British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   In Houston - looking for an international accountant? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/houston-looking-international-accountant-869875/)

HusbandOfABrit Dec 31st 2015 11:15 pm

In Houston - looking for an international accountant?

Hi. I am a US citizen. My wife is an English citizen. She's working here in Houston, Texas where we live - we met and got married last year. She's purusing her green card so she's not locked into her current employer.

We would like to find a local accountant, finance and/or tax professional that can assist us with questions about her current property and mortgage in England, her pensions, and other financial matters that will need to be addressed once she localizes here and makes the US her permanent residence.

Would any one be able to either recommend someone or point me in a direction that might help me locate someone like this? Key requirements would be:

1. Located in Houston - we would like to deal with someone face to face
2. Knowledgeable in English tax code
3. Knowledgeable in the area of expats and their finances.

Thanks in advance!

Robert

Owen778 Jan 1st 2016 6:59 pm

Re: In Houston - looking for an international accountant?

Welcome to BE!

I'd love to help, but the accountant we used in my first year here doesn't know anything about the British tax code. Since then, I've done our US taxes, and we've had no requirement to do UK taxes. You may struggle to find someone really knowledgeable about both codes in Houston.

I and others can answer some of your questions on US taxes for expats if you tell us more, but you will probably still need the services of a professional.

One key thing to note is that several British investment types are tax-free in the UK, but not excluded from US taxes. ISAs are the most obvious example. Unfortunately, if she has any of these, the best time to get rid of them would have been before becoming tax resident in the US.

Pulaski Jan 1st 2016 7:27 pm

As Owen said, many of the questions are commonly answered here, and the best advice is to sever most financial ties as they make for unnecessary complications.

For example, it would be best for most people, unless they envisage returning to the UK, or holding their real estate "for ever", to sell their home soon after leaving the UK, otherwise the house will attract capital gains tax in one or both countries, often much more tax that the "fair" reflection of the gain during the time it was NOT occupied as your home.

Generally pensions do not need ongoing tax advice as they are tax free, until drawn, in both the UK and the US. They may need to be disclosed under FBAR and FATCA, but their is no tax impact.

InTX Jan 4th 2016 8:04 pm

Hello! I have been reading this forum for awhile now as I am planning to go for an L1 visa through my employment either later this year or next year. For example, it would be best for most people, unless they envisage returning to the UK, or holding their real estate "for ever", to sell their home soon after leaving the UK, otherwise the house will attract capital gains tax in one or both countries, often much more tax that the "fair" reflection of the gain during the time it was NOT occupied as your home.This post caught my eye, as I am planning on leaving my property for rental purposes here in the UK. If I understand correctly, I would need to pay Capital Gains Tax on the amount above tax-free allowance ? Also, would I incur additional tax if I would decide to sell the property while living in the US? How much tax would I need to pay in the US for the same property? These may seem like silly questions, but I am only starting on the 'serious' reading :) Any advise is much appreciated.

Pulaski Jan 4th 2016 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by InTX (Post 11827975)
Hello! I have been reading this forum for awhile now as I am planning to go for an L1 visa through my employment either later this year or next year. For example, it would be best for most people, unless they envisage returning to the UK, or holding their real estate "for ever", to sell their home soon after leaving the UK, otherwise the house will attract capital gains tax in one or both countries, often much more tax that the "fair" reflection of the gain during the time it was NOT occupied as your home.

This post caught my eye, as I am planning on leaving my property for rental purposes here in the UK. If I understand correctly, I would need to pay Capital Gains Tax on the amount above tax-free allowance ? Also, would I incur additional tax if I would decide to sell the property while living in the US? How much tax would I need to pay in the US for the same property? These may seem like silly questions, but I am only starting on the 'serious' reading :) Any advise is much appreciated.

For starters PLEASE leave the [QUOTE] and [\QUOTE] (the \ is the other way around i.e. / ) tag around the post you quote, otherwise it is very difficult to work out what you quoted and what you asked. :)

You are confusing capital gains (profit when you sell) with income from renting the property (excess of rent over allowable expenses).

You will have a fairly complicated calculation to perform each year to reach net taxable income, including but not confined to, deductions for mortgage interest, insurance, and depreciation on the value of the building but not the land, separate calculations for depreciation on appliances, as well as the exchange rate. A competent tax accountant is pretty much essential to guide you through the US tax maze.

I think the UK now calculates capital gains tax on sales just 18 months after you move out. There is a separate US capital gains tax calculation, with different allowable deductions. Again, the services of an accountant are pretty much essential.

nun Jan 4th 2016 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by HusbandOfABrit (Post 11825286)
Hi. I am a US citizen. My wife is an English citizen. She's working here in Houston, Texas where we live - we met and got married last year. She's purusing her green card so she's not locked into her current employer.

We would like to find a local accountant, finance and/or tax professional that can assist us with questions about her current property and mortgage in England, her pensions, and other financial matters that will need to be addressed once she localizes here and makes the US her permanent residence.

Would any one be able to either recommend someone or point me in a direction that might help me locate someone like this? Key requirements would be:

1. Located in Houston - we would like to deal with someone face to face
2. Knowledgeable in English tax code
3. Knowledgeable in the area of expats and their finances.

Thanks in advance!

Robert

I think you'll find it almost impossible to find a local accountant that knows anything about UK taxes. Luckily if your spouse is resident in the US there will be no UK tax on pensions (other than UK Government ones)and no US tax due until income is taken. There will be UK tax due on any UK source income, like rent on the house, and also US tax due as US residents are taxed on their worldwide income. The tax treaty and HMRC and IRS code will allow you to avoid double taxation. One area of potential trouble is if your spouse owns any UK investment funds outside of a UK retirement plan.

Steve_ Jan 5th 2016 1:14 am

Who is that guy everyone recommends, is it this guy? US - UK Tax Preparation and Advice | BritishExpatsTax.Com I don't think so, I can't remember his URL.

Anyway the likelihood of finding anyone local is remote.

And I can tell you from personal experience - don't think you're going to walk into somewhere like PriceWaterhouseCoopers and do any better.

People with transnational tax experience are few and far between.

InTX Jan 6th 2016 12:33 pm

and \QUOTE (the \ is the other way around i.e. / ) tag around the post you quote, otherwise it is very difficult to work out what you quoted and what you asked. :) You are confusing capital gains (profit when you sell) with income from renting the property (excess of rent over allowable expenses). You will have a fairly complicated calculation to perform each year to reach net taxable income, including but not confined to, deductions for mortgage interest, insurance, and depreciation on the value of the building but not the land, separate calculations for depreciation on appliances, as well as the exchange rate. A competent tax accountant is pretty much essential to guide you through the US tax maze. I think the UK now calculates capital gains tax on sales just 18 months after you move out. There is a separate US capital gains tax calculation, with different allowable deductions. Again, the services of an accountant are pretty much essential.
Thanks! I will surely seek professional accountant assistance when the time comes. Meanwhile I will continue my readings :)