Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How did you get to the US?

View Poll Results: How did you get to the US?
Family
6.25%
Work
38.39%
Student / education
2.68%
Diversity lottery
3.57%
Money/business
5.36%
Exchange visitor
0.89%
Other
2.68%
Marriage to USC
40.18%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

How did you get to the US?

Old Jul 31st 2009, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

BritannicAmericana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How did you get to the US?

I'm interested in hearing how people on here got to the US. I have read the different possible ways on the guide (thanks for that guide), and I just wanted to know which ways are easiest / most common.

So, did you get there by family, work, education, exchange, business/money, diversity lottery?

Thanks.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 3:33 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did you get to the US?

Originally Posted by BritannicAmericana
I'm interested in hearing how people on here got to the US. I have read the different possible ways on the guide (thanks for that guide), and I just wanted to know which ways are easiest / most common.

So, did you get there by family, work, education, exchange, business/money, diversity lottery?

Thanks.
You forgot the easiest easy way, marriage. Unless of course you have grouped that under family.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 3:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
You forgot the easiest easy way, marriage. Unless of course you have grouped that under family.
Yep, same here...I don't see the option "Marriage to a USC" in your list, unless you grouped it under "Family". But that's how my husband got here...K-1 fiance visa.

Rene
Old Jul 31st 2009, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

What do I put if I have come here by different ways at different times (so far, student, exchange visitor and work all apply.)
Old Jul 31st 2009, 3:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The OP also didn't specify long-term stay or short-term stay in the USA. Some of the methods in the poll don't lead to a green card directly.

Rene
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:10 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
Perhaps you could ask the mods to scrap this poll/thread and re post with modifications suggested?
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:20 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Perhaps you could ask the mods to scrap this poll/thread and re post with modifications suggested?
If you do, post in the USA forum since this one is mostly for current back n' forthers and you'll get more replies from people 'here', and because we don't usually 'do' polls in the immigration forums.

edit: marriage-based cases are under 'family' from the official bods.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I have moved the thread to the USA forum and have edited the Poll to include Marriage to a USC.

Originally Posted by meauxna
If you do, post in the USA forum since this one is mostly for current back n' forthers and you'll get more replies from people 'here', and because we don't usually 'do' polls in the immigration forums.

edit: marriage-based cases are under 'family' from the official bods.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
I have moved the thread to the USA forum and have edited the Poll to include Marriage to a USC.
Oh, shoot. I already answered in the Family category.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I can't fiddle with the results ... sorry about that.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Well, I came here as a student, but married a USC and that is how I am still here.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:31 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

BA,

Writing a thesis? Idle curiosity? Or wanting to abandon Merry Old and get to the New World as expeditiously as you can?

Just curious!

Regards, JEff

I'm interested in hearing how people on here got to the US ... and I just wanted to know which ways are easiest / most common.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:36 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

s,

He also forgot 'surreptitiously', a very common method

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by sime303
Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

I'm interested in hearing how people on here got to the US.

American Airlines Boeing 767 from Manchester to Chicago.

Jim
Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

I am reminded of Lenny Henry in character as Grandpa Deakus discussing his emigration from Jamaica to the UK:
"I arrived in Hengland in am, am, am... a boat"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.