Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to change driving license in San Jose , CA

How to change driving license in San Jose , CA

Old Apr 15th 2017, 7:07 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 111
S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to change driving license in San Jose , CA

Dear all ,
hope you all having a great Easter.

I have eaten far too many Kinder chocolate eggs , feeling awfully guilty ... I hope by moving my fingers on the key board will help me to consume all the extra calories ....lol....

Anyway , my questions are :

-does anyone know how long I can use my UK licence once I have landed there?

-if I bought a car straight away , is the insurance going to be much more expensive if it is not US licence ?

- what is the procedure to change it ? Can I we just transfer the licence ? Or do I need to take a new test for it ? If it is the case, I hope it don't involve a parallel parking because I m absolutely crap at it.

- I have 8 years no claim on my car insurance , is it going to be a bonus when I purchase the car insurance in US?
Or the foreign driving history will not be considered at all.

Many thanks for your help in advance !

Have a great Esster ! No more chocolate eggs for me !!
S.Susan is offline  
Old Apr 15th 2017, 9:13 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 111
S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to change driving license in San Jose , CA

Originally Posted by S.Susan View Post
Dear all ,
hope you all having a great Easter.

I have eaten far too many Kinder chocolate eggs , feeling awfully guilty ... I hope by moving my fingers on the key board will help me to consume all the extra calories ....lol....

Anyway , my questions are :

-does anyone know how long I can use my UK licence once I have landed there?

-if I bought a car straight away , is the insurance going to be much more expensive if it is not US licence ?

- what is the procedure to change it ? Can I we just transfer the licence ? Or do I need to take a new test for it ? If it is the case, I hope it don't involve a parallel parking because I m absolutely crap at it.

- I have 8 years no claim on my car insurance , is it going to be a bonus when I purchase the car insurance in US?
Or the foreign driving history will not be considered at all.

Many thanks for your help in advance !

Have a great Easter ! No more chocolate eggs for me !!
how can I edit the topic of my post ?
S.Susan is offline  
Old Apr 15th 2017, 12:59 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2016
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 189
Chesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: How to change driving license in San Jose , CA

I'm sure you'll get more knowledgeable replies than mine but here goes from my experience.

The limit to update to local licence seems to vary by state. As far as I can tell you need to visit a local DMV office to take a test. You can't convert licenses.

In Tennessee where we are, it's 30 days. (My husband hasn't done it and we're 9 weeks in). I downloaded the local manual (don't think there's a national Highway Code equivalent) before we left uk. Study your manual, theory test questions come from this. I could do my theory test without pre booking. But the wait for the practical test was several weeks which took me outside my 30 day window. I couldn't do anything about it so I didn't sweat it.

My practical test was different to others described on other threads as I *did* leave the parking lot but I didn't go on main roads, just neighbourhood roads with a 25mph limit. I didn't do any manoeuvres, see any traffic lights, see other cars, change lanes, cross any tricky intersections and I only reversed when I backed out of my parking spot at the start of the test. We chatted about kids and travel throughout. Surreal.

I encountered the uk licence when applying for insurance thing. I found Progressive accepted this OK but options may vary by state and time spent searching. Liberty mutual wouldn't entertain it for example. But my car bought from Carmax took so long to transfer that I amended my quote to a US licence in the end before I bought my policy. Didn't make much difference to premium probably because didn't take my no claims history. I'd love to find an insurer that does. My progressive policy is for six months so maybe I'll do better when renewing.

Edited afterthought:
My husband's employer only gave 2-weeks hirecar in the relocation package. May not be relevant but if negotiating a package, get longer to take you beyond this driving test stage. What we did manage to do was continue with the same hire car on the heavily discounted corporate rate, but free would've been better!
Good luck.

Last edited by Chesten; Apr 15th 2017 at 1:16 pm.
Chesten is offline  
Old Apr 15th 2017, 1:27 pm
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Boiler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 32,947
Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: How to change driving license in San Jose , CA

CA I thought was 10 days? DMV site will tell you.

Yes it will cost you more and US dies not have a NCB system as such, they will tell you you get discounts for everything.
Boiler is offline  
Old Apr 15th 2017, 1:44 pm
  #5  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,093
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to change driving license in San Jose , CA

Originally Posted by S.Susan View Post
how can I edit the topic of my post ?
I can do it for you. What would you like it to say?

Rene
Moderator
Noorah101 is offline  
Old Apr 15th 2017, 2:24 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 111
S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to change driving license in San Jose , CA

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post
I can do it for you. What would you like it to say?

Rene
Moderator
Hi , on the title , I should have typed change driving license but it is hand driving license .

Thanks
S.Susan is offline  
Old Apr 15th 2017, 2:37 pm
  #7  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,093
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to change driving license in San Jose , CA

Originally Posted by S.Susan View Post
Hi , on the title , I should have typed change driving license but it is hand driving license .

Thanks
Done!

Rene
Noorah101 is offline  
Old Apr 15th 2017, 3:17 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 111
S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to change driving license in San Jose , CA

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post
Done!

Rene
thanks ! I will make sure I drink my morning tea before I type anything next time....thanks !
S.Susan is offline  
Old Apr 15th 2017, 9:35 pm
  #9  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 7,204
SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to change driving license in San Jose , CA

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...dl_info#two500

- The above states that you need to get a Californian driving licence within 10 days of becoming resident. That is totally unrealistic but you should APPLY to get a new licence as soon as possible following arrival. If stopped by police if you cannot show that you have at least applied they can get pretty shirty.

- the insurance is going to be very high whether or not you have a Californian driving licence as you have no credit history.

- some insurance companies take a no claims record into account, others no.

- yes, you will need to take a written and driving test.
SanDiegogirl is offline  
Old Apr 16th 2017, 4:48 am
  #10  
Lt Col (Retd)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 47,697
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to change driving license in San Jose , CA

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl View Post
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...dl_info#two500

- The above states that you need to get a Californian driving licence within 10 days of becoming resident. That is totally unrealistic but you should APPLY to get a new licence as soon as possible following arrival. If stopped by police if you cannot show that you have at least applied they can get pretty shirty.

- the insurance is going to be very high whether or not you have a Californian driving licence as you have no credit history.

- some insurance companies take a no claims record into account, others no.

- yes, you will need to take a written and driving test.
Wot she said!

The clock starts ticking when you rent or buy a home, start a job, put a child in school or college, etc. So pretty much anything that says you have made California your home.

The twelve months some people cite is a federal concession for visitors and is overridden by the state laws when you take up residence.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Apr 16th 2017, 11:24 pm
  #11  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2016
Location: Cascade Mountains, WA
Posts: 1,089
Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to change driving license in San Jose , CA

Obviously things vary from state to state so your experience may be different... In Washington I couldn't buy a car until I had a WA license. I could be added to the insurance on The Husband's car with my U.K. license when I arrived but not buy my own car. Washington also seems to be (from what I've read here about other states) one of the only places where you have to do a driving test similar to the U.K. - no parking lot test for us! I was on a multi-lane highway in the snow, around roundabouts and so on.
Twinkle0927 is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2017, 6:02 am
  #12  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: California
Posts: 346
LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to change driving license in San Jose , CA

Originally Posted by S.Susan View Post
Dear all ,
hope you all having a great Easter.

I have eaten far too many Kinder chocolate eggs , feeling awfully guilty ... I hope by moving my fingers on the key board will help me to consume all the extra calories ....lol....

Anyway , my questions are :

-does anyone know how long I can use my UK licence once I have landed there?

I think officially it's ten days. We arrived a few years ago (live in Los Gatos) and it took several weeks to take the test.

-if I bought a car straight away , is the insurance going to be much more expensive if it is not US licence ?

With no US driver's history or credit, it'll be expensive. They also charge you for half the year so don't forget to double what they quote you to get the annual figure

- what is the procedure to change it ? Can I we just transfer the licence ? Or do I need to take a new test for it ? If it is the case, I hope it don't involve a parallel parking because I m absolutely crap at it.

You have to take a written test followed by an actual driving test. (download the California DMV driving test app as that's so useful when revising for the written test and pop into your local DMV for a copy of the Highway Code).

You'll need to show them some paperwork before they'll book you in for your test. Can't remember what that is though so double check.

You don't need to park or reverse round corners but you will need to learn your hand signals (for turning left/right/stop) and know where your hazard lights in your car are (those are the first things they test you on). You'll be fine. Just remember to fully stop at a Stop sign, turn right on a red unless otherwise indicated, look over your shoulder when changing lanes and stick to the speed limit.


- I have 8 years no claim on my car insurance , is it going to be a bonus when I purchase the car insurance in US?
Or the foreign driving history will not be considered at all.

They don't care unfortunately.

Good luck and welcome to the Bay Area!

Many thanks for your help in advance !

Have a great Esster ! No more chocolate eggs for me !!
.

Last edited by LeavingLondon; Apr 17th 2017 at 6:04 am. Reason: Messy formatting
LeavingLondon is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2017, 11:15 am
  #13  
Somewhere
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 35,242
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to change driving license in San Jose , CA

Note: Pop up post from new registration asking about how to edit posts has been moved to Site Feedback.
BEVS is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2017, 11:35 am
  #14  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 111
S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to change driving license in San Jose , CA

Originally Posted by Chesten View Post
I'm sure you'll get more knowledgeable replies than mine but here goes from my experience.

The limit to update to local licence seems to vary by state. As far as I can tell you need to visit a local DMV office to take a test. You can't convert licenses.

In Tennessee where we are, it's 30 days. (My husband hasn't done it and we're 9 weeks in). I downloaded the local manual (don't think there's a national Highway Code equivalent) before we left uk. Study your manual, theory test questions come from this. I could do my theory test without pre booking. But the wait for the practical test was several weeks which took me outside my 30 day window. I couldn't do anything about it so I didn't sweat it.

My practical test was different to others described on other threads as I *did* leave the parking lot but I didn't go on main roads, just neighbourhood roads with a 25mph limit. I didn't do any manoeuvres, see any traffic lights, see other cars, change lanes, cross any tricky intersections and I only reversed when I backed out of my parking spot at the start of the test. We chatted about kids and travel throughout. Surreal.

I encountered the uk licence when applying for insurance thing. I found Progressive accepted this OK but options may vary by state and time spent searching. Liberty mutual wouldn't entertain it for example. But my car bought from Carmax took so long to transfer that I amended my quote to a US licence in the end before I bought my policy. Didn't make much difference to premium probably because didn't take my no claims history. I'd love to find an insurer that does. My progressive policy is for six months so maybe I'll do better when renewing.

Edited afterthought:
My husband's employer only gave 2-weeks hirecar in the relocation package. May not be relevant but if negotiating a package, get longer to take you beyond this driving test stage. What we did manage to do was continue with the same hire car on the heavily discounted corporate rate, but free would've been better!
Good luck.
thanks a lot for your reply. the company provide 1 month car rental in the relocation package .I hope I can get the US licence asap, ideally within the first month . if not, we will definitely do what you suggested, continue renting the car with corporate discount !honestly I m still traumatised by my driving text in Sidcup , southeast London . after so may years, I still remember I was shaking so much and cant even pressing down the clutch ! that's why I was desperately hoping we don't have to take a test in US...lol !!
S.Susan is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2017, 11:39 am
  #15  
Lt Col (Retd)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 47,697
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to change driving license in San Jose , CA

Originally Posted by S.Susan View Post
.... I was desperately hoping we don't have to take a test in US...lol !!
I am not sure that what you will take in the US could be reasonably called a "test".
Pulaski is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.