Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

how common *is* co-sponsoring?

how common *is* co-sponsoring?

Old Apr 18th 2001, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

misskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant future

hi all,

there's been a few posts recently about co-sponsoring for affadavits of support, and in my english newbie naivete, i'm wondering if it's as common a practice as it seems to me it is. is there any knowledge on the list of how common co-sponsoring is? and are most people co-sponsoring to be safe rather than sorry, or because they don't meet the 125% of the poverty guidelines?

the guidelines just seem to be such a very low amount of income. i'm assuming those jobs must be out there...but what kind of jobs pay $8,500 a year?! or will i find out when i begin my taco bell career?

kate
Old Apr 18th 2001, 11:19 pm
Jeremy

Well it all depends. In my situation, (my fiancee has two dependant kids) we needed
to take the guideline for a family of four which is approximately $22,000. That works
out to about $12 an hour. That might not seem like much, but in a smaller town that's
a pretty high wage. What surprises me somewhat, is that they don't take into account
where you live. For example, $22,000 will go a lot further in Kansas than it would
living in New York city but the guidelines don't differentiate between that.

Back to your question though, I'm not certain how common it is. We used it for my
interview yesterday and it didn't seem to be a problem. They seem to have a lot of
leeway to excercise personal judgement when it comes to approving Visa's when the USC
fiancee doesn't quite meet the guidelines. They take into account your potential
employability, i.e. any skills, experience, education etc.

I dont' think it can hurt to set up a co sponsor in the even that you guys are
cutting it close.

misskate wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 18th 2001, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

smldnabjp is an unknown quantity at this point

some people may not be working full time or are a student or were a student and thats why they need a co sponser, I'm in the situation of both being a student and only working part time so I need a co sponser, I think other people could also have dependents that push the 125% poverty level above what they make for the family size. To me it seems pretty common, but I don't know of any exact figures or a list with those figures. hoping this will help or shed some light?
Old Apr 19th 2001, 2:20 am
Rete

In some areas of the country it isn't just taco bell servers but office workers who
earn that pittance.

Rita

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>

Old Apr 19th 2001, 3:02 am
S&R

I would be curious to know about this too, as we are getting mixed messages from all
corners. You do need all three years above 125% poverty guidelines, you don't, you
do, you don't.

My husband called NVC today to ask them directly and they said that if your last
year's income is above - that is the most important - and if any other year is under,
then add a note stating the reason why. After hearing this from them directly, my gut
says "call back and ask someone else there and see what they say", and again and
again. Just to see if they are consistant. It would be heartwrenching to not get
approval because we believed that one year was not the be all end all and not getting
a co-sponsor 'just in case'......

The other suggestion is to use my husband's cashable bonds and stocks to show
additional monies available that would cover the amount that is less than the year's
poverty guideline.

So, to answer your question, I believe that it is very common for people to use
co-sponsors for vast amount of different reasons. I also believe that one of the
reasons to do so would be to cover one's arse on every single crevace and 'crack'.

Suzanne

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 23:01:29 GMT, misskate <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 19th 2001, 3:55 am
MoonLove63

Hi there!

My first time posting here, but my fiance Jonathan has posted a couple messages
lately. ^_^

Anyway, I'm one of those people who is going to use a co-sponsor. I'm 21 & live w/ my
parents, and I had no need for higher income when I acquired my current job. I was
just working to save up money so I could get back to the University. I never expected
the love of my life was going to pop up, let alone be from Canada and need a sponsor!
So right now, even after my recent raise, I'm getting crappy pay and am very
borderline with the 125% over poverty level.

Everyone's situation is different. ^_^

Best wishes to everyone!

Lynda

Old Apr 19th 2001, 11:57 am
Alvena Ferreira

S&R wrote:
    >
    >
    >

I think he was advised correctly. alvena