Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How close can you really cut it?

How close can you really cut it?

Old Aug 1st 2002, 3:34 am
Just Joined

David&Shelley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How close can you really cut it?

Hello all!

I am curious as to how close people have cut it to the AOS and still made it work(as in get throught the AOS just in case)

Let me give a little bit of back ground...

My wife is over from the UK and we were married on nov 15. I have worked steadily up to July 6 when I finally had enough of my psycho boss and told him what I thought....(I knew what would happen but I just couldnt stand it anymore.)

welp this saturday will make it 4 weeks out of work. I have had over 12 interviews but no job yet. Tommorrow I have an interview with a local company and I a pretty sure this will be the one that offers me a job and will meet the INS requirements.

The big kicker is that the AOS interview is on Aug 29.

Up to this point I have not worried about needing a sponsor(truthfully I dont know any one who could), and my lawyer has said that as long as I am working and can meet the guidelines that I have nothing to worry about.

Should I be concerned about a sponsor or anything else?

Any thoughts on this?

Btw, just so everyone knows my wife posts on here as K..LOL secret is out now...
Old Aug 1st 2002, 8:20 am
Mrtravel

Default Re: How close can you really cut it?

Well, if you don't have 5 times 125 percent of the poverty level in assets and don't
have a job by Aug 29, then you need a cosponsor, unless your wife is making enough

If your wife is working, then her income can be counted since you have been together
for 6 months.

Old Aug 1st 2002, 5:20 pm
Texandie

Speaking only from MY experience, we had the EXACT same problem...well, sort of...I
lost my job back in March and have been on unemployment...my husband had not worked
long enough for us to use HIS income...and our interview was July 9th. I went ahead
in advance and got my parents to co-sponsor him, but we didn't end up needing it. I
handed over a statement that I was on unemployment and the INS Officer never even
asked for additional resources. I don't know if we just got "lucky" or if
unemployment is acceptable, but it all worked out OK.

Good Luck! Andria

On Thu, 01 Aug 2002 07:32:28 GMT, mrtravel <[email protected]> wrote:

>Well, if you don't have 5 times 125 percent of the poverty level in assets and don't
    >have a job by Aug 29, then you need a cosponsor, unless your wife is making enough
    >
    >If your wife is working, then her income can be counted since you have been together
    >for 6 months.

Old Aug 2nd 2002, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

unnamed is an unknown quantity at this point

i was going to have my sister co-sponser and when i went to my local ins center. the information lady told me that as long as i had a job it would be enough. i hope that helps out...