Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Houston, TX residents

Houston, TX residents

Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houston, TX residents

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Whats wrong with you? Its an 18 lane highway, its what Americas about! Get out there and embrace the local culture! (Just dont expect to get back in time for dinner...)

Look mate I have lived in here for close on 20 years now and I10 has been an ongoing construction site since I got here. It's never ending
Old Sep 12th 2007, 4:16 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

Look mate I have lived in here for close on 20 years now and I10 has been an ongoing construction site since I got here. It's never ending
18 lanes and it still can't handle the volume.....according to the website, its 2009....but by the middle of next year I bet its back to 2011...its like painting the forth bridge......or widening the M25.....
Old Sep 12th 2007, 4:21 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Which dinner? That day's dinner, or the next day's?

Yesterday it rained here in Dallas. As a result, my 18 mile morning commute took 1 hour and 25 minutes.

There's a good reason I don't have a gun. By the end of one commute like that and I'd either use it on myself, or one of the truck driving morons I'm forced to share the road with!
Wrong type of rain? Just wait till autumn and the leaves start falling....

I used to work in Central London with a guy who reckoned without his morning commute on BR he wouldn't be sufficiently pissed off or aggressive enough to do his job properly....he was a trader............sad way to live
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

I used to work in Central London with a guy who reckoned without his morning commute on BR he wouldn't be sufficiently pissed off or aggressive enough to do his job properly....he was a trader............sad way to live
Oh I can relate to that!!
Old Sep 12th 2007, 4:22 pm

Great - and now we're on a tropical storm warning...that one crept up out of nowhere.....5-10 inches of rain expected in next 24 hours....guess the kids football practise is gonna be cancelled tonight then. Again.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 7:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Great - and now we're on a tropical storm warning...that one crept up out of nowhere.....5-10 inches of rain expected in next 24 hours....guess the kids football practise is gonna be cancelled tonight then. Again.

.........here we go again and yes it certainly is a sneaky one

Man the pumps everyone 'cos I don't want a repeat of last years flooding
Old Sep 12th 2007, 7:47 pm

.........here we go again and yes it certainly is a sneaky one

Man the pumps everyone 'cos I don't want a repeat of last years flooding

At least it keeps the water bills down.....
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, just about to get the patio furniture in as it's due to be quite fierce apparently.

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HOUSTON/GALVESTON TX 125 PM CDT WED SEP 12 2007 ..INLAND TROPICAL STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM CDT THURSDAY... TROPICAL STORM HUMBERTO WILL MOVE INLAND TONIGHT BRINGING STRONG WINDS OF 25 TO 40 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS NEAR 50 MPH IN ASSOCIATED SQUALLS. TXZ200-213-214-226-227-235>238-130230- /O.NEW.KHGX.TI.W.0002.070912T1825Z-070913T1200Z/ BRAZORIA-CHAMBERS-FORT BEND-GALVESTON-HARRIS-JACKSON-LIBERTY- MATAGORDA-WHARTON- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ALVIN...ANAHUAC...ANGLETON...BAY CITY... CLEVELAND...DAYTON...EDNA...EL CAMPO...FREEPORT...FRIENDSWOOD... GALVESTON...HOUSTON...HUMBLE...KATY...LAKE JACKSON... LEAGUE CITY...LIBERTY...MISSOURI CITY...MONT BELVIEU...PALACIOS... PASADENA...PEARLAND...PIERCE...RICHMOND...ROSENBER G... SUGAR LAND...TEXAS CITY...TOMBALL...WHARTON...WINNIE 125 PM CDT WED SEP 12 2007 ..INLAND TROPICAL STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM CDT THURSDAY... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN HOUSTON/GALVESTON HAS ISSUED AN INLAND TROPICAL STORM WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM CDT THURSDAY. STRONG WINDS WILL ACCOMPANY THE ARRIVAL OF TROPICAL STORM HUMBERTO TONIGHT AS IT COMES ASHORE. SUSTAINED WINDS OF 25 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS OF 40 TO 50 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE. THE STRONGER WINDS WILL BE PRIMARILY IN AREAS TO THE EAST OF THE HIGHWAY 59 CORRIDOR...WITH AREAS IN BRAZORIA...GALVESTON...EASTERN HARRIS...CHAMBERS COUNTY HAVING THE GREATEST POTENTIAL OF SEEING THESE STRONG WINDS. SUSTAINED AND PERSISTENT WINDS IN EXCESS OF 30 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE ALONG THE IMMEDIATE COAST BEGINNING BETWEEN 7 AND 8 PM. THE WINDS WILL SPREAD INLAND AND INTO THE INLAND TROPICAL STORM WARNING AREA AFTER 9 PM. THE WINDS SHOULD RELAX GRADUALLY AS THE SYSTEM MOVES INLAND. MINOR DAMAGE MAY OCCUR IN OLDER MOBILE HOME PARKS. NEWLY PLANTED TREES AND SHRUBS MAY BE UPROOTED IF NOT SECURED PROPERLY. SOME SMALL TWIGS WILL SEPARATE FROM TREES. RESIDENTS SHOULD MOVE UNFASTENED ITEMS...SUCH AS GARBAGE CANS AND DECK FURNITURE...INDOORS. UNSECURED LIGHTWEIGHT ITEMS MAY BECOME PROJECTILES...CAUSING ADDITIONAL DAMAGE. MOST NEWLY PLANTED TREES AND SHRUBS WILL BE DAMAGED OR UPROOTED. SOME ROTTING SMALL TREES WILL BE UPROOTED...AND ROTTEN LARGE BRANCHES WILL SNAP. NUMEROUS SMALL TWIGS WILL SEPARATE FROM TREES. FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION MONITOR NOAA WEATHER RADIO AND THE INTERNET FOR THE LATEST FORECASTS...AND WARNINGS.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mandana
Yep, just about to get the patio furniture in as it's due to be quite fierce apparently.

they've just said out in katy you should not be affected.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:38 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

At least it keeps the water bills down.....
we've hardly had our rainbird on this summer tks to the rainfall.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TruBrit
they've just said out in katy you should not be affected.
Oh thanks for that. OH put the wind up me a little [see what I did there?!]
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mandana
Oh thanks for that. OH put the wind up me a little [see what I did there?!]

That's right...so we're all heading for your house to get out of this mess.

Kettle on ready then...
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's right...so we're all heading for your house to get out of this mess.

Kettle on ready then...
More than welcome!

Kettle is on
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:54 pm

[QUOTE=Mandana;5304176] NEWLY PLANTED TREES AND SHRUBS MAY BE UPROOTED IF NOT SECURED PROPERLY. .... MOST NEWLY PLANTED TREES AND SHRUBS WILL BE DAMAGED OR UPROOTED. QUOTE]

bu99er Bu99er Bu99er. I've spent the last few weekends landscaping a patch of our side garden - couple of weeks ago I planted half a dozen miniature crepe myrtles.....guess they're gonna be toast then. Unless I can "secure them" - what does that mean? Haven't got any stakes - reckon I could tie the one of the kids to each them to weight them down a bit?
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:56 pm

Oh, cancel those bu99ers - we're alright Jack

Ps - wherebouts in Katy are you Mandana? Err have we already had this conversation?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.