British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Houston Move (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/houston-move-674785/)

dibraggio Jul 1st 2010 12:02 pm

Houston Move

I am sure this has been done a million times on here before, so i appreciate your patience.

I am 23 yrs old and am being given an opportunity to move to Houston set up and run a new service centre for my company (oil and gas, shock for Houston!!).

I currently stay just a few miles outside of Aberdeen, Scotland (Portlethen).

Obviously being 23, i have quite an active lifestyle (football, golf, nightlife etc etc). However, this is all done with friends and what not. Moving to Houston would be a slol endeavour (no wife or kids). SO what is there to do around Houston in free time? How do you get involved in the ex-pat scene out there?

I have worked in Houston a bit over tha last 3 years, though no more than 10 days or so. I know the area well enough to get about (with the help of a sat nav).

My expenses (house, car etc) would be paid for, so that is not an issue.

The move is for an initial 12/24 month period, so not permanent yet. That will be determined on the success of the venture.

Any help and information you can provide would be great.

I am excited by the opportunity, but anxious to know other peoples (similar) stories.

Thanks guys!

Darren.

ChocolateBabz Jul 1st 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Houston Move

We moved in June 2008 from Stonehaven but as a family and being a bit (ahem) older than you can't really tell you much about the younger scene. The biggest drawback to social life I can see is that Houston is such a big place - you have to drive to pretty much anywhere, public transport is almost non existant and taxis are expensive. That said if you were to live closer to downtown I am pretty sure you could get around better than us out in the 'burbs.

Haven't seen much in the way of football but I am sure there must be clubs out there. Golf is a big thing - lot's of courses but too bloody hot most of the time to play :D - doesn't stop my hubby though as he loves the heat!.

Lot's of expats out Katy way but again that is a suburb so it's a trek to get downtown.

Other than that there are restaurants, cinemas, theatre, concerts, sports events (american football/basketball/baseball), night classes (beer tasting/cooking etc.) - lot's to do you will just have to find some young folk your own age to 'hang' with. Oh and there is something called 'Events & Adventures' constantly being advertised on the radio where singles can get together and go for days out. And there is always church - someone's always trying to get me to a bloody church :rolleyes:.

And if you get really lonely I am sure we could rustle up a plate of mince & tatties for you ;).

Good luck with the move :)

Bob Jul 1st 2010 7:31 pm

Houston has come up quite a lot, so worth checking out those threads, though they are probably more geared towards families, so schools and housing being more important.

City-data.com is another good starting point.

Good luck and welcome to BE:)

tonrob Jul 1st 2010 9:47 pm

Whatever you do, don't read this thread - it's rubbish.

ukintexas Jul 1st 2010 11:55 pm

Hi there
I live in Houston (Katy to be precise) and as with Chcolatebabz am a slightly more vintage model than you! However, I work with lots of different people of all ages who come to Houston for work for periods of time and the young, free and single always find alot to do.

You would be best looking at living somewhere like CityCenter, MidTown, Rice Village where all the younger amenties are - think bars, restaurants, nightlife etc. Don't get me wrong, it's not like living on the strip of Lanzarote with non stop music/noise etc, but it's a younger "vibe" and more social scene. The time you are here will fly by so I'd grab it with both hands - get your mates to book their tickets to come and see you and come and experience all that this location and the US has to offer.

PM any questions you've got or keep posting on here. Us oldens will be happy to help :p

Lukster Jul 2nd 2010 2:34 am

Originally Posted by dibraggio (Post 8670199)
I am sure this has been done a million times on here before, so i appreciate your patience.

I am 23 yrs old and am being given an opportunity to move to Houston set up and run a new service centre for my company (oil and gas, shock for Houston!!).

I currently stay just a few miles outside of Aberdeen, Scotland (Portlethen).

Obviously being 23, i have quite an active lifestyle (football, golf, nightlife etc etc). However, this is all done with friends and what not. Moving to Houston would be a slol endeavour (no wife or kids). SO what is there to do around Houston in free time? How do you get involved in the ex-pat scene out there?

I have worked in Houston a bit over tha last 3 years, though no more than 10 days or so. I know the area well enough to get about (with the help of a sat nav).

My expenses (house, car etc) would be paid for, so that is not an issue.

The move is for an initial 12/24 month period, so not permanent yet. That will be determined on the success of the venture.

Any help and information you can provide would be great.

I am excited by the opportunity, but anxious to know other peoples (similar) stories.

Thanks guys!

Darren.

Hi, I moved to Houston from Manchester with work in Oct 09 on a 12 month international assignment and had the same concerns. I'm pleased to say that Houston has a lot to offer in terms of bars, restaurants, watching and playing sports, cinemas, theatres etc. The weather is great and flights are relatively cheap to explore the US. I and my fiance have found it an easy place to settle.

dibraggio Jul 2nd 2010 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Lukster (Post 8671782)
Hi, I moved to Houston from Manchester with work in Oct 09 on a 12 month international assignment and had the same concerns. I'm pleased to say that Houston has a lot to offer in terms of bars, restaurants, watching and playing sports, cinemas, theatres etc. The weather is great and flights are relatively cheap to explore the US. I and my fiance have found it an easy place to settle.

thanks for all the comments guys.

i have been talking it over with friends, and if this was my one chance to move and try something different, i would hate for it to slip away without even trying it.

think my mind is made up on moving (probably in the next 3 months), so will just see how it goes.

Lazzza Jul 2nd 2010 3:12 pm

We just moved here from Buckie. We are out in Katy and are definititely a 'little' older. This area is for families with kids. You would be best to stay nearer the Galleria area. You can actually walk around down there and there are loads of places to eat, drink etc...

There are loads of Brits here. I meet Scots everywhere I go! On Monday a lady from Dundee introduced herself in a shopping centre, on Wednesday I met 2 women (one from Aberdeen and the other from Glasgow) at Tae Kwon Do and yesterday I met one in Ikea!

There are loads of sports clubs and facilites here.

I love it so far. You'll be fine!

dibraggio Jul 19th 2010 4:28 pm

thanks for all the comments guys.

well it was confirmed in a meeting today that i will be going.

company will be filling out my i-129 petition, so hopefully that will go through ok, then will get my interview at us embassy.

can anyone tell me, what is the rough cost of renting a 3 bed furnished apartment? preferably serviced, but not too important.

how do you go about getting involved in the "ex-pat" scene?

Bomjeito Jul 19th 2010 4:50 pm

Howdy, I'm up the road from you in Findon.

We leave on the 25th.

From visiting there, downtown and perhaps the more amenities-driven apartment complexes may be a good place to live. We stayed near Town and Country (or City Centre) and even looked at a flat (lease) there - great, young, vibrant crowd.

http://www.citycentrehouston.com/res...-and-hotel.php

Yard House had 32 beers on tap!

Take this chance for an opportunity. There are a lot of great apartment complexes with high range of amenities as well - Along Eldridge ...for example.

3 bedrooms for a single guy? Well, okay - but 3 bedroom apartments are not as common. You may want to look then at a house, but then you lose your options for amenities. Leasing can be anywhere from $1000-1500 a month, if you want all single person-type amenities (gym, pool, spas). San Paloma has furnished apartments, for example. Very nice, gated, but no garage.

I'm sure your company may have someone already lined up to find you rental/leasing options - are you going indefinitely or short term?

If you need a contact for corporate apartments, I have one (these are generally furnished to your needs) that we used for a few months until we get into our house.

Your best bet - again - get yourself onto city-data.com and the Houston forum. The folks there are super friendly and helpful.

dibraggio Jul 19th 2010 4:57 pm

hi mate, i work in findon.

so you moving out there next month?

the idea behind the three bedrooms is it will be "my" place, but if folk from Findon come out, no point paying hotel fees etc for them.

meauxna Jul 19th 2010 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by dibraggio (Post 8672080)
my one chance to move and try something different,

Originally Posted by dibraggio (Post 8712824)
how do you go about getting involved in the "ex-pat" scene?

I guess that's different.
You could try the American scene, for a real difference. :)

Nutmegger Jul 19th 2010 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8713297)
I guess that's different.
You could try the American scene, for a real difference. :)

Beat me to it, Meauxna!

Why come all the way to Houston to look up Brits! Make the most of your time here by going native, the locals are very friendly!

meauxna Jul 19th 2010 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 8713349)
Beat me to it, Meauxna!

Why come all the way to Houston to look up Brits! Make the most of your time here by going native, the locals are very friendly!

Especially if one decides he'd like to stay.. ;)

Nutmegger Jul 19th 2010 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8713370)
Especially if one decides he'd like to stay.. ;)

Is this like in "Love Actually" when the girls in Wisconsin say just how friendly their roommate is? :D