How to...?

Old Dec 29th 2012, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to...?

G'day all...

So we finally moved into our own home few weeks ago! Now that we have signed up for a monthly mortgage payment of 2,200 a month for the next 30 years (grrrr..), we would like to take every step to shorten that duration. One of them is paying little bit more than 2,200 a month. Another strategy is to pay every 2 weeks instead of monthly.

When I started to research more on the later, I was shocked to know that Citibank does not support this payment system. They however have 'out sourced' bi-weekly payment service to 'affiliates'. I am fine with that, expect for the fact that the affiliates will charge $3 per payment...what the frak?

I then tried to think of alternatives...1. processing payments via citibank online adding my wells fargo account. 2. recurring automated payments from wells fargo to mortgage account.

The issue is this. Let's say my payments are due on the 1st of the month. I have to pay the entire 2200 that day so if I were to split 2200 into biweekly, technically I will be behind on the loan i.e. if I were to pay 1100 on 1st and 1100 on 14th then I would be behind.

I just wanted to check in to see if anyone has any suggestions? thanks in advance.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 5:30 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to...?

Originally Posted by E3only
G'day all...

So we finally moved into our own home few weeks ago! Now that we have signed up for a monthly mortgage payment of 2,200 a month for the next 30 years (grrrr..), we would like to take every step to shorten that duration. One of them is paying little bit more than 2,200 a month. Another strategy is to pay every 2 weeks instead of monthly.

When I started to research more on the later, I was shocked to know that Citibank does not support this payment system. They however have 'out sourced' bi-weekly payment service to 'affiliates'. I am fine with that, expect for the fact that the affiliates will charge $3 per payment...what the frak?

I then tried to think of alternatives...1. processing payments via citibank online adding my wells fargo account. 2. recurring automated payments from wells fargo to mortgage account.

The issue is this. Let's say my payments are due on the 1st of the month. I have to pay the entire 2200 that day so if I were to split 2200 into biweekly, technically I will be behind on the loan i.e. if I were to pay 1100 on 1st and 1100 on 14th then I would be behind.

I just wanted to check in to see if anyone has any suggestions? thanks in advance.
Make one extra payment per year.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/mort...-big-cash.aspx

Last edited by Mallory; Dec 29th 2012 at 5:40 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 5:37 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
G'day all...

First check the mortgage documentation for pre-payment penalty clauses. If present, wait until this period has finished.

If you want to pay it down quicker, mail a check to the payment processor periodically with a memo line stating: To be applied to loan principle ONLY.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 12:45 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If you want to pay it down quicker, mail a check to the payment processor periodically with a memo line stating: To be applied to loan principle ONLY.
And then make sure they do....I got to know an Indian chappie on the citibank customer service line quite well. Oh, what fun we had, spending what seemed like hours chatting about the way my additional payments were to be applied. He insisted I had to apply some of the additional to interest, I insisted I didn't. In the end, I had to pull rank and his supervisor somewhat begrudgingly agreed with me...they must have enjoyed our little chats, because every few months they tried to revert to their old ways, just so I had to call them again. Maybe they liked my accent or something.....
Old Dec 30th 2012, 1:33 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

My lender - Suntrust - gives the option to make extra monthly payments. ie monthly due amount is 634.23, I was offered the option, and pay a round 650 by direct debit, or whatever they call it.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys.....I did a bit of research also. Mathematically paying 1/12th of monthly payment as extra payment to the normal monthly mortgage yields almost the same savings as doing a biweekly pay. I mean it makes sense but now that I know mathematically there is no difference, I wont be paying jack ($3 for each draft). Besides it also seems that the affiliates who charge 3 bucks for their service actually don't remit the funds to Citibank until end of month. So what wa*kers use client money for 14 days!

Thanks guys.