Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How are Brits generally seen in the US job market?

How are Brits generally seen in the US job market?

Old Jun 17th 2022, 9:57 am
Just Joined

LV_Brit91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How are Brits generally seen in the US job market?

Hello all, first time poster but have been a lurker on / off over the years.
I understand that my post title is very much warrants an "it depends" kind of answer so I'll elaborate and give you some background.
I'm 31 and married to a USC; currently going through the IR1 Visa process with the I-130 submitted as of Sept 2021. If I remember correctly, it's been "under review" with the NVC as since Feb this year. As far as we're aware, there shouldn't be any show-stoppers to derail the application - no criminal records, no drug abuse, no particularly worrying medical issues, and hopefully plenty of relationship "proof".
My wife and I are currently long distance with her living and working back in her home city of Las Vegas while I finish my 12 years of service in the RAF (I'll be out in Feb 2023 which should mean that the being a current member of another nation's armed forces rule shouldn't apply). My wife and I have been married for over 4 years, and have been long distance for almost a full year since we made the choice to settle down in the US. She came back to the UK for a year with me, but for various reasons we decided that we'd prefer to be in the US longer-term. I was lucky enough to be based in Vegas for over 3 years, 2017-2020 so there's plenty of things I have learned about the US. But, I'm also aware that I had a rather sheltered time in the States due to being UK military working alongside the USAF - access to Tri-Care, decent Leave etc.

My wife earns a good salary and this was certainly a factor in us returning to the US as even London wouldn't match the equivalent of her wages (and she's adamant that she also had to work harder in the UK, which was strange to me as I usually hear the opposite is true). This does mean that, in the short term at least, I hopefully shouldn't need to take the first job that comes up. But, I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't at least partly anxious about having to find a job on civvy street (in either country) as my last "normal" job was working in a fish and chip takeaway. Financially, we've got some savings but no property in either nation; as much as we'd love to buy something in Vegas, it doesn't look likely in the immediate future. I've recently started to compile my CV / Resume and I've got a fair amount of experience as I've had a varied career, but not all that many qualifications that I'd expect a US employer to care about. I've got a variety of GCSEs, including in Maths and English, as well as A-Levels, which I know are roughly AP equivalents, but never had any interest to go to university so no "college" degree. As I'm also enlisted (OR-4 / E-4 equivalent) rather than an officer, I also recognise that I don't have the leadership and management profile that others may have.

In my favour though, I know from both first-hand, and other's experiences, that the US is generally a pro-veteran nation and, in my experience, also generally tend to like Brits. But, I haven't ever put this to a test in the US job market. I know that emphasising my work alongside the USAF is likely to be a wise move, as well as a few other roles that might stand-out to a potential employer. My spouse also believes that I shouldn't have an issue with an assistant role (paid roughly $40k per annum), especially as she has contacts in her community management / HOA industry (you all love your HOA, right? ) and that she could potentially hook-me-up with minimal resume and interview fuss. I'm certainly not opposed to that idea as I know that there's a clear path into management (like she's done) without needing a degree. However, I'm also interested, due to my background, in aviation and IT roles too; to that end, there's a Comp TIA A+ and a project management course than the military subsidise which I'll do prior to my arrival in the US.

So, to summarise, have you got any useful advice for me or are there any good bits of info that you wish you'd have known prior to working in the States?
Old Jun 17th 2022, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How are Brits generally seen in the US job market?

Originally Posted by LV_Brit91
Hello all, first time poster but have been a lurker on / off over the years.
I understand that my post title is very much warrants an "it depends" kind of answer so I'll elaborate and give you some background.
I'm 31 and married to a USC; currently going through the IR1 Visa process with the I-130 submitted as of Sept 2021. If I remember correctly, it's been "under review" with the NVC as since Feb this year. As far as we're aware, there shouldn't be any show-stoppers to derail the application - no criminal records, no drug abuse, no particularly worrying medical issues, and hopefully plenty of relationship "proof".
My wife and I are currently long distance with her living and working back in her home city of Las Vegas while I finish my 12 years of service in the RAF (I'll be out in Feb 2023 which should mean that the being a current member of another nation's armed forces rule shouldn't apply). My wife and I have been married for over 4 years, and have been long distance for almost a full year since we made the choice to settle down in the US. She came back to the UK for a year with me, but for various reasons we decided that we'd prefer to be in the US longer-term. I was lucky enough to be based in Vegas for over 3 years, 2017-2020 so there's plenty of things I have learned about the US. But, I'm also aware that I had a rather sheltered time in the States due to being UK military working alongside the USAF - access to Tri-Care, decent Leave etc.

My wife earns a good salary and this was certainly a factor in us returning to the US as even London wouldn't match the equivalent of her wages (and she's adamant that she also had to work harder in the UK, which was strange to me as I usually hear the opposite is true). This does mean that, in the short term at least, I hopefully shouldn't need to take the first job that comes up. But, I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't at least partly anxious about having to find a job on civvy street (in either country) as my last "normal" job was working in a fish and chip takeaway. Financially, we've got some savings but no property in either nation; as much as we'd love to buy something in Vegas, it doesn't look likely in the immediate future. I've recently started to compile my CV / Resume and I've got a fair amount of experience as I've had a varied career, but not all that many qualifications that I'd expect a US employer to care about. I've got a variety of GCSEs, including in Maths and English, as well as A-Levels, which I know are roughly AP equivalents, but never had any interest to go to university so no "college" degree. As I'm also enlisted (OR-4 / E-4 equivalent) rather than an officer, I also recognise that I don't have the leadership and management profile that others may have.

In my favour though, I know from both first-hand, and other's experiences, that the US is generally a pro-veteran nation and, in my experience, also generally tend to like Brits. But, I haven't ever put this to a test in the US job market. I know that emphasising my work alongside the USAF is likely to be a wise move, as well as a few other roles that might stand-out to a potential employer. My spouse also believes that I shouldn't have an issue with an assistant role (paid roughly $40k per annum), especially as she has contacts in her community management / HOA industry (you all love your HOA, right? ) and that she could potentially hook-me-up with minimal resume and interview fuss. I'm certainly not opposed to that idea as I know that there's a clear path into management (like she's done) without needing a degree. However, I'm also interested, due to my background, in aviation and IT roles too; to that end, there's a Comp TIA A+ and a project management course than the military subsidise which I'll do prior to my arrival in the US.

So, to summarise, have you got any useful advice for me or are there any good bits of info that you wish you'd have known prior to working in the States?
I am American with many years of military service in Air Force and Navy. Were you involved in aircraft maintenance? There is a big need for mechanics in all areas of aviation from airlines to small personal and corporate aircraft. The FAA also encourages qualified mechanics to become AI’s (inspection authority) which adds to security and income. I have been a amateur pilot for 52 years. It would require a year or two for training. Another big need here is truck drivers. Companies are in such need they pay for training, many owning their own schools, with a few months paid training you would be making 70-100k with excellent benefits and job security.
Old Jun 17th 2022, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I know the police / law enforcement generally take a lot of veterans, but that’s probably not a possibility until you naturalize.
Old Jun 17th 2022, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

LV_Brit91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ddsrph
I am American with many years of military service in Air Force and Navy. Were you involved in aircraft maintenance? There is a big need for mechanics in all areas of aviation from airlines to small personal and corporate aircraft. The FAA also encourages qualified mechanics to become AI’s (inspection authority) which adds to security and income. I have been a amateur pilot for 52 years. It would require a year or two for training. Another big need here is truck drivers. Companies are in such need they pay for training, many owning their own schools, with a few months paid training you would be making 70-100k with excellent benefits and job security.
Thanks for your replies!

My trade / background is the air operations side - supervising flights, ordering vehicles around airfields, data input, writing new guides for procedures etc, so no maintenance or engineering skills unfortunately. The HGV / truck driver is something that I'm considering, but ideally I'd prefer a local job where we're on similar schedules and living under the same roof. But, I have to admit that it's something that does appeal because no degree is needed, and as you say, it's a high demand industry.
Old Jun 17th 2022, 1:31 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I work in finance so totally different, and lots of Brits in NYC metro, but I think the bigger factor for you will be the lack degree than being British.

I did not know the UK had planes out there, I thought it was only the British reapers that were based there.

I assume you don’t want to enlist in the USAF? I guess that may take you away from Las Vegas again. I know they can also offer good education benefits.

Good luck!
Old Jun 17th 2022, 1:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... while I finish my 12 years of service in the RAF (I'll be out in Feb 2023 which should mean that the being a current member of another nation's armed forces rule shouldn't apply). ....
Being in the UK's armed forces should be a total non-issue. The US and UK militaries routinely exchange staff on secondment, and British citizens (not even dual citizens) can serve at least in the US National Guard, and I think in the other branches of the US military.
Old Jun 17th 2022, 2:00 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

I retired from the Royal Navy in 2000.
Wife persuaded me to move with her back to the States.
I have no degree, just an HND in engineering that I obtained whilst serving.
I found that opportunities presented themselves at every turn here in the US.
Be sure to compose a good resume, you may need to 'translate' it into American.
I found my formal education achievements amounted to very little with American HR departments, they were interested in my work experience more than anything.
Yes I found the locals more friendly regarding veterans, but do not expect any veterans preference when it comes to job placement. They keep this for the locals.
My advice, look into any large local University HR dept. There will be a multitude of jobs that you will be suitable for. Plus, these jobs come with benefits. Healthcare, pensions, reduced school fees.

I walked into my local campus HR dept 22 years ago with a CV in hand.
Spoke to a retired US Navy HR person. He offered me 3 jobs on the spot.
He said, "Just get your feet in the door and we will find you a real position more suited to your skills within 6 months"

He was correct, now I'm working in a world leading research facility as a Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Engineer. (That's the job title) I think they keep me around to amuse them.
I feel like the Howard Wolowitz of the department. All my coworkers have PhDs I have the 'Freedom of the Falkland Isle' lol.
Good luck with the move, I'm sure you will do fine.

Old Jun 17th 2022, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Isn’t Nellis AFB where pilots are trained similar to Navy “Top Gun” school? That would probably be considered a plum assignment. When I was in the AirForce I was enlisted also (electronics technician) and later got a officer commission in Navy after college. In general now is a good time to be looking for a job as hiring seems to in the job seekers favor.
Old Jun 17th 2022, 4:14 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Be prepared to take a job that you believe is beneath you in order to move up.

I started in the US as a janitor, then moved to Supervisor, then a lateral move to Financial Assistant, up though Financial, to Chief Financial Officer of a small healthcare facility.

I recently moved to a Deputy CFO position at a much larger facility (receiving a substantial pay-raise)

If you prove yourself, the opportunities will come!
Old Jun 17th 2022, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Be prepared to take a job that you believe is beneath you in order to move up.

I started in the US as a janitor, then moved to Supervisor, then a lateral move to Financial Assistant, up though Financial, to Chief Financial Officer of a small healthcare facility.

I recently moved to a Deputy CFO position at a much larger facility (receiving a substantial pay-raise)

If you prove yourself, the opportunities will come!
Janitor to CFO, fu$%ing superb! Would love to hear more, that is quite a story! Same company??

To the OP, put together a smart resume and i'm sure you will be snapped up. Red red red hot market right now

Last edited by PetrifiedExPat; Jun 17th 2022 at 6:50 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2022, 8:50 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies!

My trade / background is the air operations side - supervising flights, ordering vehicles around airfields, data input, writing new guides for procedures etc, so no maintenance or engineering skills unfortunately. The HGV / truck driver is something that I'm considering, but ideally I'd prefer a local job where we're on similar schedules and living under the same roof. But, I have to admit that it's something that does appeal because no degree is needed, and as you say, it's a high demand industry.
When I practiced immigration law, examination of labor market and job qualifications was often involved. The US Department of Lab has long published the Occupational Outlook Handbook which is now available on line.

Part of what I did would often involve figuring out job titles. You strike me as having qualifying as a “technical writer.” Although a degree is normal for entry, it is NOT for a technical degree. Also, many Brit’s have entered technical fields without academic preparation. A savvy HR person will know this.

Also, if you can translate your military classification into US Air Force Specialty Code, there might be quidance on where to look. (As a veteran of the U.S. Army I recently received a link to plug my Military Occupation Code, aka MOS, into available jobs. I checked out of idle curiosity and found my MOS no longer exists, but there were referrals for 11 Bravo infantry grunts. Go figure).
Old Jun 17th 2022, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

baggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond reputebaggy1971 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Being in the UK's armed forces should be a total non-issue. The US and UK militaries routinely exchange staff on secondment, and British citizens (not even dual citizens) can serve at least in the US National Guard, and I think in the other branches of the US military.
ok....let me tell you from experience based on a similar set of scenarios as the OP and now as a civilian under the USAF.

The US government does NOT employ foreign nationals. Not green cards, nor 'secondments', with the exception of NATO exchanges during which security clearances are within the boundary of NATO and you remain an employee of your native country. Nothing to do with employment by the US government.

You will be required to obtain a security clearance anywhere from nothing (for the most benign role) to Top Secret including the possibility of clearance to exceptional levels above Top Secret. You will be required to relinquish your British nationality - indeed, you will be required to pledge allegiance to the US constitution upon admission to the military. Security clearance are NOT the same as the background checks done for an immigration visa/green card/citizenship.

Your pay and clearance level will be determined by your role and your GS Grade (pay grade and responsibility level). You will routinely be required to identify all foreign nationals you have had contact with in the previous five years. All countries you have visited in the prior five years and the reasons for travel.

You will have restricted access to materials as defined by US law and as seen applicable under ITAR regulations as long as you hold any contact with a foreign country.

You can NOT just walk into a role in any branch of the military as if a guy off the street.
Old Jun 18th 2022, 9:11 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Security clearance are NOT the same as the background checks done for an immigration visa/green card/citizenship.
Un... duh. I used to hold an S and later a TS in UKG, and yes Developed Vetting is nothing like an immigration check.

Janitor to CFO, fu$%ing superb! Would love to hear more, that is quite a story! Same company??
Yes same company, across two different locations and ten years of working for them. It was with not a small amount of sadness that I left recently.

It of course helped that I had a background in international contract law (not an attorney, just very specialized) from my time as a Civil Servant. My 'big break' into finance was entirely an accident though, it was to get me out of the same department as my new spouse. That break allowed me to move into an area I enjoyed, impress, and if you impress, have the figures to back it up and the education and experience, the chances come.

Last edited by civilservant; Jun 18th 2022 at 9:14 am.
Old Jun 18th 2022, 1:36 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by baggy1971
ok....let me tell you from experience based on a similar set of scenarios as the OP and now as a civilian under the USAF.

The US government does NOT employ foreign nationals. Not green cards, nor 'secondments', with the exception of NATO exchanges during which security clearances are within the boundary of NATO and you remain an employee of your native country. Nothing to do with employment by the US government.

You will be required to obtain a security clearance anywhere from nothing (for the most benign role) to Top Secret including the possibility of clearance to exceptional levels above Top Secret. You will be required to relinquish your British nationality - indeed, you will be required to pledge allegiance to the US constitution upon admission to the military. Security clearance are NOT the same as the background checks done for an immigration visa/green card/citizenship.

Your pay and clearance level will be determined by your role and your GS Grade (pay grade and responsibility level). You will routinely be required to identify all foreign nationals you have had contact with in the previous five years. All countries you have visited in the prior five years and the reasons for travel.

You will have restricted access to materials as defined by US law and as seen applicable under ITAR regulations as long as you hold any contact with a foreign country.

You can NOT just walk into a role in any branch of the military as if a guy off the street.
that does not match what I have seen… Not only do non USC serve in the US military but there is a path to Citizenship for them:

https://www.uscis.gov/military/natur...litary-service

Old Jun 18th 2022, 10:33 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Biggest issue will be lack of degree. If you want to go IT, suggest you do the A+. NET+, SEC+ trifecta. Do you have a security clearance? That could be very helpful.

I was also surprised to learn my City doesn't require citizenship to apply for police academy. PR is sufficient, and they are always looking for recruits. Las Vegas could be a bit spicy, though. Best of luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.