Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How did you meet your fiance/spouse?

How did you meet your fiance/spouse?

Old Oct 16th 2002, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all
Default How did you meet your fiance/spouse?

Sitting here reading all these posts, has me wondering how there are so many people with long distance, international relationships? Is it a sign of the times? It's nice to know there are alot of us out there. Would love to hear your stories
Old Oct 16th 2002, 7:00 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did you meet your fiance/spouse?

Originally posted by katnap8:
Sitting here reading all these posts, has me wondering how there are so many people with long distance, international relationships? Is it a sign of the times? It's nice to know there are alot of us out there. Would love to hear your stories
Have you ever been to England - the girls are ugly - you have to go abroad to find something half decent!

Joke! Before Scarlett jumps in her car and starts heading south with a cricket bat in hand.

Mines easy. I was asked by a freind to work in a pub in York one lunchtime because he was short staffed. Ellen was on vacation driving up to Edinburgh and stopped for lunch. I served her lunch and that was that! We met for about an hour, didn't meet again for another month when I went to Boston for a week to see her, we married within 6 months and have been happily married for 7 years.

Patrick
Old Oct 16th 2002, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

mrsstrickland is an unknown quantity at this point

me and my husband met in a Napster chat room, spoke for a long time and then after huge telephone bills on both sides of the water, i decided to go meet him, which i did and it was the best thing i did in my life, apart from being seperated because of the INS we are very happily married, and im looking forward to getting home to the US,
i think with todays technology it makes meeting people a lot easier, whereas in years gone by people just wrote to each other or met via the armed forces or on holiday, i remember my first POE, the INS officer asked me why i was coming to the US, and i said to visit my boyfriend, he asked how we met and i said via the internet, and he asked if i had ever met him, and i said that was the reason i was there, and he gave me some lecture about the 'internet' and how it was very dangerous and that young women shouldnt be travelling across the world and meeting these strange men. but he let me through and i met my USC when i got through customs,
well that is my story
Old Oct 16th 2002, 1:36 pm
ScarlettHill

Originally posted by Patrick:

Have you ever been to England - the girls are ugly - you have to go abroad to find something half decent!

Joke! Before Scarlett jumps in her car and starts heading south with a cricket bat in hand.

Mines easy. I was asked by a freind to work in a pub in York one lunchtime because he was short staffed. Ellen was on vacation driving up to Edinburgh and stopped for lunch. I served her lunch and that was that! We met for about an hour, didn't meet again for another month when I went to Boston for a week to see her, we married within 6 months and have been happily married for 7 years.

Patrick
My problem was english men couldn't cope with how stunningly beautiful I am - ho hum

Old Oct 16th 2002, 2:06 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

We met through a mutual interest-an online game we both really liked. We were very intrigued with each other, found we had tons in common and we really clicked! We got to know each other as friends then we went to yahoo chat, then voice chat, then phone...and after a few months I flew to Canada to meet him in person. I got a lot of crap at the Canadian POE because I said the magic word: we met "online". Anyway, I got through and we met in a museum. We fell in love and still visit as much as we can, and we talk every day. We're getting married this Spring!

Juliet
Old Oct 16th 2002, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

saledevo is an unknown quantity at this point

Tony (UKC) and I met by accident in a compuserve chat room 3 years ago. After many emails, instant msgs and phone calls we finally met in April 2000. We have been together ever since and only spend up to 3 months apart at a time (except for now, waiting for NSC!!!) He proposed on June 15 and we hope to get married on Feb 4, the anniversary of the nite we "met" on line. This is the second marriage for each of us.
sal
Old Oct 16th 2002, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

jsv888 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by saledevo:
Tony (UKC) and I met by accident in a compuserve chat room 3 years ago. After many emails, instant msgs and phone calls we finally met in April 2000. We have been together ever since and only spend up to 3 months apart at a time (except for now, waiting for NSC!!!) He proposed on June 15 and we hope to get married on Feb 4, the anniversary of the nite we "met" on line. This is the second marriage for each of us.
sal
D (UKC) and I (USC) worked for a global company. We had the same job in different countries. We met at a global training conference and then went back to our respective countries and yahoo messengered 4 hours a day for the next 3 months. I left the company and moved to Holland to be with him. We got married 6 mo later. Then the company moved us to the UK where we lived for a year. And now we're **trying**to move to the US. He's in the UK and I'm here just waiting for the government to get off its ass and grant him a K3 (he is leaving the company and thus can't get work visa). We've been apart for 3.5 months. Interesting reading how we all met. Good thread!
Old Oct 16th 2002, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Aliluv is an unknown quantity at this point

I met my husband at the local Oktoberfest (he is German) he was here for 6 months visitng his brother (who married a USC)
we only had a few months together and both wanted more time so he went home for 5 months then returned, we fell in love and he had to go home again for 4 months so when he came back we decided to get married so he would not have to go home. We are currently in AOS process (he has fingerprinting on Oct 18th).

Ali

p.s. It's very interesting to see lots of couples met on the internet! it's really cool.

We return to the oktoberfest every year to celebrate our anniversary of meeting (it's been 2 years)
Old Oct 16th 2002, 6:16 pm
Scott Tiger

Hello,

Here is my story :

I started a PhD in NYC back in 1997.
I met my wife at the City College of New York where she was also studying.
We were going out together for more than 6 months

Then at the end of the academic 1998 I decided to come back to my home
country because I realized that I was not cut out for research.

We have been keeping in touch since then : I flew to the US or she came to
my country at least three times a year.

She has been deep in my heart and my mind for more than four years.

We were calling each other almost everyday.

A few weeks after Sept.11 2001, I came to the US for less than three months
    : I really felt the need to be closed to my beloved and to help her to
overcome this tragedy.

Then we decided to get married in NYC.

I came back to my home country and we started the I-130 process.

Seven months later I got my interview and I was the happiest man on Earth !

Eventually we will be together to share our love !

Regards.
Scott.

"katnap8" wrote in message
news:445131.1034749557@britishexpats-
.com
    > Sitting here reading all these posts, has me wondering how there are so
    > many people with long distance, international relationships? Is it a
    > sign of the times? It's nice to know there are alot of us out there.
    > Would love to hear your stories
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 16th 2002, 6:29 pm
Steve And Lisa

Online.....Steve (UKC) and I (USC) were hosts on MSN back in early 1997, met
in person summer of 1998....married spur of the moment in the fall of 1998.

--
Lisa
Our INS Journey from I-130 to N-400 thus far..............
www.britsintheus.com/marriednhappy/timeline-aos.htm

Old Oct 16th 2002, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

lexelf is an unknown quantity at this point

i met dan on an mIRC chatroom. i was giving up on my last relationship *after a year of being ignored by my ex i got it through my thick head "hey...he doesn't like me anymore" but i had 3 years with him prior to that so...bad habit* ANYWAY, dan and i played online games for awhile, and less than a week later i made the move and we started dating. a week after that we were so madly in love we basically got engaged! 8 months later i was on a plane after graduation to stay with him for 2 months, we made our engagement final, and here i am desperately trying to plan my wedding and figure out what type of visa he needs

btw--great subject very interesting reads
Old Oct 16th 2002, 7:12 pm
Margaret

I'm Canadian, he's USC. I met mine on an over 40's chat in May 2001.
I was fairly new to the "chat scene" and was pretty much just curious
at the time to see how it all worked. I got to talking to him and
another woman from Quebec. When I had to leave, he asked me for my
email address. I was hesitant after hearing all the horror stories
but took the chance. Started emailing back and forth to each other
and then we got into messenger. Four months later he came to see me
in Canada. He proposed to me then. My son and I went to see him in
November 2001 and in December filed for the K1 petition. I went back
to see him in April of this year, had my interview at the consulate in
June and flew over 5 days after that. We were married July 1 and I
cannot be happier.

katnap8 wrote in message news:...

Old Oct 16th 2002, 7:53 pm
Jennifer

katnap8 wrote in message news:...

Well, we're probably the minority here as we did not meet online...but
the first day I was moving into my new apartment, in a new state that
I didn't know anyone in (born & raised in Santa Monica, California &
just up and decided one day to move to Oregon, just me & my 8 yr.
son). I was compelled to move - and now I know why.

I was walking up the stairs carrying boxes...Peter was coming
downstairs...introduced ourselves (he was my next door neighbor,
landscape architect from the Netherlands in the US on a J1 visa for an
internship) - and that was IT! Electricity. The stuff that faerie
tales are made of. Love. We met in July 2001 and applied for the K-1
in January 2002. We married on June 7, 2002.

: ) What's your story?

Take care.

Jennifer (& Peter)
US/NL in Portland, OR

Old Oct 16th 2002, 8:16 pm
A-Lee

I met my husband when I placed a penpal ad on one of the internet sites and
he thought he would write me an email and ask me if I would answer him back.
I instantly (cable modem is a blessing) answered his email asking him why I
would not write him back and he then again wrote back telling me that no
American woman would write him back (he is from the Philippines). When I
said, my eyes knows no skin color, that started a beautiful online
friendship ONLY. I had just broken up form a long - long distance
relationship - 3 months before. I wanted no one in my life as a permanent
fixture.

That was March 6, 2001.

Chats on Yahoo, MSN, phone calls, SMS messages on ICQ, Emails.......I
actually was kidding with him when I said if he wrote me 10,000 emails I
would marry him. He passed that a long time ago....10,000 EMAILS??? Is he
crazy?? Hahahahahahahaha When his instant messengers were not working, we
would send emails back and forth like it was an instant messengers.....GOSH!
I know can't believe he wrote me over 10,000 emails...LOL! He must have
been really determined to marry me..............

In May 2002, I flew over for 1 month to visit and married him 2 weeks later
after I got there. Now the process of bringing him here.........the
waiting.......ugh! LOL! But we both have lots of patience and though we
miss each other dearly, we will be together in 1-12 months.....depending on
how long INS wants to drag it out.....lol

Ambria
http://www.ambrialee.com/time-
line/timeline.html
- My Timeline

"katnap8" wrote in message
news:445131.1034749557@britishexpats-
.com
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 16th 2002, 8:23 pm
rec
Forum Regular

rec is an unknown quantity at this point

I (USC) put up an ad on an internet dating service in Dec of 2000. I thought the internet beat blind dates b/c you were able to learn about the person before meeting and the internet reaches out to a much larger audience (just imagine not meeting your "true" love just b/c they lived somewhere else). I did not expect to meet a non-USC, but Eli (Canadian) responded to my ad, and we had so much in common. Soon we were chatting on line and able to finish each other's sentences. After 4 months of emails, chatting, writting letters, and phone conversations she flew down to spend 4 days with me in April 2001.

That was followed by 2 trips to Montreal for me. Each visit we grew closer together. After a kayaking trip in the Adirondacks and her flying down to NJ for Labor day, we realized we both were in love. I started to see her more often by driving the 6+ hours to Montreal for weekend visits. I proposed in April of 2002 while we were in Orlando for vacation (she had never been to Disney). We will have a religous wedding ceremony with all of our guests, friends, and family in June 2003 in Montreal.

Once we found out the length of the immigration process, we decided to have a civil ceremony in Las Vegas to start the paperwork early. We had the civil ceremony on Sept 21, 2002. We hope to have the k3 Visa by the time our "real" wedding arrives in June.

We both didn't think we would find our one, true love on line. But it happened. And we both thank God that she saw and clicked on my ad which started it all. I don't think I could have found someone who is so compatible with me in any place other than the internet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.