Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to celebrate Green Cards

How to celebrate Green Cards

Old Oct 11th 2006, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

valscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to celebrate Green Cards

Got the notice Friday to say that we are approved and cards have been ordered etc. We didn't get ratted that night as we had a pre-approved sleep-over for our youngest. Saturday was a different story..
We went to Ellis Island on Sunday as a symbolic gesture as new permanent immigrants to this land. Truth be told we haven't had it that bad in comparison to previous generations. What did make me laugh was the following, taken from the tour guide " Rumors about life in America, combined with stories about rejections and deportations at Ellis Island, circulated endlessly. There were rehearsals for answering the immigration inspectors' questions.." I think the modern day equivalent is internet forums.
Any way if you have got your green cards how did you celebrate? If you haven't, how will you? Our American buddies are so happy so we've not done celebrating, about to organise a good old house party british style!
Old Oct 11th 2006, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to celebrate Green Cards

Originally Posted by valscot
Got the notice Friday to say that we are approved and cards have been ordered etc. We didn't get ratted that night as we had a pre-approved sleep-over for our youngest. Saturday was a different story..
We went to Ellis Island on Sunday as a symbolic gesture as new permanent immigrants to this land. Truth be told we haven't had it that bad in comparison to previous generations. What did make me laugh was the following, taken from the tour guide " Rumors about life in America, combined with stories about rejections and deportations at Ellis Island, circulated endlessly. There were rehearsals for answering the immigration inspectors' questions.." I think the modern day equivalent is internet forums.
Any way if you have got your green cards how did you celebrate? If you haven't, how will you? Our American buddies are so happy so we've not done celebrating, about to organise a good old house party british style!
Congratulations. Good stuff.
I lived in NYC for 17 + years, so took the guests to Ellis many times. Lost count after 7.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 4:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
I lived in NYC for 17 + years, so took the guests to Ellis many times. Lost count after 7.
Reg. Frank R.
Hey hands off Frank....it belongs to Joizey.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hey hands off Frank....it belongs to Joizey.
Hi Jersey. What you can't sleep, either.
Yea, odd that Ellis & NJ thing. Like the Mayor said, "Have you ever heard a tourist say i'm going to Jersey/ Ellis Island?"
Reg. Frank R.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 4:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jersey. What you can't sleep, either.
Yea, odd that Ellis & NJ thing. Like the Mayor said, "Have you ever heard a tourist say i'm going to Jersey/ Ellis Island?"
Reg. Frank R.

Hiya Frank. Always thought it was a bit of a cheek when NY had a pic. of the statue on the licence plates...hope they had to pay NJ royalties or whatever the equivalent is.

I'm off to bed now. Night Frank.

PS Its been 80F today but tomorrow its down to the 50's.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

valscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond repute

Reg. Frank R.

Know what you mean. If I have to do another horse and buggy ride round Philly, I think I'll scream.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Know what you mean. If I have to do another horse and buggy ride round Philly, I think I'll scream.
I reached the point, where I would go to the Island & sit on a bench. "Enjoy the tour I will wait for you here". That did not go down well.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hiya Frank. Always thought it was a bit of a cheek when NY had a pic. of the statue on the licence plates...hope they had to pay NJ royalties or whatever the equivalent is.

I'm off to bed now. Night Frank.

PS Its been 80F today but tomorrow its down to the 50's.
Good point, bet NJ is still waiting for the dosh. Temp here in the mid 80's. I went to the beach on Sat/Sun/Mon, pool today & back to the beach manana.
night night.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 12:18 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Oddly, we just never really got around to celebrating. The whole process had been so stressful up to that point! Our GC approval was so completely unexpected, coming as it did over a year earlier than our Lawyer had told us to expect, that we were still in stressed-out mode when the approval emails arrived. We said we'd celebrate when the cards themselves arrived... but that was only a couple of days later, again far earlier than expected, and we were pretty much still in shock!
Old Oct 11th 2006, 1:15 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I celebrated mine by putting it in my wallet and that's about it.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: How to celebrate Green Cards

When I get mine I will let you know, I probably will be in hospital suffering from shock and on the heart monitor.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 1:47 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

congrats to you guys

celebrate nahh didn't do that, it had to be done to make life easier or so i thought lol
Old Oct 11th 2006, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Manc
I celebrated mine by putting it in my wallet and that's about it.
That was about the extent of our celebration too. Although obviously not your wallet.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 2:34 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
That was about the extent of our celebration too. Although obviously not your wallet.
Thats three of us then.

One thing that always gets me is the number of government departments who ask for a photocopy of the back of it
Old Oct 11th 2006, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

carolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: How to celebrate Green Cards

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
When I get mine I will let you know, I probably will be in hospital suffering from shock and on the heart monitor.
I think some Champagne and a nice meal at a good restaurant would be in order, maybe take a trip to the Bahamas or the Virgin Islands.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.