British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   How did you transport financial documents etc ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/how-did-you-transport-financial-documents-etc-916565/)

kph100 Aug 27th 2018 9:10 pm

How did you transport financial documents etc ?

Ok, in planning stages for move after spouse Visa completes.

Throwing plenty of crap we collected over the years away, getting an idea of what we are going to sell, donate and what we want to take with us.
How did people move documents such as financial , tax, statements and other such identifiable and important docs.

I mean things like Birth certs, marriage certs we will obviously carry, but like tax returns, wage slips bank statements, are they safe to include in a box in the container shipment ?

Anything else that needs special transport suggestions will be welcome, lost going around in the head at present :)

Thanks

cranston Aug 27th 2018 9:48 pm

Re: How did you transport financial documents etc ?

Originally Posted by kph100 (Post 12555211)
How did people move documents such....... but like tax returns, wage slips bank statements

PDFs stored in 3 different online locations. Does not work for official docs (birth, marriage certs etc) but for bank statements etc it sure does.

Giantaxe Aug 27th 2018 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by kph100 (Post 12555211)
Ok, in planning stages for move after spouse Visa completes.

Throwing plenty of crap we collected over the years away, getting an idea of what we are going to sell, donate and what we want to take with us.
How did people move documents such as financial , tax, statements and other such identifiable and important docs.

I mean things like Birth certs, marriage certs we will obviously carry, but like tax returns, wage slips bank statements, are they safe to include in a box in the container shipment ?

Anything else that needs special transport suggestions will be welcome, lost going around in the head at present :)

Thanks

Scan what you need and store them in the cloud or clouds. Then start shredding...

kph100 Aug 27th 2018 10:04 pm

Is that ok with annual tax assessment forms to scan and shred ?

durham_lad Aug 28th 2018 10:35 am

Originally Posted by kph100 (Post 12555241)
Is that ok with annual tax assessment forms to scan and shred ?

I'm sure it is.

I have filed online with the IRS for many years and HMRC for the last 2 years so have no official paper copies, just pdf versions of the returns. I access all my pension, interest and investment income statements online as well. I am a paperless man with more than just his head in the Cloud(s).

penguinsix Aug 28th 2018 2:21 pm

ScanSnap was the greatest purchase I ever made for storing stuff. It's a sheet feed high speed scanner. I scan EVERYTHING from receipts to tax records to whatever--its' all on a PDF and stored on a USB drive (or three). Far far easier than dealing with paper. Was able to throw away an entire 4-door file cabinet full of documents with just one USB key.

kph100 Aug 28th 2018 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 12555558)
ScanSnap was the greatest purchase I ever made for storing stuff. It's a sheet feed high speed scanner. I scan EVERYTHING from receipts to tax records to whatever--its' all on a PDF and stored on a USB drive (or three). Far far easier than dealing with paper. Was able to throw away an entire 4-door file cabinet full of documents with just one USB key.

What model of Scan Snap do you have ? looks like a great idea, have a combined printer / scanner but at one page a time going to take ages ..lol

penguinsix Aug 28th 2018 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by kph100 (Post 12555579)
What model of Scan Snap do you have ? looks like a great idea, have a combined printer / scanner but at one page a time going to take ages ..lol

I have the biggest model. Does 25 pages a minute. Comes with some optical character recognition software so it can 'read' some documents but generally I do simple PDFs as they are faster.

ScanSnap iX500 Wireless Duplex Scanner for Mac & PC - Fujitsu United States