. For the US, the INS will conduct a live and in-person interview with you and the USC spouse. It is pass or fail. Is it difficult not if you have all the right answers.

If caught, and people are caught, the terms are deportation for you with a ban on re-entering the US and for your USC friend, a large fine and possible federal imprisonment. Friendship is a valuable commodity in our lives but I would not place a value of the price on any friendship.

As Ongiri said there are places on the web for you to find your information, afraid this forum will not be helping you as we know your agenda to be one of fraud.

Rita

Jim Stumbo Jan 14th 2002 2:31 am

Not sure I like the way you are putting down people that deliver pizza, stock
shelves, and work in restaurants. They are people too, doing jobs. If no one stocked
the shelves, how would I buy things. Better yet, if no one delivered pizza, how would
I eat? A job is a job, some pay more, some less.

>
[usenetquote2]> > i am considering moving to the states and getting married. i have a friend who is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > willing to marry me to get me into the country. how easy is it? do the ins check[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > up on you constantly or not? i just want to hear from someone who pulled it off![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > and, once i am married and forms have been filed, can i work in the states or do[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > i have to wait until my official green card comes through?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Andrew Defaria Jan 14th 2002 4:44 am

Rete wrote:

>

Yes, and sometimes they even involve an alien and a USC :) ! (Or don't you think that
people often marry for money and not love? Actually marrying for love is a relatively
new concept in the history of man).

>
    >
    >

Actually the USC is rarely prosecuted.

However, I agree, such fraud is wrong and stupid and really hurts those of us who are
trying to do things correctly.

jennifer Jan 14th 2002 9:17 am

i'm wouldn't do this for money!

i love the way that i get condemned for what i wrote and the questions that i asked. the truth of the matter is....i'm not doing this for the money or just wanting to get into the states. like all u people out there who appear to be angry toward me....i am in love. the difficulty for me and the one thing that distinguishes you from me is that my love is for somebody of the same sex, another women, and marriage to her isn't a legal option for me. so please, don't preach to me on how i am scum, how i am heartless, when it is more difficult for people like me, people who are gay, people who are equally as in love as heterosexual people.

Alvena Ferreira Jan 14th 2002 10:34 am

Jim Stumbo wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
Jim, that was not a put-down. However, I think that oftentimes people see the US as
the "land of milk and honey" and everyone rich and living in big houses. Just trying
to point out to the original poster that unless she has good education and some luck,
she may get a demotion in job and pay by entering the US. Nothing more. All workers
have value and merit, otherwise their jobs would not exist. I know--I do workman's
comp case management for all of them. Consider the lowly highway worker: I cannot
drive down the road without the "dead dog and pothole man" who digs the ditches,
places the rip-rap, picks up the dead dogs and patches the holes. Not skilled but
important. Alvena
-----------------------
Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
posted for the purpose of discussion only. Locate an immigration attorney in your
area at: http://www.aila.org

Bonnie M Jan 14th 2002 11:41 am

Jennifer posted a second time stating she is involved with someone of the same sex as
her and that is the reason she was considering marrying her friend. Not an easy
situation to be in that is for sure. Consider how difficult it is for those of us who
are involved in hetrosexual relationships to do the K1. I am not homophobic and have
no knowledge of how same sex couples are dealt with by INS but would assume they hold
no hope of having her immigrate through normal channels..she should have told us the
entire story in her first posting and maybe the postings would have been different in
their tone.

[usenetquote2]> > i am considering moving to the states and getting married. i have a friend who is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > willing to marry me to get me into the country. how easy is it? do the ins check[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > up on you constantly or not? i just want to hear from someone who pulled it off![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > and, once i am married and forms have been filed, can i work in the states or do[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > i have to wait until my official green card comes through?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >

Betastar Jan 14th 2002 12:36 pm

This is a wonderful example of why you should give as much of your information as
possible when you first post.

All you told us is you have a friend willing to marry you to get you into the
country, and want to hear from someone who "pulled it off".

If you read that, what would you think?

IF you had given us all of the information up-front, you'd be more likely to meet up
with some sympathetic folks.

Your situation does indeed suck. Homosexual couples are not given any consideration
with immigration.

However, again consider the penalties both for you and for your friend should you be
found out. And all it would take is one person letting the INS know you're not living
as a married couple for that to happen.

Is there a reason your partner can't come to your country?

Your two posts, in the oder you posted them, are shown below:

On 14 Jan 2002 05:20:16 -0500, jennifer <[email protected]> spake:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Rete Jan 14th 2002 1:28 pm

Jennifer

Why don't you and your loved one consider migrating to Canada instead. Their liberal thinking has allowed them to officially accept homosexual marriages as legal. Also one can migrate to Canada as a landed resident without benefit of marriage far easier and faster than here in the US. Time frame would be about 12 to 18 months for final acceptance of paperwork if you meet the 75 point criteria.

If you are intent on coming to the US, look into a student visa, work visa, J visa, etc. Seek the counsel of a good immigration attorney who is familiar with all the various visa options open to foreigners. It need only be on a consultation basis.

It is unfortunate that the world is not ready for full acceptance of alternative lifestyles. Wish to well,

Rita

PS With your choice of lifestyle your skin has to be thick and your coming out on the newsgroup means the attacks may be stronger than the ones you previously received.