Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How American have you become?

How American have you become?

Old Mar 15th 2005, 6:46 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How American have you become?

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Good point. I've noticed that Americans don't tend to use "please" and "thank you" when speaking to members of the public. e.g. grocery store cashiers, in eating establishments, etc.

I'm afraid I can't get out of the British habit of including these words in my daily conversation...

NC Penguin
I don't think I realized how often I say "Thank You" until I got here and started gettign hit with the knee-jerk "you're welcome" every time I said it.

We now have a game going at the supermarket - I've got it up to 17 times in one checkout.....my toddler counts and normally announces the total in a loud voice as we leave "You got 17 today Daddy yaaaay!!" Fortunately no one seems to know what he's talking about....
Old Mar 15th 2005, 6:49 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
I have people eating out of the palm of my hand sometimes.
I know what you mean!. In 'potentially difficult situations' I emphasize what I would call my 'Helen-Mirren-accent'. Worked a treat when I had to renew my DL (without SS#!!!) a couple of weeks ago. Of course it IS possible that the 3 DMV staff I had to deal with would have being equally polite and helpful without this - but then again, perhaps not...
Old Mar 15th 2005, 6:58 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Has your accent changed any since you moved here? I was reading on another board last week that someone who has lived here 3 years has already picked up an accent. Yesterday I helped a customer at work and recognised instantly that she was english... she has been here 30 year but sounded like she moved here yesterday. As for me I have been here over 2 years and apart from having to slow down when I speak I do not think my accent has really altered any, all though I do 'have a nice day' alot more than I ever used too.

Ash
My driving style is not American; I keep to the speed limit. But I do drive a big American car, but only to avoid steep medical bills if some car does whack me. But the old tank I drive seems to keep the upstart racers at bay, I guess they take one look at my beat up batmobile and think, "Uhhhh".

According to British friends, "well, at least you haven't got an American accent". I live to work, but that was in me before I settled in the USofA. I don't take many holidays, but that was in me too. But I do use American terms, like "ramp", sidewalk, etc. I have to bite my tongue when I go home and use "slip road", pavement, etc.

Old Mar 15th 2005, 8:24 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
I should bloody not hope not!! :scared: You've only been here 5 months!
Wow I didnt realise I was being followed from FD. Hi LOTL hows things over there these days then?

I was being tongue in cheek. Hence the "...But I do drive everywhere. And I ate a McDonalds once" bit.

Infact I would say about....oooh....99% of my posts are tongue in cheek.

But seriously, I doubt my accent will change in 5 months, 5 years or 50 years.

Old Mar 15th 2005, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

We still use our knives and forks the british way.

Whenever american children come for dinner I am appalled by the fact that they eat most things with their fingers and have no idea how to use a knife and fork. I am forever telling my 8 year old daughter to eat properly and she will then use her knife and fork.

I have to admit that I do say tomaydo and leddis when ordering a sandwich even though I cringe when I do it.

At an hotel in Syracuse.
Me - Croissant with butter please
Girl - Excuse me?
Me - Croissant with butter please
Girl - Crescent with what?
Me - Butter please
Girl - Eugh Mustard?
Me - No just butter thanks
Girl - Which mustard?
Me - B U T T E R
Girl - Oh badda, why didn't you just say badda?

Hubby at Olive Garden
Girl - What's the name?
Hubby - Peter
Girl - What?
Hubby - Peter
Girl - Uh? - then wrote Pizza in the book
Unhappy Hubby - I'm not called Pizza, I'm called Peter.
Girl - Uh?
Me - It's Pete
Girl - OK Pete

My kids talk American with friends and at school but English at home and don't realise they switch from one to another.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 9:21 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Wow I didnt realise I was being followed from FD. Hi LOTL hows things over there these days then?

I was being tongue in cheek. Hence the "...But I do drive everywhere. And I ate a McDonalds once" bit.

Infact I would say about....oooh....99% of my posts are tongue in cheek.

But seriously, I doubt my accent will change in 5 months, 5 years or 50 years.
I think you'll find, I was here first Just don't post as often now I have a life
Old Mar 15th 2005, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Texas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant future

Dunno 'bout y'all but, dude, I like totally haven't lost my limey accent . . .
Old Mar 15th 2005, 11:19 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
I think you'll find, I was here first Just don't post as often now I have a life

I know you were...but...you're picking on me.....Help! Im being stalked!
A Life......nope. Whats one of those?

So how are you LOTL?

Last edited by ImHere; Mar 15th 2005 at 11:30 pm.

Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:33 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard that if you start to take on the accent of where you live, it indicates you are happy there; conversely if you keep your old accent it indicates you'd be happier back home.

I don't know how true that is, but I certainly have taken on many nuances of an American accent - and I hate it! When I see myself on film (doesn't happen often , but I've had several lessons/presentations taped), my accent makes me cringe.

Funny thing is, Americans pick up immediately on my British accent (though they think it's Australian half the time), and Brits pick up immediately on my "American" accent.

But I will NEVER, EVER, say "aloominum", OR "tomaytoe"!, OR "leezhure", if I live here until I'm a hundred!
Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:38 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
I told some guy his website was a bit "noddy" looking today. After a longish pause he said: "Er but I havent got any naked pictures on there man". I realised he thought I meant nuddy as in nudist. Had to explain Noddy means childish in the UK.
Could be wrong, but I bet he thought you said "naughty".

When I use that one on my students (to mean "badly behaved"), they crack up.

(Naughty here tends to be interpreted as sexually deviant, not wicked.)
Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:40 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
.... And ... if the J is an H, then how is the H pronounced?
Like a lugie.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:47 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I've had several lessons/presentations taped
but do you pronounce it preeezntation, like my colleagues do?
Old Mar 16th 2005, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Laurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really nice

I am American, and I say 'budder' and 'toe-may-toe'. I have a feeling that will change when I move to Australia.

Also, several have mentioned that they have had to slow down their speech. Is that because it makes it easier for people to understand you, or do we just speak slower?

Also, what does "Gordon Bennett" mean?
Old Mar 16th 2005, 1:10 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Laurie1st
He is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records under “Greatest Engagement Faux Pas” for having his engagement to Caroline May broken off in 1877 after he arrived late and drunk at the May family’s New York mansion and urinated in the living room fireplace in front of his hosts.

.....or so Google tells me
Old Mar 16th 2005, 1:11 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by Laurie1st

Strewth! Blimey! Crickey! Stone The Crows! **** me!

Take your pick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.