Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

how can i move to usa?

how can i move to usa?

Old Oct 13th 2009, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

waz1231 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: how can i move to usa?

cool. i have a 2:1 in my business degree and and i have completed my UEFA B licence
Old Oct 13th 2009, 1:40 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
In girls-soccer-mad North Texas
Eh?

I thought it was all HS football (US) down there?

Another preconceived notion about Texas gone...
Old Oct 13th 2009, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

The business degree is pretty much a no go since half the country has one and another half seem to have an MBA. UEFA B is a good start but there is a different licensing system here (www.ussoccer.com). If you can get backing of one of the academies here (like Brad Friedel's Premier Soccer Academy) or even an MLS or USL team you may be able to get something. Just be aware that you may only get a visa that lasts few months and your girlfriend will have to find her own way. It's possible but don't expect it to last long or to make much money doing it.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Jobs = easy. Visa = hard. No visa... no job... no move.
Actually, for most people. right now I think it is:

Jobs = hard (unless you are exceptionally well qualified).
Visa = hard.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waz1231
cool. i have a 2:1 in my business degree and and i have completed my UEFA B licence
With all due respect, I would say your degree is pretty much worthless in terms of getting you out here. You need to get to work in the UK and either get to work on climbing the corporate ladder towards an L1 transfer or developing your professional skillset so you can qualify for H1. Technical skills are what they really want.

Your soccer coaching path is the better option. It is a well-worn path. There are quite a few British soccer coaches out here.

I think starting with summer camps is the way forward, to get your networking started. Then hopefully you can make an impression and find someone to bring you out on a more permanent basis.

I have a mate who is doing it here full time, but note that he also has a PhD in sports sciences. So you may need to think about getting some additional academic qualifications to get up to that standard.

They play soccer in Canada and Australia too.

Also, note that if you did come out, you'll have to marry your gf for her to come out, and she won't be able to work. Coaching salaries are low, so the two of you will likely be extremely poor. Also, if your salaries are indeed low, you will need to make sure your camp or team provide health benefits, which adds a further restriction.

Last edited by caleyjag; Oct 13th 2009 at 4:58 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

My fiance Rob is a soccer coach here in Charlotte, it took about three years of networking to secure the position he has now. He is UEFA A and NSCAA qualified and came here after coaching the Cayman National Soccer team. He is only now being approached by MLS after a string of successes at State Cup. It really is who you know and what you've done.

The recession is also affecting subscriptions/player numbers to private soccer organisations so clubs are consolidating and letting go of staff so now would be a tough time to convince a club of the merits of hiring an alien. In addition, colleges are now churning out prospective young coaches as those who attended college on soccer scholarships, who cant find employment in a business field, are turning to soccer as a back up career and they already have the contacts and history and dont need a visa.

Good advice re the summer camps - Rob did those for two summers whilst at college and is now stuying for a Msc in sports pyschology.

It's a long road - I know I've been on it for 4 years. Good luck.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waz1231
Basically what your being told is.....come back on holiday. Thats about it.

You dont have a job lined up for you here, your qualifications are meaningless, and your not married to an American.

If your REALLY serious and not just want to come here because you visted on holiday and decided you liked the hot weather in Disney Land Florida, then I'd suggest googling US summer camp agencies online for next summer. You could possibly get a visa to work in the summer camp for the summer period or 2010.

Your girlfriend would not be able to go with you.

You would not be able to stay here longer then your visa unless offered a permenant job - which is unlikely unless you gain more qualifications between now and next summer, again your girlfriend would not be able to stay with you unless you get married.

good luck.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Englishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud of

Quicker Plan.

You and girlfriend split.

You meet American Girl, convincer her to marry you, get visa that way. Go To America and start job.

Meantime Ex-Girlfriend meets American Boy, gets married, gets Visa, goes to America and starts job.

After 4-5 years each of you can apply for US Citizenship.

Either achieves US Citizenship, both divorce current spouses and get together again.

Sorted.

Last edited by Rete; Oct 14th 2009 at 4:38 pm. Reason: Not a recommendation scenario. It's Illegal and if a Joke, a poor one in this forum
Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Not strictly true. In girls-soccer-mad North Texas about 75% of the kid's soccer coaches I meet (and there are many hundreds of them) are foreign and came over on H3 or H1B visas, depending on their previous qualifications and experience.

Once here, a fair few find a local big-hair cheerleader type to marry... for love, of course, and not for a green card at all!
North Texas here I (and the OP) come!
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman in Eugene
Quicker Plan.

You and girlfriend split.

You meet American Girl, convincer her to marry you, get visa that way. Go To America and start job.

Meantime Ex-Girlfriend meets American Boy, gets married, gets Visa, goes to America and starts job.

After 4-5 years each of you can apply for US Citizenship.

Either achieves US Citizenship, both divorce current spouses and get together again.

Sorted.
Totally illegal and not recommended.

Rene
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:00 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Totally illegal and not recommended.

Rene
I'm pretty sure that was a joke.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:12 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
I'm pretty sure that was a joke.
You would be amazed who might NOT think it was a joke. And, people do just what was outlined.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
You would be amazed who might NOT think it was a joke. And, people do just what was outlined.
I can believe it
Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman in Eugene
Quicker Plan.
You mean "quicker illegal plan".

Aiding and abetting a criminal act isn't too smart... and the US laws on conspiracy would make bamboo shoots under your fingernails seem like a pleasant manicure.

No charge!

Ian
Old Oct 17th 2009, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

BrittanyLeigh is an unknown quantity at this point

Ugh, we can switch spots!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.