Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Houston Texas

Houston Texas

Old Jun 25th 2011, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Eddie ONeill will become famous soon enoughEddie ONeill will become famous soon enough
Default Houston Texas

Hi,

My wife and I are moving to Houston in a few months time. She is a US citizen, I'm from Scotland. Just wondered if there are any expats in Houston that could give me a heads up on what to expect.

Best Regards
Eddie
Old Jun 25th 2011, 6:25 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houston Texas

Originally Posted by Eddie ONeill View Post
Hi,

My wife and I are moving to Houston in a few months time. She is a US citizen, I'm from Scotland. Just wondered if there are any expats in Houston that could give me a heads up on what to expect.

Best Regards
Eddie
you might find this thread of some interest:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ouston+shit+OR

Close result in the end.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Eddie ONeill will become famous soon enoughEddie ONeill will become famous soon enough

Thanks, just read that one. Pretty close call
Old Jun 25th 2011, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Try City-Data.com forum for Houston for specific information of the area. Houston has everything you might need and there is plenty to do but the weather is awful. Heat, heat and more heat!
Old Jun 25th 2011, 8:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Best Regards
Eddie
Bring very few clothes and lots of mosquito spray and lots of deodarant, apply both to the body hourly.....and don't forget sunglasses and some kind of head protection from the big yellow thing that is in the sky most of the year
Old Jun 26th 2011, 5:46 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Heat, humidity, bugs sorry must be feeling negative tonight

We have lived here for 3 years now and I think heat is the biggest difference. It's been high 90's for as long as I can remember and it has rained once in about 3 months. Have found cost of living about the same, although more bang for your buck and we do eat out a lot more (than we did and than we should!).

Houston (and surrounding areas) are very spread out so expect to rake up the mileage although long trips don't seem so bad on big wide roads.

Lot's of shopping, entertainment, sporting events, restaurants (with huge portions!)

We moved from Stonehaven, just south of Aberdeen - where are you guys moving from?
Old Jun 26th 2011, 9:09 am
Just Joined

We currently live in the south of England. The weather sounds a bit of a challenge I guess on the up side, lots of golf courses We are looking at living in or around Katy.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Chimaera is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just moved over from London a few months ago currently living in the Woodlands. Personally i've not had any problems, yes the heat is tough to get used to but you spend so little time outside that it's more of an inconvenience, the only time i notice it is when getting into the car after it's been outside for a while, otherwise it's aircon to aircon.

The quality of life here is much better, that's why i moved, for the same price as my 1 bedroom flat in greater London i can get a 4 bedroom detached house here.

I've heard Katy is nice but the traffic down the I-10 is heavy unless you leave really early, that's been the hardest part for me, i used to work 8.30 - 5 in London but now to avoid the traffic i leave the house at 6 and get into work at 7.30, otherwise it's gridlock the entire way down I-45. It's more a case of having to get used to a new working schedule compared to what i've done my entire working life in the UK.

Otherwise no regrets, it's hot and sweaty but i get to see blue skies and sunshine almost every day whilst lounging in the pool at my appartment complex, so i guess that's something!
Old Jun 27th 2011, 5:01 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Eddie

There are lots of us on here that call Houston home from home. I've been here since 2005 and I live in Cinco Ranch in Katy. Where are you going to be working out of? The commute times have certainly got better as they've widened the I10 freeway but depending on where your offices are will depend on how great your commute is from Katy.

Not sure if you have children coming with you, but if you do the Katy schools are great. They have built the area up in terms of amenities hugely in the 6 years that I've been here, and they don't seem to be slowing down with regard to the conveniences: malls, restaurants, fitness, movies etc.

I like Katy BUT would say if I didn't have children I would probably live further "in" where there is even more restaurants and social aspects.

As for the heat -yes it can be a killer but it's set up for it here so you're never far from good old air conditioning. I've never been a sun worshipper at all, but I have definitely got used to it since living here and now don't get as affected as I used to - doesn't stop me doing stuff outside - tennis, running etc.

Feel free to ask any questions.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 5:12 pm
Welsh and proud in Texas

tigerbaywarrior is on a distinguished road

8 year veteran.

Living up north of town in Spring. Lived in the Woodlands and didn't like it.

PM or free feel to ask.

Good luck!

(P.S. I love the heat! Lived in UAE prior to TX.....)
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:08 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

I guess on the up side, lots of golf courses:
Yep and none of that walking the course mallarky - carts all the way I can even recommend a partner for you, my poor hubby hasn't found a golf buddy yet!
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

The golf courses look good. Not sure about the carts, I like to walk, but I guess in the heat it's not advisable.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 11:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 is an unknown quantity at this point

The golf courses look good. Not sure about the carts, I like to walk, but I guess in the heat it's not advisable.

You will change your mind when you try it.....
Old Jun 29th 2011, 9:22 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome, we are in Katy as well and are enjoying it. I often see the golf drinks people drink by in their little golf cart. You don't even need to leave the course to get your beer (not that I play).