Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to deal with leaving family behind?

How to deal with leaving family behind?

Old Sep 30th 2008, 7:43 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to deal with leaving family behind?

Old Oct 1st 2008, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by choochoo
hi there.

i totally understand how you feel, leaving families behind. most especially if the family ties are very close. i left my home country 6 years ago, i come with husband and my daughter to america. i left my parents back home. when i arrived in america, i have nobody, no relatives, no friends, nobody except my husband and my daughter. i was a hard, very hard adjustment on my part. but as time goes on, i got used to the way of life here. i got adjusted living far from my parents and realtives that i left back. yes it was very hard to leave my relatives and parents but i can say now that since my family is with me, my husband and daughter, we are now so very very close and very bonded because there is nobody here except us...

there are good points and bad points in leaving families behind.. soon, you will get over it and you can adjust very well with how the way things are here in america. good luck to you
I left England when I 26, leaving all my friends and family behind. It was hard to start off with but with a little determination, some self reflection, courage and honesty I got myself sorted out. I actually have a 90 yr old great aunt living in OK after leaving England during WWII.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 9:58 pm
\o/

OiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MrsY
We are in the process of emigrating to Seattle in Oct, husband has new job in US. We also have two young boys, 3.5 and 6 months. I was wondering how your family's have reacted and how you deal with taking the kids away from the grandparents. In Laws are quite old and we have no idea if they will come out and visit. She is very close to my eldest so will have a tough time of it and we sometimes are not even sure she realises we are really going!! Am kind of worried that my husband will come back through guilt of his mum. I have to say that our family has had very mixed reactions so wanted other people's family reactions.
If they are beyond visiting age it might pay you to have them setup with the resources and know how on how to do a web cam conference with you while in the USA.
We do web cams every weekend now with our kids and their grandparents, so at least they get to interact with them a little bit via the computer.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Because blood is thicker than water.
Not always true
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 2:34 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How to deal with leaving family behind?

Originally Posted by lolly
Not always true
Well perhaps you are right. _John_ should tell his mother farewell, and that he won't be seeing her again, because she is too miserable. Say goodbye to the grandchildren, and that he is taking them to the US, and she won't be seeing them again. All sorted.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 11:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Not always true

Totally agree lolly........ not everyone is lucky enough to have parents that deserve the title.

Originally Posted by Mallory
Well perhaps you are right. _John_ should tell his mother farewell, and that he won't be seeing her again, because she is too miserable. Say goodbye to the grandchildren, and that he is taking them to the US, and she won't be seeing them again. All sorted.
Mallory........in the real world there bad people, there are cruel people and there are people that will lie cheat and abuse and in some cases these people are parents and they commit some of these atrocities on their own families. So saying blood is thicker than water really is not always true.....
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 11:21 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Not always true
Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Totally agree lolly........ not everyone is lucky enough to have parents that deserve the title.

Mallory........in the real world there bad people, there are cruel people and there are people that will lie cheat and abuse and in some cases these people are parents and they commit some of these atrocities on their own families. So saying blood is thicker than water really is not always true.....
I am with you guys on this one, I have never believed in the saying either, wish it were true but sadly its a crook of poo.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Not everyone lives in a perfect world.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

MrsY will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by OiOi
If they are beyond visiting age it might pay you to have them setup with the resources and know how on how to do a web cam conference with you while in the USA.
We do web cams every weekend now with our kids and their grandparents, so at least they get to interact with them a little bit via the computer.
It would be impossible to teach them how to use a webcam!! It will be hard for them but we can't live their lives for them.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsY
It would be impossible to teach them how to use a webcam!! It will be hard for them but we can't live their lives for them.
My parents visit every couple of years and I go home w/ kids on the inbetween years. It is hard but it is what it is, I have the only grand kids so.... but everyone gets used to it whether they like or not though, that's a whole other story.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 2:10 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

No, you misunderstand SM. I was only talking about Jon (the OP) and his mother. I wasn't talking about all the bad cruel people in the world. He isn't particularly fond of his mum, and I thought it would be sad to lose contact with her, and she miss out on the grandchildren. Not talking about anyone else other than the OP. Sorry you misunderstood, perhaps I wasn't clear enough.