Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How difficult is it to arrange a Dog as excess luggage?

Wikiposts

How difficult is it to arrange a Dog as excess luggage?

Old Feb 27th 2008, 2:43 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How difficult is it to arrange a Dog as excess luggage?

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
excess luggage for the excess baggage...

If one were to do the above, no need to take it with - just send the mutt by mail.
Would she use PUPS?
Old Feb 27th 2008, 3:03 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Would she use PUPS?
I don't think it absolutely needs to be there on time.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 3:05 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
I don't think it absolutely needs to be there on time.
Well you don't want your package producing 'packages' along the way.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

We flew Heathrow to San Fran. Our boxer was around the 55lbs mark.
No chance of taking her in the cabin. I think with Virgin Cargo it was around £850.
Bit like immigration lawyers we found the pet shipping companies money for nothing though if you have other family members to organise then perhaps it's value for money.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 7:16 am
Just Joined

milkyjoe is just really nicemilkyjoe is just really nicemilkyjoe is just really nicemilkyjoe is just really nicemilkyjoe is just really nicemilkyjoe is just really nicemilkyjoe is just really nicemilkyjoe is just really nice

I flew my German Shepherd out with me with BA when I came over 6 years ago.He was picked up from my home in Cornwall by a company specializing in pet carrying 2 days before we flew and I picked him up at the other end.We flew Gatwick to Dallas and his ticket etc cost more than mine!
All I can say is that to me it was worth it!
Old Feb 28th 2008, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
What about killing it ..having it stuffed ...and wrap it as a gift ...

Say its for the MIL...
You could have a nice tea-party tableau with a couple of kittens
Old Feb 28th 2008, 7:34 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Sal... do you remember a posting some years back

where somebody wanted to bring some parrot over budgie from somewhere and somebody suggested letting it fly itself over ...

and a nutter animal lover went mad and said it was so cruel ....
Old Feb 28th 2008, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

where somebody wanted to bring some parrot over budgie from somewhere and somebody suggested letting it fly itself over ...

You're having me on lol lol

Were they going to hang a piece of cuttlefish from the plane or something?
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 12:30 am
Just Joined

LondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really niceLondonOllie is just really nice

I just tried to call BMI and of course got put through to an Indian call centre where they did not really understand what I was trying to explain.

We want to fly with our dog that is just under 15lbs to the USA and if possible want the dog in the cabin. Earlier post said that this was possible but the call centre said you can't take an animal in the cabin.

Does anyone have a number to call about this as I can't see much on the BMI website.

Ideally we want to fly into Florida, but we can also head to Texas too.

Cheers,

Ollie
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

wokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nice

Hi folks, thanks for all the replies.

I have been informed by several agents that it is not possible to go down the route of excess baggage- unless of course as someone suggested we have him stuffed which is not an option

I have however managed to secure him a place through a firm in Glasgow who will put him in kennels for two nights, take him to Glasgow airport and fly him to Houston via schiphol with KLM the day after we arrive for an all inclusive cost of £700., so I am pretty pleased with that, as some were quoting upwards of £1500!!

Thanks again
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray

Well to be fair, I think that would only have worked with pigeons.

But then again would not a pigeon try and return home?

Unless you could put it on a leash.... U Haul it behind the plane?
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 10:24 am
Critical Circuits

Terminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wokster
Hi folks, thanks for all the replies.

I have been informed by several agents that it is not possible to go down the route of excess baggage- unless of course as someone suggested we have him stuffed which is not an option

I have however managed to secure him a place through a firm in Glasgow who will put him in kennels for two nights, take him to Glasgow airport and fly him to Houston via schiphol with KLM the day after we arrive for an all inclusive cost of £700., so I am pretty pleased with that, as some were quoting upwards of £1500!!

Thanks again
I think it might be something with the airline and UK rabies/quarantine laws. AFAIK no animal can fly out of the UK as excess.

Our cat came as cargo, he flew out a few days after us and apart from a few days of shell shock he's settled in just fine.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 8:49 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be at least two questions going on here: 1) Can you have a dog in the cabin, and 2) Can you ship a dog as excess baggage.

It's also important to note the OP is flying UK to US, so comments on flying into the UK aren't helpful, except for comparison.

The dog in the cabin/under the seat thing depends on the size of the dog and the route. I believe that dogs can not be carried in the cabin for international flights, but I'm not sure ....

The excess baggage thing - definitely not possible going into the UK (because PETS regulations require the dog is shipped as cargo). However, it used to be that if you were flying to the US on the same plane as pooch, you could check in your dog as excess baggage (cost me 50 quid with BA). The dog goes into exactly the same place as dogs travelling as cargo. Now, this may have changed since the PETS scheme, but it seems if you are flying OUT OF the UK, not INTO, then PETs doesn't apply, surely?
Old Mar 4th 2008, 8:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wokster
Hi There,

I was just wondering how easy/difficult it is to arrange an airline to accept a Dog as excess baggage.

We will be using either Continental, B.A. or KLM if this helps.

I have contacted 3 pet transporters and the first one has came back to me with a quote of £920.00, but I am sure I have read on here that people have taken their pets as excess baggage for a fraction of this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Don't think you can fly out of the UK with a pet in the cabin. You can from France to the US and probably other Euro countries. Check on the weight restriction...Continental will take pets in the cabin if they weigh less than 10lbs.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 2:05 am
Just Joined

matt_griffiths is an unknown quantity at this point

AA will probably take your dog as excess luggage for about $150. AA fly direct to Houston from Gatwick airport. However AA will not be able to guarantee that your animal fly's on the same flight as you since it depends on the outside temperature in both London and Houston on the day you fly (suggesting your animal will be spending some time on the tarmac !!!). For this reason I am shipping my cat as Air Cargo with BA (who also go direct to Houston from Gatwick). Its costing around £500. One additional tip is that you can pay another $105 to have BA clear customs in the US. At least in DFW this saves a LOT of running back and forward yourself paperwork, and since the customs office closes at 5pm sharp, and your flight arrives mid-afternoon, at least gguaranteesyou will get your dog back on the day you land. Having said all this - im not doing until Monday 10th - so will let you know if I learn anything else. Hope this helps. Matt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.