Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How did you get a credit history in the US?

How did you get a credit history in the US?

Old Dec 6th 2011, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did you get a credit history in the US?

Slow and steady wins the race.

I wasn't able to transfer any credit history from the UK. After a while, I was able to get a $500 credit card which I used for groceries for a year, paying it off in full every month. After a year I got it upgraded to $2000. Then I got a car loan, at a reasonably expensive rate, and have been paying that off dilligently.

Now I wake up to at least 4 credit card offers through the door every morning. I'm a real person at last.

I have found credit unions easier to deal with than banks. The credit unions I have dealt with have been more understanding and helpful in finding the best solution to get a credit history established. That's just my own personal experience, of course.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 5:42 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Secured credit card (i.e. deposit with the bank) is the simplest way, but although it creates a record the record isn't that impressive. If they're looking for a specific score it would take years to get a really good one.

The other problem is that the credit agency only keeps stuff going back seven years usually, so if you leave and then come back you still have no credit record.

I agree on the Amex transfer, that's one of the best ways to do it, but that doesn't help if you've only just gotten an Amex card. But it does solve the problem with leaving and coming back.

Frankly I would start making a stink with the state dept of labor etc. if as a recent immigrant I was turned down on that basis because it's obviously an impossible requirement to comply with. It probably won't help you but if the employer starts getting letters from the DOL they might rethink the policy and the more employers who rethink, the less of a problem it will be.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 5:47 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
it all based on your SSN and your
spending ..takes about a year of normal use to get anywhere
Actually just on this point, I've just had this problem - make sure the bank or whoever issues the credit does use your SSN. If you opened a bank account say with bank X before you had your SSN then they might be using some holding number instead of an SSN so Equifax or whoever can't create a file for you.

My problem was that the bank had some stuff under my SSN and other stuff under some made up number so they kept thinking they were dealing with two different people!
Old Dec 7th 2011, 5:48 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Chrisdc
I've been pretty happy with Bank of America, but I'm looking to switch to Ally or Simple (for fewer fees.) The cost of ATM withdrawals is a scandal imho.
Secured credit cards have fees - the regular cards usually don't or they're less. Remember to switch credit cards after you've had the secure one long enough for them to trust you.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 5:54 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Remember to switch credit cards after you've had the secure one long enough for them to trust you.
Problem here is if you close the account, then you've just dinged your fledgling score by closing your oldest account. And at the noob level, lack of history is one of the big dingers you can't do much about.

My recommendation is to chose a secured card from one of the big banks and keep it. The fees are minimal wrt the savings you can enjoy by having a good score.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Leo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really nice

So, a few points to check and questions:

1) I *will* be able to open a bank account e.g. at Chase when I arrive on Friday afternoon even though I won't have an SSN for 2 weeks?
2) I *will* be able to get a secured credit card with them at the same time?
3) As soon as I get my SSN, I should give it to Chase and get them to ensure they're no longer using any temporary numbers etc and to consolidate records.
4) How long do I then need to wait before getting a 'real' credit card? Some say 12 months, some say 3 months - will it hurt my credit record to ask Chase after 3 months if they'll consider me for a real one?

I'm sure every new expat wonders these points!
Old Dec 7th 2011, 6:12 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leo_Loves
So, a few points to check and questions:

1) I *will* be able to open a bank account e.g. at Chase when I arrive on Friday afternoon even though I won't have an SSN for 2 weeks?
3) As soon as I get my SSN, I should give it to Chase and get them to ensure they're no longer using any temporary numbers etc and to consolidate records.
4) How long do I then need to wait before getting a 'real' credit card? Some say 12 months, some say 3 months - will it hurt my credit record to ask Chase after 3 months if they'll consider me for a real one?

I'm sure every new expat wonders these points!
Chase where? A Chase branch on the island of Manhattan and you'll probably be okay. Choose one in Sticksville, West Virginia, and they'll probably call the cops on ya.

Also, the big banks like rich customers. Have a million or two sitting in their accounts and you'll be assigned your own personal banker with magic mushroom powers. Put in a hundred bucks to keep it open for your first pay check and you'll be treated like the rest of the animals.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Leo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really niceLeo_Loves is just really nice

NYC
Old Dec 7th 2011, 7:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leo_Loves
It's confusing to read your posts sometimes... you make a statement, but then throw in a "?" which makes it look like you're asking a question, but you're not really.

There is no upward inflection on the Internet.

Ian
Old Dec 7th 2011, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, sorry. I save all my communication powers for my working day - not a good idea when I'm seeking advice after-hours

I'll try and adjust
Old Dec 7th 2011, 11:14 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Problem here is if you close the account, then you've just dinged your fledgling score by closing your oldest account. And at the noob level, lack of history is one of the big dingers you can't do much about.

My recommendation is to chose a secured card from one of the big banks and keep it. The fees are minimal wrt the savings you can enjoy by having a good score.
You can sometimes convert a secure credit card account to a different type with no fee. Need to make sure it's a conversion though - not a closure of one and an opening of another.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 12:02 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by tonrob
You can sometimes convert a secure credit card account to a different type with no fee. Need to make sure it's a conversion though - not a closure of one and an opening of another.
Yep.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by tonrob
WF told me my secure card would 'mature' into a normal CC on the 1st anniversary of it being opened, which is a few weeks away now. And I hope I then get my $1000 back!
Old Dec 8th 2011, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy
And I hope I then get my $1000 back!
More likely, you'll get a $1000 credit on the card which you can't convert back to cash, and will need to spend that much to break even.

Ian
Old Dec 8th 2011, 5:06 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Doesn't appear to be a problem based on what I can see on my credit report. Shows paid up to x date of the changeover, doesn't affect the credit score.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.