Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How did you get a visa?

How did you get a visa?

Old Jul 5th 2016, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

ZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did you get a visa?

Originally Posted by mproudfoot
I've been a consultant with a US software company for several years now (indirectly via a UK partner at first, and now directly), working remotely from the UK but covering clients around the world. They sponsored me for a H1B this year - paperwork went in by end of March, selected in the lottery in within a few weeks (mid-April), and the application was approved by UCSIC by the first week of May. Was quite surprised at how quickly it happened given that I have no degree education (but over 16 years of experience in the field).
Thanks for the response
Old Jul 5th 2016, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

TN route via 12 years of Canadian TWV, Permanent residence and Citizenship, and qualifying under the "Engineer" category of TN.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

This won't help you at all but, since you asked ...
  • For several years I worked as a software engineer for a company in the UK which had a business relationship with a small US software company.
  • During this time I got to know the founders of the US company. They, apparently, got the idea that I was very good at what I did, and they offered me a job, working for them in the US.
  • I had a lot of accrued vacation and used some of it to go and visit the US for 4 weeks to try to decide whether or not I wanted to move there.
  • Once I made my decision, the US company and their attorney started the necessary paperwork for an H1-B visa application.
  • Since this was back in the "good old days" the whole H1-B visa process took less than 8 weeks (it started at the beginning of December 1986 and I had the visa in my passport before the end of January 1987)
Your mileage may vary (and, if you end up going for a non cap-exempt H1-B visa, your timescale will be massively longer and will almost certainly involve a lottery along the way ...)
Old Jul 6th 2016, 1:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Applied in 1988 for a green card on the basis of husband having family (close family) in the US. Green card approved in 1989 for us all, hubby,me and two kids. Still here 27 years later.

This wouldn't happen now. Family visa's take much longer to get.
Old Jul 6th 2016, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

callmetoots is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by plums
I have a degree in Animation and ran my own freelance business for 5 years after graduating. I was approached by a US non profit association looking for a certain type of animation for their video and wanted to replicate something similar to what I had on my website. Worked with them freelance from the U.K. . They loved my work and offered to take me on as an intern/trainee in their design department.

I was sponsored for a J1 moved to the US for a one year training plan.
They extended the training plan to 18 months. Impressed with my training and work ethic.

Towards the end of my internship I was offered a job and they sponsored me for an H1b visa, I was very fortunate to intern with a non profit as they are H1b cap exempt and were able to file at any time.

I currently work for this associations publications department as a graphic designer and digital content creator.

No perminant plans in my future, but enjoying my time here.

I haven't read many design related profession visa routes. Thanks for allowing me to share my journey.
Thank you for sharing. I thought the non profits which were h1b exempt were universities and research orgs that are affiliated with them?
Old Jul 6th 2016, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

shen050 is an unknown quantity at this point

Came over on an H4 visa, applied for a job and got sponsored for an H1B in the next cycle. I work in insurance and had three years' experience when I moved over.

Last edited by shen050; Jul 6th 2016 at 10:54 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 12:41 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callmetoots
Thank you for sharing. I thought the non profits which were h1b exempt were universities and research orgs that are affiliated with them?
All non-profits are exempt from the H1B cap.

Rene
Old Jul 7th 2016, 3:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
All non-profits are exempt from the H1B cap.

Rene
https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...c21c060606.pdf

Not quite.

A not for profit institution of higher education
A not for profit entity related or affiliated to an institution of higher education
A not for profit research organization or a governmental research organization
Old Jul 7th 2016, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Eggx is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: How did you get a visa?

Originally Posted by Canveydave
Applied to a job with a British Company who hold E2 status, got the job, visited the embassy, got on the plane.

Not a permanent solution to living here, but I'm enjoying the 5 years I have got
Is there any way to tell, which companies have E2 status? Can i assume that all British companies would have this facility?
Old Jul 7th 2016, 11:43 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eggx
Is there any way to tell, which companies have E2 status?
Yes.

Can i assume that all British companies would have this facility?
No.

Ian
Old Jul 9th 2016, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

PeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond repute

Worked for a company in Europe for a year and a half I started the company internet division.

Applied for L1A got refused twice.

Company applied for blanket permission. This was approved.

Transferred to NYC.

3 years of gnashing of teeth I have my Green card.

Now finding it impossible to get another job. NYC brutally competitive.

Good luck. Not easy.

Last edited by PeterFrank; Jul 9th 2016 at 11:08 am.
Old Jul 11th 2016, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ZoeT90
Hi Sarah, thanks for your reply.

May I ask what job? Sorry to be nosey - its just nice to find out all the different jobs that people have applied for.

How did you apply for the job?

Thanks,

Z
Husband applied for job. Interactive designer. Applied via Monster.com
Old Jul 12th 2016, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

pejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond reputepejp has a reputation beyond repute

Was with my company in London for 4 years when they asked if I wanted to move to NYC. That was 2007. I moved over on an L1B in 2008, and then switched to an H1B in 2010ish (I think)...I was lucky, the financial crisis meant H1B was nowhere near as subscribed as it usually is. 2012/2013 my company started the GC process. I was EB3 category, and I got the GC in early summer '15. Left school after failing A-Levels at the age of 17, and I have no professional qualifications. Not saying it's common, but you'll get a lot of people here who make out that you don't stand a chance unless you're a rocket scientist. It's a lot more nuanced than that.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Came on E3 visa for Australians, worked in healthcare, specialized field. Renewed 3 or 4 times. Now on green card due to marriage to US citizen.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

H1B sponsored by a medical residency program, then sponsored for an EB-2 green card by an academic medical center.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.