Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How are Brits generally seen in the US job market?

How are Brits generally seen in the US job market?

Old Jun 18th 2022, 11:02 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How are Brits generally seen in the US job market?

Originally Posted by username.exe
Biggest issue will be lack of degree. If you want to go IT, suggest you do the A+. NET+, SEC+ trifecta. Do you have a security clearance? That could be very helpful.

I was also surprised to learn my City doesn't require citizenship to apply for police academy. PR is sufficient, and they are always looking for recruits. Las Vegas could be a bit spicy, though. Best of luck.
I don’t know Las Vegas myself, never been there, but we have a dear friend who is pursuing her PhD in musical performance at the University there. She is a flautist. She like it there, says it is a diverse city with a very lively arts and performance scene.
Old Jun 19th 2022, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

scaly back is an unknown quantity at this point

Horses for courses. I'm, among other things, 'a' hiring manager for a multinational defense contractor. I no longer look at academic qualifications, they tend to be overblown and, how can I say, creative. I'm also ex-uk military, tip, keep your CV to 2 pages max and don't just add stuff you saw someone else do. Good luck :-)
Old Jun 19th 2022, 9:33 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scaly back
Horses for courses. I'm, among other things, 'a' hiring manager for a multinational defense contractor. I no longer look at academic qualifications, they tend to be overblown and, how can I say, creative. I'm also ex-uk military, tip, keep your CV to 2 pages max and don't just add stuff you saw someone else do. Good luck :-)
I agree with this. It should be pointed out that “CV” and “resume” have different meanings in UK (& European) use from that which is used in the US. In US usage the terms are NOT synonymous. That two page document is a “resume” and is a summary of experience and skills.
Old Jun 21st 2022, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I work in aviation. I have progressed far further in my career here than I ever would have in the UK. I’ve had 2 promotions in 4 years having just been given the role of running the operations and maintenance departments. That would never have happened back home. There are a load of good aviation jobs at the moment. We are typical in that with numbers going up we are looking to recruit and are fighting with other airports to get the staff. Keep your eyes out for entry level ops jobs, and feel free to pm me if you need any help of going down that route. You could also look at working the line at an FBO (something I did for a year). You’ll put in a shift especially at Vegas, and the pay won’t be all that, but you’ll earn damn good tip money there. Someone mentioned FAA jobs. You would have to become a citizen before being eligible. Now is a very good time to enter the aviation sector, and I’ve found UK experience over here is a huge advantage!
Old Jun 25th 2022, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
... You could also look at working the line at an FBO (something I did for a year). You’ll put in a shift especially at Vegas, and the pay won’t be all that, but you’ll earn damn good tip money there. ...
I just looked up FBO - fixed base operator? How does one get 'damn good tip money' working at an FBO? The wikipedia article I read said "A fixed-base operator (FBO) is an organization granted the right by an airport to operate at the airport and provide aeronautical services such as fueling, hangaring, tie-down and parking, aircraft rental, aircraft maintenance, flight instruction, and similar services". There's tips involved in that? Interesting!
Old Jun 25th 2022, 12:02 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I just looked up FBO - fixed base operator? How does one get 'damn good tip money' working at an FBO? The wikipedia article I read said "A fixed-base operator (FBO) is an organization granted the right by an airport to operate at the airport and provide aeronautical services such as fueling, hangaring, tie-down and parking, aircraft rental, aircraft maintenance, flight instruction, and similar services". There's tips involved in that? Interesting!
my guess would be:
Food Business Operators (FBOs)

Old Jun 25th 2022, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

My guess about tips at FBO’s is their clientele. I have been to hundreds of FBO’s and never tipped anyone. The Gulfstream multi multi millionaire crowd is probably a different story.
Old Jun 25th 2022, 4:58 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
my guess would be:
Food Business Operators (FBOs)
But I could see private jet owners tipping ground staff as well, like they do with crew on Super Yacht Charters.
Old Jun 25th 2022, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
...I have progressed far further in my career here than I ever would have in the UK. I’ve had 2 promotions in 4 years ...
Why do you think that is? I am of the same opinion - that my career here in the US progressed far more rapidly than it would have in the UK. I've always put it down to the fact that the US is more 'flexible' when it comes to employment; more willing to get rid of non-performers, but also more willing to reward high-performers. I was always willing to go the extra mile, and never complained; in return, I was given more and more responsibility and money. Had I been more committed to 'work-life balance', it might have been a different story but I was young, single and ambitious, and I absolutely loved the work I was doing so it was no real hardship.
Old Jun 25th 2022, 6:26 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you think that is?
I don't think US employers are all that flexible, but I go agree with everything else you mention.

As with most things in life, it's down to the individual to make themselves.
Old Jun 25th 2022, 7:04 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by baggy1971
The US government does NOT employ foreign nationals. Not green cards, .
You probably mean a specific level of US government. You probably also mean specific areas within that government. Your generalization without specifics, makes anything else written suspect.
Old Jun 26th 2022, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
So the important bit wikipedia missed out is it is where all the 1%ers fly in to in their Gulfstreams. Work at a busy FBO, and you’ll earn a good wage from the tips alone.
Old Sep 21st 2022, 6:19 pm
Banned

Street Boss is an unknown quantity at this point

All the Airlines are hiring. but none of the legacy carriers have hubs in Las Vegas- It would be a bad place to start if you want to move beyond lower management. Americans see a British accent as classy and intelligent, but not manly. It would be hard to get respect in labor intensive positions, i.e. construction or ramp work

Last edited by Street Boss; Sep 21st 2022 at 7:36 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2022, 1:47 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by baggy1971

You will be required to obtain a security clearance anywhere from nothing (for the most benign role) to Top Secret including the possibility of clearance to exceptional levels above Top Secret. You will be required to relinquish your British nationality - indeed, you will be required to pledge allegiance to the US constitution upon admission to the military. Security clearance are NOT the same as the background checks done for an immigration visa/green card/citizenship.
I had to go through this myself. Our research lab had taken on a Navy research project. They (Navy) had a heart attack when they realized 6 of us were LPR and could not get TS clearance.

We were fast tracked to citizenship, 3 months. Then onto security clearance process. They even went as far as shredding our UK, Indian, Norwegian passports.
One guy the Chinese guy had to leave the company, they would not let him obtain clearance.

Thankfully now I'm out of that lab, so no more clearance worries.

Old Sep 23rd 2022, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Expatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond repute

So the person from India would have renounced his/her Indian citizenship as India doesn’t allow dual citizenship. Did anyone else renounce their former citizenship, or was the foreign passport destruction sufficient?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.