Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

how can i move my dog???

how can i move my dog???

Old Mar 28th 2008, 3:06 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default how can i move my dog???

from england to here???

My mum is having a paddy that he keeps trying to kill the cat and wants to get rid of him...................

so i want to get him here - how do I go about it?? How much will it cost?? I dont even know where to start looking.

Has anyone done this??
Old Mar 28th 2008, 3:12 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how can i move my dog???

Originally Posted by mellybrown
from england to here???

My mum is having a paddy that he keeps trying to kill the cat and wants to get rid of him...................

so i want to get him here - how do I go about it?? How much will it cost?? I dont even know where to start looking.

Has anyone done this??
Start with an advanced search for "pet" on this specific forum. You'll find that a lot of people have shipped dogs.

From my own experience, steps are:

Calling the airline to discuss shipping the dog (prices, regulations, etc.)
Buying an appropriate crate.
Getting rabies shots.
Getting a fitness to fly cert from the vet.

Alternatively, you could use a professional pet-shipping company. Expensive, but worth the peace of mind.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

viks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
Start with an advanced search for "pet" on this specific forum. You'll find that a lot of people have shipped dogs.

From my own experience, steps are:

Calling the airline to discuss shipping the dog (prices, regulations, etc.)
Buying an appropriate crate.
Getting rabies shots.
Getting a fitness to fly cert from the vet.

Alternatively, you could use a professional pet-shipping company. Expensive, but worth the peace of mind.
Hi,

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quar...pets/index.htm

You will need a pet passport. Good Luck.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 4:24 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
Old Mar 28th 2008, 4:57 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i also read on here somewhere - it was actually cheaper to take the dog as excess baggage than ship on its own. So 'might' be cheaper to fly home and bring doggie back with you. Would need to research this much more though but may be worth a shot.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

from england to here???

Has anyone done this??
I say dress him up in a pink frilly dress and a bonnet and tell them he's a baby...
Old Mar 28th 2008, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Much cheaper to fly him excess baggage.

I just flew my cat out a few weeks ago - if you search on my posting history I got some great information here when I asked a similar question
Old Mar 28th 2008, 6:46 pm
Resident Sillycow

my mum is supposed to come visit at some point - maybe she can keep him till then and bring him.................i will have words...
Old Mar 28th 2008, 6:53 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Off topic ...

Clouseau: Does your dog bite?
Hotel Clerk: No.
Clouseau: [bowing down to pet the dog] Nice doggie.
[Dog barks and bites Clouseau in the hand]
Clouseau: I thought you said your dog did not bite!
Hotel Clerk: That is not my dog.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

matt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nice

hi..

i'm moving my dog when i come over in may.. the pet passport isn't needed if the animal isn't coming back to uk as i understand it.

if you're going it 'alone' (without using a company) the vaccine records are important.. strangely, it was like going through my paperwork again for the medical! ..although i'm sure the dog won't mind getting it's 'bits' looked at.. no chest x-ray to carry around tho

seriously.. i'm finding the whole process a lot in one go.. logistically we'll be travelling on the same day and an authorised vet needs to check her for good health etc.. (not sure if a regular vet could do this?) so i'm kenneling her just for the night before and they take care of the rest.. checking her in,vet etc.. anyhoo.. it ain't cheap but she is a german shepherd (no, we wouldn't have got her a year ago if we knew this move was happening!) so i can't tell you how much it'll be for yours.. it goes on height and length of the animal so if it's a small dog: great!

you may find it easier to do it yourself.. i'm sure it does save a bit of money.. i'm using these guys: http://www.airpets.co.uk/ and here's the checklist they sent me:

freight
air kennel
destination charge on arrival (still don't know how much this'll be!)
airline handling
delivery to heathrow
veterinary health certificate
vaccinations (dog leptospirosis,distemper,hepatitis,parvovirus) - these should be covered by the 'yearly boosters' if you get them done for your dog.. mine is nearly a year old so she's good.

they'll take care of that for a quoted price of £1700 but i know i'll be looking at 2 grand minimum.. and yep, me and the mrs could really have done with that money

she's our baby and our responsibility so.. we'll suck it up!

hope this helps.. i'm new to all this too so i may have missed something,

matt

Last edited by matt72; Mar 28th 2008 at 8:32 pm. Reason: bad spelling errors!
Old Mar 28th 2008, 8:41 pm
Resident Sillycow

Originally Posted by matt72
hi..

i'm moving my dog when i come over in may.. the pet passport isn't needed if the animal isn't coming back to uk as i understand it.

if you're going it 'alone' (without using a company) the vaccine records are important.. strangely, it was like going through my paperwork again for the medical! ..although i'm sure the dog won't mind getting it's 'bits' looked at.. no chest x-ray to carry around tho

seriously.. i'm finding the whole process a lot in one go.. logistically we'll be travelling on the same day and an authorised vet needs to check her for good health etc.. (not sure if a regular vet could do this?) so i'm kenneling her just for the night before and they take care of the rest.. checking her in,vet etc.. anyhoo.. it ain't cheap but she is a german shepherd (no, we wouldn't have got her a year ago if we knew this move was happening!) so i can't tell you how much it'll be for yours.. it goes on height and length of the animal so if it's a small dog: great!

you may find it easier to do it yourself.. i'm sure it does save a bit of money.. i'm using these guys: http://www.airpets.co.uk/ and here's the checklist they sent me:

freight
air kennel
destination charge on arrival (still don't know how much this'll be!)
airline handling
delivery to heathrow
veterinary health certificate
vaccinations (dog leptospirosis,distemper,hepatitis,parvovirus) - these should be covered by the 'yearly boosters' if you get them done for your dog.. mine is nearly a year old so she's good.

they'll take care of that for a quoted price of £1700 but i know i'll be looking at 2 grand minimum.. and yep, me and the mrs could really have done with that money

she's our baby and our responsibility so.. we'll suck it up!

hope this helps.. i'm new to all this too so i may have missed something,

matt
wow 2k is a lot!!! Mine is just a Jack russell so hes little, but hes my baby and I am SO pissed off that she wants to get rid of him!! I have sent off for 2 quotes from a couple of companys people have mentioned - I think airpets was one. Theres no way I can afford that much tho
Old Mar 28th 2008, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

matt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nicematt72 is just really nice

jack russell... perfect! it'll probably be the cheapest for a dog

honestly.. we have quite a big girl already so we're at the top end of the scale, you should be way cheaper.. good luck
Old Mar 28th 2008, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

from england to here???

Has anyone done this??
hundreds have done it...check out http://www.ladyhaye.co.uk/ we used them with no probs, also use the search button on BE, lots of info about shipping animals on here.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:53 am

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point

wow 2k is a lot!!! Mine is just a Jack russell so hes little, but hes my baby and I am SO pissed off that she wants to get rid of him!! I have sent off for 2 quotes from a couple of companys people have mentioned - I think airpets was one. Theres no way I can afford that much tho
Mel, if your baby is a Jack Russell, couldn't your mum just put him in her handbag when she comes over!

Seriously tho, it is much MUCH cheaper to "do it yourself" rather than getting a company to ship him over. We did it 2 years ago with our Cavalier and flew American Airlines. he travelled on the same flight as us, in Cargo and I can't remember exactly how much it was (I've had a few botlles of Mike's Hard Lemonade) but £69 springs to mind.... so definately check it out
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:07 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JEM3110
Mel, if your baby is a Jack Russell, couldn't your mum just put him in her handbag when she comes over!

Seriously tho, it is much MUCH cheaper to "do it yourself" rather than getting a company to ship him over. We did it 2 years ago with our Cavalier and flew American Airlines. he travelled on the same flight as us, in Cargo and I can't remember exactly how much it was (I've had a few botlles of Mike's Hard Lemonade) but £69 springs to mind.... so definately check it out
approx £69 wow, that was cheap!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.