Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Houston Tx where to live?

Houston Tx where to live?

Old Jul 25th 2009, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all
Default Houston Tx where to live?

We are a family of 6 probably moving to Houston early next year with my husband's work based relocation from Aberdeen. I have researched our visas etc thoroughly and my husband is off to Houston tomorrow to start negotiations on our relocation package. Our kids are 17,16,7 and 2. The 17 year old starts uni in September 09 so he will not come with us in the first instance.

I have been looking at possible areas in Houston for where we could live. My husband is familiar with the city because he spends a lot of time there. However, I don't think he has looked at it from the point of view of us actually living there, schools and so on.

It looks like Katy/The Woodlands/Sugarland might suit us. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments? I have researched and looked at school info, standard of living info. But if anyone can give me any pointers that would be great.

We are looking for a good family area with good schools (who isn't I hear you ask!). At the moment, I am a solicitor and hubbie an IT director, so that gives you an idea of our circumstances in the UK. I hope to be able to pick up work of some kind over there but this is not a priority, so we will be living off his income alone. We hope to be able to buy outright (not immediately) in the region of $300,000 - $400,000 area. Don't want to spend too much because we want a pot of money 'just in case'.

Our budget does seem realistic from what I have seen but is it really? Can anyone help?

My husband will be working in the area of West Loop, so Sugarland looks quite closeby on the map but I have no idea if it really is. He can do a test run when he is there I suppose.

Thanks. Hope you might be able to give me some suggestions!

Last edited by Lazzza; Jul 25th 2009 at 3:36 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 25th 2009, 5:14 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houston Tx where to live?

Hi Lazzza,

We also moved from Aberdeen (well Stonehaven actually) to Houston just over 1 year ago. We did lots of research before moving and came for a 1 week pre-relo trip to check out all the areas. We looked at everywhere from Kingswood (NE), all the way round the loop to Clear Lake (SE). Katy has a large expat community and lots of choices for homes - It is a bit of a drive but if hubby's work is West Loop that might suit you well. Whenever we have visited Katy there doesn't appear to be a lot going on except a huge suburban sprawl (just my opinion). The Woodlands is beautiful but the drive in is horrendous (personally I wouldn't want to live there unless that's where work was), on the the hand you have everything you need on your doorstep. Out of the three areas you mentioned I would choose Sugarland. The town center is lovely, it is better established and has lots of trees lining the streets. I would imagine your hubby's commute would be similar if not less than from Katy (but definitely have him do a trial run). Check out the new developments up the 290 (NW) as well - we loved Bridgelands but ruled it out as it was too far for us. NB. I think the 290 is busy during rush hour as well.

We settled on Pearland which is South (and a bit East) as this suited us for my husband's commute. The area is expanding and there is plenty to do and we are only 30 mins from getting into Houston for Sports Events, Concerts etc. To be honest we don't go 'down town' very often as there is little need. Every area has a carbon copy of the same shops etc.

Drive times should be a major consideration (esp for rush hour commutes).

Your budget seems realistic - we spent just over your top line but got a 4300 sq ft with games room, media room etc. Compared to back home it's amazing what you get for your money (although people will go on and on that quality is not as good here!). We built to our specs in a new community and are really happy with the result.

Another good website for Houston info is http://www.city-data.com/forum/houston/. If you have any other questions feel free to ask or PM me.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

thanks so much for replying. Did you get a relo package from your husbands company? This is the next major consideration for us. And how much does it cost to actually buy a house (in fees) at, say $350,000. I have millions of questions! Did you move over with children? Are they settling in? We live in Moray not in Aberdeen but my hubby works in Aberdeen. This is a huge move for us, as it must have been for you. I am all in a spin.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 11:18 am
Just Joined

UKUSA6167 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I grew up in the Houston area, although I do not live there any longer I still have to agree that Sugarland is a great area. It has always been as well so you are not going to a community that has been " revamped". The high school, when I lived in Houston, was one of the top schools as well.
Best of Luck !
Old Jul 26th 2009, 7:42 pm
Welsh and proud in Texas

tigerbaywarrior is on a distinguished road

This is my fifth year in Houston - we came in from the UK after a short term in the UAE.

My wife insisted we move to the Woodlands which I agreed to. My office is on the north loop (610). The drive in/out was an average 45 minutes. While the Woodlands is very family friendly, there is a definite air of 'what do you have' and 'who do you know'. After 4 years, the penny has dropped with my wife and we have since moved to Spring.

If your husband is on the west side of town, you should definetly live on that side. Travel around Houston is NOT easy at rush hour. There are NO shortcuts (even the Hardy toll road is no longer a shortcut at 6pm). Highway 59, I-45 North/Gulf, 288, 290 are some of the roads that are daily snarled up. I hear I-10 west side runs very smooth now they have finished construction.

Hope everything runs smooth for you!
Old Jul 26th 2009, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for your advice. The daily commute/traffic is obviously a major factor when deciding where to live. It seems that we are not too far off track with Sugarland, which is our favourite choice at the moment. My husband is working over in Houston just now and his hotel is actually in Sugarland, which is great. He can drive around and get a feel for the commute.

So many things to think about..............
Old Jul 27th 2009, 11:53 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lazzza
We are a family of 6 probably moving to Houston early next year with my husband's work based relocation from Aberdeen. I have researched our visas etc thoroughly and my husband is off to Houston tomorrow to start negotiations on our relocation package. Our kids are 17,16,7 and 2. The 17 year old starts uni in September 09 so he will not come with us in the first instance.

I have been looking at possible areas in Houston for where we could live. My husband is familiar with the city because he spends a lot of time there. However, I don't think he has looked at it from the point of view of us actually living there, schools and so on.

It looks like Katy/The Woodlands/Sugarland might suit us. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments? I have researched and looked at school info, standard of living info. But if anyone can give me any pointers that would be great.

We are looking for a good family area with good schools (who isn't I hear you ask!). At the moment, I am a solicitor and hubbie an IT director, so that gives you an idea of our circumstances in the UK. I hope to be able to pick up work of some kind over there but this is not a priority, so we will be living off his income alone. We hope to be able to buy outright (not immediately) in the region of $300,000 - $400,000 area. Don't want to spend too much because we want a pot of money 'just in case'.

Our budget does seem realistic from what I have seen but is it really? Can anyone help?

My husband will be working in the area of West Loop, so Sugarland looks quite closeby on the map but I have no idea if it really is. He can do a test run when he is there I suppose.

Thanks. Hope you might be able to give me some suggestions!

Seattle.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lazzza
thanks so much for replying. Did you get a relo package from your husbands company? This is the next major consideration for us. And how much does it cost to actually buy a house (in fees) at, say $350,000. I have millions of questions! Did you move over with children? Are they settling in? We live in Moray not in Aberdeen but my hubby works in Aberdeen. This is a huge move for us, as it must have been for you. I am all in a spin.
As the buyer, your costs will be pretty light, some closing and inspection costs probably a few $1000 max (which you might be able to get the seller to pay for, depends how desperate they are). It's the seller who will take it up the trumpet with the big ticket costs (6% to re-estate agents....)

Your main question should be how does it cost to run, not how much does it cost to buy? The property taxes, electricity and water costs are all eye-wateringly expensive. I just got our Electricity bill -$558, water - $240, ok it has been the hottest July on record and watering has gone through the roof, just to keep everything from going completely brown.

Oh and on the relo, make sure you have in writing what the company is and isn't paying for. Also be aware that the relo costs will, in the most part, be taxable. Make sure that the package includes a written confirmation of the timeframe for the employer to apply for green cards (should you decide to stay) and what costs will be paid by whom and also an exit strategy back to the UK if either of you decide it isn't working. It makes sense to think about these things before you jump in. Finally be aware that your oldest is getting close to the age where they might not be able to get a GC (aging out).

- Tim

Last edited by TimFountain; Jul 27th 2009 at 2:02 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Texas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really nice

Currently I live in Sugar Land. Work on the West Loop, Takes me 30 mins on the HOV of a Morning with my wife taking me. It would take about an hour otherwise.

Sugar Land is one of the best places to live in the USA I am told.

Other than that welcome. If you need anymore help send me a mail

Old Jul 27th 2009, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

thanks everyone for your useful comments. I especially loike the comment 'Seattle'. Hilarious! But it rains there! Coming from Scotland, I don't want to go where it rains. Hurricanes and humidity are far better.........aren't they?

Anyway, yes we have realised that there is a huge costing exercise to be done here. It is not just a case of hopping across the pond and all will be well!

I realise the issue with my oldest but he is not likely to want to come out to the US at any time. He is determined to stay here in the UK and he is starting a 5 year masters degree course in engineering, so I guess I cannot force him.Maybe he will change his mind but I doubt it. He is only 17 at the moment and I will keep a close eye on him in the next few months just in case.

The one that troubles me is my 16 year old daughter. Our move should tie in with her finishing school next June at the end of the Scottish school year. What she will then do or be able to do will depend on her exam results. If it is Uni, she will come across with us but return to Scotland as an international student. This is the plan anyway. We are giving ourselves loads of time to plan/budget/prepare.

Hubby has first meeting with HR today in Houston. Fingers crossed
Old Jul 27th 2009, 7:15 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas_Scouser
...Sugar Land is one of the best places to live in the USA I am told...
Oh absolutely! This thread just goes to show what a great place it is!

Houston - Shit or not?

Old Jul 27th 2009, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

I think I'm scared to look at this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 27th 2009, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

big_fish is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved to Sugar Land 2 yrs ago. I work on the west side of downtown so a longer commute than your husbands looking at. Takes me 30-40 mins in the morning (leaving at 7am) about 10 mins longer going home.

Very happy with Sugar Land living. We bought a new build so rented an apartment for 5 mths while it was being built. As far as fees goes it's not too bad, I'd say about the same as the UK minus the stamp duty.

Maintaining a house is more expensive over here. Main one is property taxes. For Sugar Land expect to pay something around $3.00-$3.50 per $100 value (that's how you'll see it quoted). So for a $400k house that works out at $12-14k per annum.

Our electricity is usually around $150/mth in winter, $350/mth in summer, but the last couple of mths have been higher as this summer's been breaking records heatwise. Water $100-$200/mth depending on season. Gas $50-$100/mth.

Feel free to mail me if you have more questions....