British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   How Can I Track Down An Old Friend? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/how-can-i-track-down-old-friend-283448/)

rincewind Feb 10th 2005 9:06 pm

How Can I Track Down An Old Friend?

When I was growing up in England, I made friends with a US boy my age whose father was based at RAF Alconbury in Cambridgeshire.

My last memory of him was when they moved away (either back to the States or elsewhere in England) and we ate massive home made burgers on a packing trunk.

I only know his first name and his father's first name and I've tried everywhere. I've even tried the RAF Alconbury School that was on the base (via Friends Reunited) but only 16 pupils are listed.

Does anyone know of where to start? Sites, etc. where I can possibly try and find him.

Anyone else tried to track and old friend down and have any success?

TRPardoe Feb 10th 2005 9:10 pm

Re: How Can I Track Down An Old Friend?

Originally Posted by rincewind
When I was growing up in England, I made friends with a US boy my age whose father was based at RAF Alconbury in Cambridgeshire.

My last memory of him was when they moved away (either back to the States or elsewhere in England) and we ate massive home made burgers on a packing trunk.

I only know his first name and his father's first name and I've tried everywhere. I've even tried the RAF Alconbury School that was on the base (via Friends Reunited) but only 16 pupils are listed.

Does anyone know of where to start? Sites, etc. where I can possibly try and find him.

Try writing a Letter to the Editor to Airforce Magazine. It's the USAF in house mag, read by a huge number of veterans.

If you cannot find the address then email me. My MIL gets it.

robskatie Feb 10th 2005 9:19 pm

You could also try the AirForce Times, they have a section for this kind of thing, don't have a copy handy, but give me a couple of days and I will be able to give you some more info. I just posted in the lounge regarding Friends Reunited, heard from someone I haven't seen in years, it was a really nice surprise! Keep looking!!!

DebraJulia Feb 10th 2005 9:20 pm

You could try http://www.infospace.com/ don't know whether you have to pay though, some services ask you for a fee. www.192.com is also pretty useful but they charge you for their service, you know if you want to look at the electoral roll etc. Have a look through the search engines, google, yahoo etc u might find something there.

Best of luck!!!!

sibsie Feb 10th 2005 9:23 pm

If any of the people listed on Friends Reunited are similar in age, you could always contact them to see if they know where he ended up. I got hold of my bessie chum from school that way.

Pulaski Feb 11th 2005 1:16 am

Originally Posted by sibsie
If any of the people listed on Friends Reunited are similar in age, you could always contact them to see if they know where he ended up. ......

Or if they remember what his surname is.

bored-silly Feb 11th 2005 3:20 am

Don't the Salvation Army do stuff like this too?
Good luck!

Bob Feb 11th 2005 3:29 am

google...
and in friends reunited, if you join, you can post messages on the school boards...

BrandonBrit Feb 11th 2005 4:28 am

Try www.classmates.com that's the American version of Friends Reunited and a lot of people who were in the military stationed overseas use it to find people. Good luck with all your efforts, it's always nice to get back in touch with those from your past :)

rincewind Feb 11th 2005 4:59 am

Originally Posted by BrandonBrit
Try www.classmates.com that's the American version of Friends Reunited and a lot of people who were in the military stationed overseas use it to find people. Good luck with all your efforts, it's always nice to get back in touch with those from your past :)

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've tried Classmates and found the school on the list but his name is not there. I guess I could try and e-mail some of the other pupils and ask if they remember him or at best, get his last name which would help me out.

Dan725 Feb 11th 2005 2:54 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've tried Classmates and found the school on the list but his name is not there. I guess I could try and e-mail some of the other pupils and ask if they remember him or at best, get his last name which would help me out.

Yep, you're totally on the right track there - once you've got the last name it'll become a lot easier. If you could narrow it down to a state as well where they might have moved that will help also, even better a county - there is a mass of information that can be gotten from public access courthouse records. If you knew where the guy got married for instance, that might be a good place to start as well - last name would make it much better.

www.anywho.com is a very good free site for phone lookups. Good luck!

Tone Feb 11th 2005 3:00 pm

Get yourself a bloodhound ?

Bob Feb 11th 2005 4:47 pm

Some other sites:

http://preview.ussearch.com/preview/preview.jsp

http://www.peopledata.com/

http://www.anywho.com

Think someone might have mentioned that last one already...

rincewind Feb 11th 2005 8:59 pm

I think I may have a lead. My sister remembered his surname and I found an address in Louisiana. I have a telephone number too but haven't the balls to call.

Think I'll just send a letter and make sure it's the right person first :D

TRPardoe Feb 11th 2005 9:24 pm

I think I may have a lead. My sister remembered his surname and I found an address in Louisiana. I have a telephone number too but haven't the balls to call.

Think I'll just send a letter and make sure it's the right person first :D

Pick up the phone why don't you? You are more likely to get a reply ;-)