Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Houston People - We have arrived but need advice!

Houston People - We have arrived but need advice!

Old Nov 5th 2012, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Parisangel will become famous soon enough
Default Houston People - We have arrived but need advice!

Hello!

Well, we have been here for 2 weeks and really Houston has surpassed my expectations - we're staying temporarily right by Hermann Park and have really liked it. Hubby started worked today though so it will feel less like a holiday and more like reality!

I have a few questions, some important, some trivial. As always, any help and guidance is very welcome.....

1. Please explain the deal with doctors out here...say one of us wanted to go to the doctor for a minor complaint....eg like going to see your GP in UK - what's the procedure? They don't have GPs here do they?

2. We are renting a car but want to buy one asap - what do we need to do this in terms of ID to buy one and do we need SSN (waiting for it to come through)??

3. We loved going to the beach at Galveston but though in general it was a bit "blackpool-ish" - any recommendations for nice coastal areas / beach areas?

That will probably do for now!

Thanks
Old Nov 5th 2012, 4:24 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houston People - We have arrived but need advice!

Originally Posted by Parisangel
Hello!

Well, we have been here for 2 weeks and really Houston has surpassed my expectations - we're staying temporarily right by Hermann Park and have really liked it. Hubby started worked today though so it will feel less like a holiday and more like reality!

I have a few questions, some important, some trivial. As always, any help and guidance is very welcome.....

1. Please explain the deal with doctors out here...say one of us wanted to go to the doctor for a minor complaint....eg like going to see your GP in UK - what's the procedure? They don't have GPs here do they?

2. We are renting a car but want to buy one asap - what do we need to do this in terms of ID to buy one and do we need SSN (waiting for it to come through)??

3. We loved going to the beach at Galveston but though in general it was a bit "blackpool-ish" - any recommendations for nice coastal areas / beach areas?

That will probably do for now!

Thanks
Welcome to Houston! Glad to hear so far so good for y'all!
I'll help where I can with the first two qns.

1) Docs - do you have insurance? Your insurer should provide you a list of in-network doctors. Normally you have to register with them or phone them up to ensure they are accepting new patients. Look for family practice (closest to GP). Then you just phone up and make an appointment. You'll pay a Copay (as per your insurance - but typically $15-$40).

2) You'll need an SSN if you're applying for credit, otherwse you shouldn't need it. You will need DL and insurance proof though to drive the car away. I got my Texas DL before buying a car but think your UK DL should still be accepted (though you should go ahead and get a Texas DL asap and definitely within 90 days).

Good luck!
Old Nov 5th 2012, 4:30 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Parisangel!

1. First check what kind of insurance hubby has through work. He should call the Benefits department or talk to his manager for details. He will need to know the provider (such as Blue Cross or Cigna) and kind of insurance (PPO, HMO, etc) and his account number. Then you will need to locate a covered doctor or clinic. I personally use Kelsey-Seybold and find them satisfactory in most respects, but you can look at the provider's website for help finding one. Call and ask the doctor or clinic if they take your kind of insurance. Make an appointment if they do. Then be prepared to take a copay with you to pay on the spot (whatever your insurance asks you to pay up front; mine is usually 25 dollars). Do not be too late or miss the appointment or you can be charged for a visit. If hubby has prescription coverage then you will need to get that information and choose a pharmacy that your plan covers (try HEB grocery's pharmacy department first if one is convenient to you). The doctor can call the prescription in to your chosen pharmacy and then you can pick it up. Be prepared to pay your insurance's copay for that too (the pharmacy will know what it is). If a medication is terribly expensive, ask the pharmacist if an alternative is available (they might be able to arrange it with your doctor).

2. I don't know; I have never bought a car on credit.

3. My brother's family in San Antonio like to visit Port Aransas. I've not been there personally, but my brother is picky so it is probably worth checking out!

Hope that helps!
Old Nov 5th 2012, 4:43 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

2. Yes you can buy a car with a UK license. We did. They can be funny about test driving though. If you are paying cash, you'll need proper checks with your name and address embossed, or a bankers draft. We used Teax Auto Direct for one of ours. You test drive it at their massive place, but then can bid for it on eBay. Saved us quite a bit.

Welcome to Houston!

Last edited by Weeze; Nov 5th 2012 at 4:52 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 4:55 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

You already got good advice on the doctor but just as an aside if it is a minor complaint you can also go to a walk in clinic at CVS or Walgreens (again check that they take your insurance). They will see you for vaccinations, pink eye, sore throat type of things and can be quicker and less expensive than seeing your doctor. We use a doctor at Memorial Hermann as our PCP (primary care physician) and they see all 3 of us, no need for a pedeatrician for our son or OBGYN for my annual 'visit' so it feels very like visiting our GP back home.

When we bought our cars we had our SSN's but not our Texas Drivers Licences. I can't remember if we 'had' to have our SSN's or if that's just how it worked out. They were more interested in getting our cheque.

Friends of ours often go down to Surfside Beach, also Corpus Christie or South Padre Island for a longer trip - we have been to Corpus and it wasn't worth the drive IMHO, they are all a bit blah. Better to head over towards FL and make a weekend/week of it if you want a really nice beach!
Old Nov 5th 2012, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys!!

Also, I am struggling to get to grips with driving on the right and automatic car....going to do a very small journey today with the children from here to the children's museum (about a mile!) - intersections and knowing where to turn down is confusing me no end!!! What is the Texas driving test thing like?? Hard??? really worried that I have to do this in a few weeks time!
Old Nov 5th 2012, 5:18 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Parallel park, reverse in a straight line, turn right 4 times, turn left 4 times. There's a theory test and eye site test before your road test.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Weeze
Parallel park, reverse in a straight line, turn right 4 times, turn left 4 times. There's a theory test and eye site test before your road test.
Oh God, I suck at parallel parking....did you find it hard here at first or am I just rubbish? Was a very confident driver overall at home, seem to have gone to pieces here!
Old Nov 5th 2012, 5:22 pm

I'd had a license since I was 17, but didn't really drive in the UK. I set myself small goals every day and built them up. First day OH was at work, I went to Randall's. After a few ads I joined a moms club and went to their meet ups.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 5:24 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys!!

Also, I am struggling to get to grips with driving on the right and automatic car....going to do a very small journey today with the children from here to the children's museum (about a mile!) - intersections and knowing where to turn down is confusing me no end!!! What is the Texas driving test thing like?? Hard??? really worried that I have to do this in a few weeks time!
No. It's fairly straightforward. Do some learning for the theory/written side though. Things like the different fines etc tend to come up.

The practical test - I had to do a parallel park then something like 5 right turns and one left turn. The whole test was only 5 mins or so.

And as for actually driving - I think it's a bit overwhelming to start with. I remember hating driving when I first came here years ago, but you do get used to it and the intersections are actually all laid out the same (well, for the most part). Most of them have a U turn lane for both directions than a central divide which separates the two different directions. There are also normally lines on the road to follow. There are some pretty nasty interchanges on some of the freeways though where you have to get over 6 lanes or so in a fairly short space (I-10 onto 290 via 610 is one example).

Just remember the key things; drive on the right! Stop for school busses if their lights are on and the stop sign is out (both sides of the road), stop at STOP signs, you can turn right on red at lights unless it says no turn on red.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 5:26 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Oh God, I suck at parallel parking....did you find it hard here at first or am I just rubbish? Was a very confident driver overall at home, seem to have gone to pieces here!
Get a car with a rearview camera!

The space is big enough for the bigger SUVs - I'd recommend doing it in a smaller car if that's a choice for you. I did mine in a Hertz rental - I got a slightly odd look when I handed over my (very little) paperwork from hertz showing I was insured then she just let me get on with it.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 5:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

GP=PCP. Process of seeing a doctor or anyone you want depends on your medical insurance, you should have been given a benefits book from HR going over this.

Drivers license, it's easy... You should read up on the penalty points side of things and really learn all the rubbish that affects under 21 drivers as they tend to come up most in the theory test.

When doing the practical test, just over emphasise things like looking in the mirror and over your shoulder. Make sure the car is registered, insured and anything else needed to be road legal when you do the test and don't speed.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 7:14 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Not to worry you but hubby and I both failed our Texas DL first time round! The written and eye tests were no probs but....

I was a nervous wreck and pulled out in front of someone at a stop which I assumed was 4 way but was not . Next time I drove like a little old granny, checking my mirrors every fews secs and very slow.

Hubby was at exactly the same spot as me but made a different mistake - he snuck up the right of a car to make a right turn and was told he was not allowed to 'create' a lane so he failed too.

Second time round we both passed

Also they give you quite a big space to parallel park and it's between 2 cones not actual cars (at least it was in Alvin) - just go out and practice a few times.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

welcome to Houston....its very different here as I am sure you are finding out.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 9:00 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

We have a wiki on health insurance that you might want to take a look through.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Health_Insurance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.