Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to apply for UK Gratis Passport??

How to apply for UK Gratis Passport??

Old Dec 22nd 2008, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

makingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to apply for UK Gratis Passport??

Does anyone know what form is needed to apply for the UK Gratis passport available for people over 75? According to the website, you cannot use the downloadable version. It says you need a special form available from the British Embassy in Washington DC. I sent for it but am not sure what I got is the right form since it doesn't mention anything about the Gratis Passport. It also refers to an enclosed instruction sheet which was missing.

This is for my Mum who's last passport was the old black style which apparently also presents a complication. I tried calling the British Consulate in L.A. but one can't talk to anyone live there anymore--at least not using the generally published phone number.

They process the Gratis Passports in Liverpool. Does anyone know a phone number for that office?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:51 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to apply for UK Gratis Passport??

Which application form did you receive? The forms appear to start with either a B or a C.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 3:39 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a page from the UK Embassy in Ireland
http://britishembassyinireland.fco.g...-documentation

According to this, the form needed is the Form UKPS04 -- and it is not available electronically.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

More info -

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/passports/gratis-passport/
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

makingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond reputemakingwaves has a reputation beyond repute
Default Documentation needed for renewal??

Many thanks for this information. It looks like I've got the right form, it's says 04 at the top, but now I'm worried about the support documentation needed.

According to the Irish website, they require an original long form birth certificate. I wonder if that's just for a new application, or if it applies to renewals? In the past all that was needed was to return the old passport. I think I'm going to have to write the Embassy in Washington again for the missing "Guidance Notes." Mum was born back in 1915 and has lost her original birth certificate. I suppose we could send to London for a certified copy, but they didn't mention anything about certified even being acceptable.

Does anyone know what support documentation, if any, is required for a passport renewal?
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: How to apply for UK Gratis Passport??

Originally Posted by makingwaves
Does anyone know what form is needed to apply for the UK Gratis passport available for people over 75? According to the website, you cannot use the downloadable version. It says you need a special form available from the British Embassy in Washington DC. I sent for it but am not sure what I got is the right form since it doesn't mention anything about the Gratis Passport. It also refers to an enclosed instruction sheet which was missing.

This is for my Mum who's last passport was the old black style which apparently also presents a complication. I tried calling the British Consulate in L.A. but one can't talk to anyone live there anymore--at least not using the generally published phone number.

They process the Gratis Passports in Liverpool. Does anyone know a phone number for that office?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

The form you need is called an "04". It isn't a special form, just one used in the UK for making a passport application (and different from the one currently used overseas). All gratis passports are issued in the UK from a central budget hence the need to use a UK application form. The "office use only" section is completed by the North American Passport Production Centre in Washington to indicate to the Passport Office in Liverpool that the passport should be produced free of charge.

The Orlando Consulate provides the following information to applicants when we mail out the form:

"On 19 May 2004, the Home Secretary announced that a gratis passport scheme for all British passport holders over the age of 75 would be implemented in the autumn of 2004. All applicants born before 2 September 1929 are eligible for gratis passports under the scheme. All applications should be on original, United Kingdom Passport Service (UKPS) application forms and will be sent to the UKPS for processing. You should therefore bear in mind that the process will take longer - about eight to ten weeks - than if you lodge, and pay for, an application with the North American Passport Production Centre in Washington D.C.

To renew an expired or expiring passport (or a passport that has no blank pages) for a person born before 2 September 1929, you must provide the following:

ï‚· You should complete a UKPS application form, which has been enclosed.
ï‚· Two passport size photographs (see www.ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/orlando for correct sizing).
ï‚· You must send your old passport (it will be returned to you). Photocopies of Green Card, Driving license or Identity Card should also be enclosed.
ï‚· A fee of $15.00 is required for return delivery by UPS of your new passport (see www.ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/orlando for methods of payment).

Please remember that ALL gratis passport application must be sent to the North American Passport Production Centre, British Embassy, 19 Observatory Circle NW, Washington D.C.20008, who will then forward the application to the UKPS on the applicant’s behalf"

Hope this helps.

Dean
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

Default Are the Form 04 Guidance Notes available online?

Thank you very much for the above information. It is most helpful.

Just one other question. Are the Guidance Notes for Form 04 available online? I followed the link you provided and found the notes for form C-1. Are they similar?

Many thanks for the help.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

cranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nice

Guidance Notes for the UK passport application form are found here: http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/apply...ation-form.asp

Cranley
Old Dec 24th 2008, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

Default Just what I needed!

That's wonderful. It's just what I needed to make sense out of the application. Thanks very much indeed.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Documentation needed for renewal??

I think I'm going to have to write the Embassy in Washington again for the missing "Guidance Notes." Mum was born back in 1915 and has lost her original birth certificate. I suppose we could send to London for a certified copy, but they didn't mention anything about certified even being acceptable.
All "original" U.K. birth certificates are certified copies. The original is at the GRO and you never see it. They are acceptable.

For England and Wales: http://www.gro.gov.uk

Is your mother also a United States citizen?
Old Dec 31st 2008, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

Default Birth Certificate

Thanks for the link. My Mum has lived in the U.S. for many years but never became a citizen.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 11:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Birth Certificate

Thanks for the link. My Mum has lived in the U.S. for many years but never became a citizen.
Is there a reason why she didn't become a citizen? The option is still there and she would not lose British citizenship.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Is there a reason why she didn't become a citizen? The option is still there and she would not lose British citizenship.
I think she was intimidated by the test on US history and government. Now at 93 with her memory on the decline, it would definitely be beyond her capability.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 12:21 pm
JAJ
Retired

I think she was intimidated by the test on US history and government. Now at 93 with her memory on the decline, it would definitely be beyond her capability.
There is special consideration for elderly applicants:
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD
Old Jan 1st 2009, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
There is special consideration for elderly applicants:
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

Thanks so much for this link and info. It certainly opens up another option, however a more expensive one--it looks like it's $595 to apply for naturalization, versus $270 for a green card renewal. Other than simplifying travel documents, are there any other advantages of citizenship, given that my Mum is retired?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.