British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   How about that snow? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/how-about-snow-645504/)

chrisfromusa Dec 20th 2009 7:15 am

How about that snow?

Anybody get buried in that snowstorm that just passed? We got a grand total of a foot and a half of snow! Thank goodness we had a Trailblazer on hand, can't count how many times the 4WD saved us from sliding into something

Jerseygirl Dec 20th 2009 9:26 am

Re: How about that snow?

You don't want to know what I think of it. :curse:

ironporer Dec 20th 2009 10:18 am

IP Jr was fervently hoping to get snow (he's only seen it once) but will be disappointed, andd we got was rain and a few flakes that melted.:(:(

robin1234 Dec 20th 2009 12:08 pm

We didn't get any snow from the purported "storm" that apparently hit the east coast. It's too cold for snow here. My daughter, who lives on Cape Cod, also got neither snow nor any rain... even though some forecasts were calling for 6-10 inches in her town. Nothing exciting here at all.. not even any tunnels for trains to break down in...:ohmy:

tonrob Dec 20th 2009 12:21 pm

I'm in Western MA and we got about 3 inches. Think it's worse out east towards Bob.

Poppy girl Dec 20th 2009 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8186722)
You don't want to know what I think of it. :curse:

Can we combine all the posts and threads on this subject lol.

bevinva Dec 20th 2009 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer (Post 8186796)
IP Jr was fervently hoping to get snow (he's only seen it once) but will be disappointed, andd we got was rain and a few flakes that melted.:(:(

That's what we got.:frown:

Rete Dec 20th 2009 4:01 pm

Not bad here in the New York City area. Just enough to be require a shovel but not heavy wet snow but soft powdery snow that is easy to push and lift. Had the car parking space done and the car dusted inside of 45 minutes. Now the sun is out and it is melting away.

candy wy. Dec 20th 2009 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 8187024)

now you sound like the other whiners..................:p

penguinsix Dec 20th 2009 6:25 pm

We had about 14-18 inches out here. Was a bit tricky getting the cars down the community road which doesn't get plowed by the city (we all dug two tracks in front of our houses). Eventually made it to the store only to realize their were no potato chips left.

But still better than in DC, where a neighborhood street snowball fight ended when a DC cop pulled a gun on the snow ball throwers.

http://gawker.com/5430433/fun-with-g...snowball-fight

thinbrit Dec 20th 2009 6:45 pm

Don't have a snowball fight in D.C., unless you want to run the risk of being shot by a cop :ohmy:

Listen to the cop admit he pulled his gun after being hit by a snowball.

Zonie Dec 20th 2009 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa (Post 8186602)
Anybody get buried in that snowstorm that just passed? We got a grand total of a foot and a half of snow! Thank goodness we had a Trailblazer on hand, can't count how many times the 4WD saved us from sliding into something

No it never got down here. I just sat by the pool as normal with a cold beer. The high was only 71F though.

Just Jenney Dec 20th 2009 8:58 pm

We live in the far west end of Richmond and we got about 13" of snow between Friday and Saturday. Luckily Mark's store closed early on Friday because of the storm, so he got to come home at 9pm instead of midnight. He also had Saturday off so we didn't have to worry about him driving in to work yesterday.

It took me a full hour to clear all the snow that had accumulated on and around my car. Yuck.

We'd bought advanced tickets to see "Avatar" on Saturday afternoon in the local 3D IMAX cinema (about 15 miles away), but there was no way we'd be able to make it given the roads. The tickets were non-refundable and (supposedly) non-changeable, but we called the cinema and they said we could use the tickets at a later date when the roads were safer. So, all was not lost. :thumbsup:

~ Jenney

Juswus Dec 20th 2009 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 8187498)

But still better than in DC, where a neighborhood street snowball fight ended when a DC cop pulled a gun on the snow ball throwers.

http://gawker.com/5430433/fun-with-g...snowball-fight

:eek:

Life's hard enough with existential angst. But outlawing fun? It's too much. It's all too much.
:lol:

Jerseygirl Dec 20th 2009 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 8187024)

:lol:

Well at least I can smile about it now. ;)