British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   How to apply for Social Security Number (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/how-apply-social-security-number-882098/)

Sashy Aug 20th 2016 8:14 pm

How to apply for Social Security Number

Hey guys,

I'm brand new to this forum. My husband and I are moving to Los Angeles next month and I'm just wondering if anyone could tell me the easiest way to apply for a Social Security Number once we arrive? I guess we can't take our US driving test or get cars or get paid without one right? Do you know how long the number takes to come through?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated, thanks :-)

Pulaski Aug 20th 2016 8:20 pm

Re: How to apply for Social Security Number

You do not need an SSN to start work and get paid. Many employers know to put someone on the payroll temporarily with an all-zeros SSN pending the receipt of your real SSN. .... I myself, started work with a major international company before I got my SSN. :)

In theory your SSN is applied for based on your visa paperwork at immigration, but it doesn't always happen. You can apply to get you number at your local SS office. Some people still say wait ten days, but I believe that is obsolete advice and you should be able to get your number 2-3 days after you arrive.

Jerseygirl Aug 20th 2016 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Sashy (Post 12031013)
Hey guys,

I'm brand new to this forum. My husband and I are moving to Los Angeles next month and I'm just wondering if anyone could tell me the easiest way to apply for a Social Security Number once we arrive? I guess we can't take our US driving test or get cars or get paid without one right? Do you know how long the number takes to come through?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated, thanks :-)

Go the the nearest social security office...we went the following day...but some on here recommend waiting a week or two. Depending on state laws...but most likely you cannot get a driving licensce without one. We lived in NJ and we had to get our SS #...then driving license...then insurance...then a car.

Pulaski Aug 20th 2016 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Sashy (Post 12031013)
.... I guess we can't take our US driving test or get cars .....

You can buy a car, and get insurance without an SSN - take a look at International Autosource - they will sell you a car(s), based on your non-US credit history, but you must sign the contract and pay a deposit before you arrive in the US. I bought my first car in the US through IA, and I recommend their services frequently.

zzrmark Aug 21st 2016 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12031023)
Go the the nearest social security office...we went the following day...but some on here recommend waiting a week or two. Depending on state laws...but most likely you cannot get a driving licensce without one. We lived in NJ and we had to get our SS #...then driving license...then insurance...then a car.

I jumped the gun and sought out an SSN before the advised ten day wait. When I went in chasing the office application a few days later (because I wanted to crack on with getting a driving licence) the office wallah said he'd mailed the number to me that day... checked on his computer to find it, then things went a bit manic as it appeared that the State Department had already issued a number and the one they'd processed for me was now also on it's way to me. Some frantic scrabbling and hunting down in the post-room and he found the envelope that was due to go out to me that day.

I was told that if I hadn't been so keen chasing the number through my local office I'd now be the proud recipient of two different SSN's. Most handy if I were to play the system... apparently. Not too sure why they wouldn't be able to recognise that after the fact but hey-ho.
The US, for all it's techno-hype, appears to operate in a fashion that one would expect from an early 20th century European country. Don't get me started on the banking system here...