Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to choose a realtor for buying a house

How to choose a realtor for buying a house

Old Mar 16th 2017, 6:36 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to choose a realtor for buying a house

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
Small world! Next time you are this way let me know if you are free to meet up for a drink/cuppa. How old are your daughters? I have 16 and 13 year old daughter and a 10 year old son. They keep me busy and out of trouble...if I don't count the complaint that I have with the school board right now, but that is a long story.

For some reason here renting seems a lot cheaper than buying, unless of course you have a huge deposit. We are looking to buy a similar house to the one we rent, yet the mortgage will be about 1.5 times our rent . Rental properties are not easy to come by either.
I'll do that I was planning on being in RC on April 1, but now we're full on house move I'm not going to go to that one after all.

I just have 1 daughter, she turns 15 next week

You have to factor in the tax breaks for buying as well. Tax wise we'll be around $20k a year better off, which covers the sting. Plus you're re-investing your money rather than giving it away. These are all things I'm telling myself anyway
Old Mar 16th 2017, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by N1cky
I'll do that I was planning on being in RC on April 1, but now we're full on house move I'm not going to go to that one after all.

I just have 1 daughter, she turns 15 next week

You have to factor in the tax breaks for buying as well. Tax wise we'll be around $20k a year better off, which covers the sting. Plus you're re-investing your money rather than giving it away. These are all things I'm telling myself anyway
With the quick turnaround on buying a house I bet you will be snowed under for the next couple of months. Do you have long left on your lease? Ours is to the end of July, so we aren't in any hurry and ideally would like as little over lap as possible as we don't want to be paying rent and a mortgage at the same time I keep telling myself those things too and that house prices keep going up and we don't want to be priced out of the market etc. It's still scary though, the mortgage guy seems to think we can afford much more than I think we can afford
Old Mar 17th 2017, 10:30 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
With the quick turnaround on buying a house I bet you will be snowed under for the next couple of months. Do you have long left on your lease? Ours is to the end of July, so we aren't in any hurry and ideally would like as little over lap as possible as we don't want to be paying rent and a mortgage at the same time I keep telling myself those things too and that house prices keep going up and we don't want to be priced out of the market etc. It's still scary though, the mortgage guy seems to think we can afford much more than I think we can afford
Things really do move quickly here. Our estimated close date in April 5. Our lease is up on May 15, so not too much of an overlap. It gives us a couple of weeks to get out of here, and then chance to give it a good clean before the inspection (where they will pick on every little thing). Paying mortgage and rent would be a nightmare situation.

Our mortgage guy thought we could go a bit higher than we originally wanted to go, instead we blew it out of the water and are probably both in a place where we think things could be a little tight. Although in fairness, meeting the reserve requirements has been the hardest part for us.