Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How difficult is it to arrange a Dog as excess luggage?

Wikiposts

How difficult is it to arrange a Dog as excess luggage?

Old Feb 26th 2008, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

wokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nice
Default How difficult is it to arrange a Dog as excess luggage?

Hi There,

I was just wondering how easy/difficult it is to arrange an airline to accept a Dog as excess baggage.

We will be using either Continental, B.A. or KLM if this helps.

I have contacted 3 pet transporters and the first one has came back to me with a quote of £920.00, but I am sure I have read on here that people have taken their pets as excess baggage for a fraction of this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How difficult is it to arrange a Dog as excess luggage?

Originally Posted by wokster
Hi There,

I was just wondering how easy/difficult it is to arrange an airline to accept a Dog as excess baggage.

We will be using either Continental, B.A. or KLM if this helps.

I have contacted 3 pet transporters and the first one has came back to me with a quote of £920.00, but I am sure I have read on here that people have taken their pets as excess baggage for a fraction of this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi - I just took a cat excess baggage with United - £70. Wasn't difficult to arrange - the airline advised me of everything that I needed to do when I called them. If you search back through my posts some people on here gave me great advice.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

wokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nice

Thanks Ri-Mischief.

I meant to add that we are flying from Glasgow via either Newark (Continental), London (BA) or Schipholl (KLM) to Houston if this helps.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

What sort of dog is it?
We shipped a boxer and there was no suggestion of excess baggage or alternatives other than cargo.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

He is a Wheaten Terrier and is around 25KG.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

The latest quote we have had from passport for pets which is £1403 (and this includes a free crate)
Old Feb 27th 2008, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold

I know BMI lets you take on a pet as excess baggage and just have it on the floor in front of you

http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/plan...with-pets.aspx

I know they fly glasgow to Dallas through their partner airline (united)

From Manchester you can go to Dallas or San Antonio
Old Feb 27th 2008, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

United won't let you fly with the pet in the cabin from the UK as far as I know - they do internally. The reason I say this is because I had to transfer my cat into another box to do the internal flight in the cabin so I would have taken this option if it was available.

I have no experience of Glasgow - but I know at Heathrow they were great. Can't say the same about Dulles where they were distinctly unsympathetic to my plight of having to transfer the cat in an open area...but she was / is fine. My nerves were worse!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 6:00 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkieuk
I know BMI lets you take on a pet as excess baggage and just have it on the floor in front of you

http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/plan...with-pets.aspx

I know they fly glasgow to Dallas through their partner airline (united)

From Manchester you can go to Dallas or San Antonio
You can take your pet with you only if it fits under the seat and weights less than 15lbs...
Old Feb 27th 2008, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold

Yeah sorry about that I work in lbs not kilograms so thought 25kg=small dog but just done calculation and 25gk=55lbs. I was thinking a terrier was the same size as a small mini schnauzer (the dog I am familiar with dealing with)
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:13 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
You can take your pet with you only if it fits under the seat and weights less than 15lbs...
or can fit in one of the over head compartments.

A friend's dad once found a service vest for his dog. Would take the dog everywhere... even flew it to from LA to FL; took it aboard with him - in the seat right next to him - just because. No questions asked as he and the dog was protected under ADA. I am no way endorsing such behavior or actions.. just an example to what lengths people go.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Looked in to BMI and United, but it seem you have to fly Glasgow, London, Dallas, Houston. We also have 2 kids under 3, so this would not be feasible for kids or dog unfortunately.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:16 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

What about killing it ..having it stuffed ...and wrap it as a gift ...

Say its for the MIL...
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:35 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

Say its for the MIL...
Try origami.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 2:42 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

Say its for the MIL...
excess luggage for the excess baggage...

If one were to do the above, no need to take it with - just send the mutt by mail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.