Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How can i rent in Boston

How can i rent in Boston

Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute
Default How can i rent in Boston

Hi All

I have just secured my visa and now flights booked to go out to Boston on Monday 17thJan.

Alas it has now dawned on me that i dont have a house lol. The good thing is i have friends and colleagues out there so can sofa surf for a while, but still was wondering as to renting my own property.

I understand that I will have a new credit history to start building up from scratch, so may have to offer more in the form of a deposit.

Are there agenices that deal with people in my position? How do i even start to look? I have tried to search the forum to see if any one has asked this question before, but i can not see it amongs the million search results

Any tips or hints would be perfect.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can i rent in Boston

www.craigslist.org is the solution!
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DavidLemon

Are there agenices that deal with people in my position? How do i even start to look? I have tried to search the forum to see if any one has asked this question before, but i can not see it amongs the million search results

Any tips or hints would be perfect.
Search for Boston...there are quite a few threads, some pretty recent.

Apart from craigslist, once you land, go to any mall and you'll find renters magazines with listings.

Also colleges, libraries etc will have places...

If you use a realtor, down town, you're likely looking at up to 3 months worth of rent as a fee, plus first/last and anything up to 3 months worth as a deposit. The realtor fee tends to drop the further out you go.

No credit history means you'll probably be asked to put down a much higher deposit in cash...go to private renters rather than condo complexes and you'll have more luck....at least by law they are supposed to put that deposit in a high interest savings account which gets turned over to you when you leave, if you both agree you left it in a good state...it won't be earning any interest these days though.

Are you living/working down town, or in the general area? If you're young and single, you'll probably be looking for something completely different to someone with a family.

How important will having a car be? How important is living down town to you?

If work doesn't have parking and you've got to use a multi story, that could be anything from $200-400 a month if you pay upfront...even the cheapest of parking starts at $10 a day but is usually $25-45 a day.

Then again, if you're near a T...etc.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

ob1kanob is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out the youth hostels.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

hd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nice

If you can get someone to be guarantor for you, that may work. The credit check will be carried out on them.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

photocopy of bank statement showing a reasonable balance, larger deposit, proof of employment.