Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

how did you ship your belongings?

Wikiposts

how did you ship your belongings?

Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how did you ship your belongings?

Originally Posted by krizzy
I got a free ioniser......... its a Holmes one .....it came with my air cleaner.......
ain't they abit massive compared to the cheapo £10 ones from argos?
Old Jul 28th 2005, 1:02 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
ain't they abit massive compared to the cheapo £10 ones from argos?
Its about 8 inches by 7.......

Cheapo ones sometimes don't work well.....we went through a lot of them in the UK till we found one that did.....and it was not cheap cheap........
Old Jul 28th 2005, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

BlightyBoy is on a distinguished road

I know everyone says to ditch your electrical equipment and buy new in the US but I had lots of professional gear that would have cost too much to replace. I bought a big transformer for my studio and a small one for a good ghetto-blaster I had. The small one only cost about $14 and is small enough to take around the house. I regret getting rid of my food processor now as I could have just used the small transformer. Here's a link:

http://www.voltageconverters.com/

The make I use is from AED international.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 2:56 am
Just Joined

Hannahmichelle is just really niceHannahmichelle is just really niceHannahmichelle is just really niceHannahmichelle is just really niceHannahmichelle is just really niceHannahmichelle is just really niceHannahmichelle is just really niceHannahmichelle is just really niceHannahmichelle is just really niceHannahmichelle is just really niceHannahmichelle is just really nice

Thank you everyone for all your words of wisdom. You've mentioned quite a few things that hadn't occured to me which hopefully make our move much smoother. Though - do these things ever go REALLY smoothly?

Han
Old Jul 28th 2005, 4:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlightyBoy
I know everyone says to ditch your electrical equipment and buy new in the US but I had lots of professional gear that would have cost too much to replace. I bought a big transformer for my studio and a small one for a good ghetto-blaster I had. The small one only cost about $14 and is small enough to take around the house. I regret getting rid of my food processor now as I could have just used the small transformer. Here's a link:

http://www.voltageconverters.com/

The make I use is from AED international.
Thing is, those transformers, unless you get a good one, over heat quite a lot, and aren't meant for continous use.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

BlightyBoy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bob
Thing is, those transformers, unless you get a good one, over heat quite a lot, and aren't meant for continous use.
Not true with my two. I have them on all day, they are built for continous use. Ok, I've got good ones but $14 isn't bad for the small one. If you look at the site it tells you whether they are for continous use or not. You may be thinking of those $10 things from Brookstone?
I even emailed the company before purchasing as I had heard that they were constantly draining energy but they assured me that it was just using it when it needed it.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

MiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dimsie
Hi

When I came over last year I used Excess Baggage Company based in London.
I used them too and not a sausage was broken or damaged....
Old Jul 29th 2005, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MiniBrit
I used them too and not a sausage was broken or damaged....

customs let you in with sausages!!!???
Old Jul 29th 2005, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

MiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
customs let you in with sausages!!!???
of course, I never go anywhere without my lucky sausage!
Old Jul 30th 2005, 6:25 am
Banned

Terrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to behold

Put everything I bought over in a suitcase, anything that did'nt fit in there I gave to my parents and brother, anything they did'nt want I sold.