Houston, TX

Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:51 pm
Critical Circuits

Terminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of light
Default Houston, TX

We will be moving to the US in a couple of months and it's "all systems go" here!
I'm hoping that someone might remember how they went about finding a freight/shipping company to move their personal effects.
Can you recommend the one you used?

Is there anything in hindsight that you wished you'd done at the time, but hadn't considered?

If you could move again, what would you do differently?

I'd particularly like to hear from Houston residents although all replies are most welcome!
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houston, TX

Originally Posted by Terminal
We will be moving to the US in a couple of months and it's "all systems go" here!
I'm hoping that someone might remember how they went about finding a freight/shipping company to move their personal effects.

Is there anything in hindsight that you wished you'd done at the time, but hadn't considered?

I'd particularly like to hear from Houston residents although all replies are most welcome!

Hi Terminal

I'm in Houston - been here almost a month now (where has that time gone?)

Ours was a company move, so I can't give you prices, but I can recommend the movers - they were great. The move was orchestrated by Graebel in the US and the UK company they used was Robinsons. I'll see if I can find their email/website address for you.

We had a 40' container for our furniture & belongings, 100 lbs each air shipment and our baggage allowance was 3 large suitcases each (Continental). We were very underweight luggage wise and I wish we'd brought more with us - but hey.

In our air shipment we brought our computer and printer as I felt it was imperative to be in contact with home (and it's proven invaluable). We also brought the cat's stuff too in the air shipment (bowls, brushes, toys) as he came out too (a few days after us).

Advice? Erm .. have a party. We didn't and I regret that. Instead my husband wanted to see everyone individually, and we ended up seeing some people more than once, so lots of meals were consumed and precious time spent. I don't regret them in the slightest, but it would have been easier to keep those meals to very close family & friends and a big send-off for everyone else (the others included too!). It wasn't because we didn't want a party (well, my H wasn't that keen), but because things were very rushed .. we only got the news we were coming here mid Feb, and there was so much to do (let our house, I had 2 operations scheduled, finish my college course etc., etc.)

What I found really hard was being at home doing most of the arranging myself as when we came out here to find a house at Easter, I left my H here to start his new job. That was tough and I wouldn't want to do it again.

The inventory required by the movers was hard going too, but I guess now it's done, when we go back home, or if we had to do it again it won't be so bad. Listing every single item is a right PITA!

Good luck with everything!

HTH

Mandana
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:51 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

WTF is everyone moving to Houston all of a sudden?

Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

Maybe we're just the gobby crew!
Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:54 pm
Critical Circuits

Terminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of light

I wasn't aware there was mass exodus there. Is there a conspiracy I've missed?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

someone has to, Florida's full

Anyway, might want to have a search through the forums, quite a few threads on the topic, some fairly recent with good advice
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:32 pm
Critical Circuits

Originally Posted by Bob
someone has to, Florida's full

Anyway, might want to have a search through the forums, quite a few threads on the topic, some fairly recent with good advice
I did that and only found two that were useful. One about furniture stores and another about how horrible the place is, bugs, mosquitoes and scorpions.

Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

I did that and only found two that were useful. One about furniture stores and another about how horrible the place is, bugs, mosquitoes and scorpions.

We'll help each other Terminal

If I find a thread I'll point you in the right direction
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:47 pm
Critical Circuits

Originally Posted by Mandana
We'll help each other Terminal

If I find a thread I'll point you in the right direction
That would be grand!
I was trying not to think about the bugs. Don't react well to them particularly and got sting by a scorpion in Florida. I guess I must taste nice.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

That would be grand!
I was trying not to think about the bugs. Don't react well to them particularly and got sting by a scorpion in Florida. I guess I must taste nice.
We were recommended to have our house sprayed once a quarter for bugs. Actually, they said it wasn't a recommendation - it was essential. Bear that in mind if you didn't know it already.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:57 pm
Critical Circuits

Originally Posted by Mandana
We were recommended to have our house sprayed once a quarter for bugs. Actually, they said it wasn't a recommendation - it was essential. Bear that in mind if you didn't know it already.
Eww! thanks for the forewarning.

They sprayed the hotels in Cuba when we went there.. Have to say, very effective... didn't see a single thing the whole time we were there.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have to tell TruBrit all this news
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:38 pm
Critical Circuits

Anyway... (steering the thread back to the original topic)
  • Is there anything in hindsight that you wished you'd done at the time, but hadn't considered?
  • If you could move again, what would you do differently?

Old Jun 14th 2007, 12:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We used Pickfords...didn't bring any furniture but had loads of boxes and cases. Mainly my clothes, shoes and handbags.

We sold our house in the UK after 2 years...wished we hadn't.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:25 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Haven't a clue, not one lol!

Iam alive again now back home and it feels gr8 albeit for a few wks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.