Houston

Old Aug 4th 2014, 9:36 am
Banned

Canveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Houston

Morning all,

Been lurking for a bit and this is my first post.

I am on the verge of securing a transfer to Houston and have had many of my questions answered by trawling through here.

We are a family with two children aged 4 and 15 months and are looking at Katy as we hear many good things about it. My potential new manager has also recommended the area.

My question is, if you were me, what questions would you be asking your company about the move? I still haven't worked out exactly what I would pay in tax, and whether or not my "tax free relocation living allowance" is just that.

So what would you be asking and what do you wish you knew before you moved to Houston

Thanks
Old Aug 4th 2014, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houston

Welcome to the forum Canveydave.

The first question that I would ask my employer would be: What visa will you be applying for? (This will address many follow-up questions, I.E. will my spouse be able to work, how long will it take, etc.)
Old Aug 4th 2014, 12:07 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you will be an L1 visa (company transfer)?

Try these:

Company Relocation Packages US : British Expat Wiki

Houston, TX : British Expat Wiki
Old Aug 4th 2014, 1:40 pm
Banned

Canveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond repute

I have asked about the visa in great depth. The company are a large mutlinational, based in the UK but with offices in 42 countries. They have traditionally moved UK citizens to the US on E2 treaty visa's.

I am a bit green when it comes to this sort of visa, my understanding was that the E2 was for people purchasing a business in the US, but apparently the E2 treaty allows the owners of a company to transfer over key members of staff.

It would mean my wife would be able to work, however I would think that she would not be in a rush to work!
Old Aug 4th 2014, 2:08 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canveydave
So what would you be asking and what do you wish you knew before you moved to Houston
<must resist the urge to reply.... >

But, seriously, before you even consider this, I would take a week to go and visit the place. Personally, I find Houston to be an unmitigated dump. Texas in general is boring (I appreciate this is greatly subjective), and they're into stuff that most Brits wouldn't dream of associating with (firearms, rodeo, country music etc). If you could live amongst the hicks down there, then you'll probably enjoy it. If you have an education, and dislike George W Bush and the GOP then you will probably hate it.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Aug 4th 2014 at 2:15 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 2:18 pm
Banned

I will definitely be doing a very solid reccy, my wife and I are not massive risk takers!

I get that it isn't for everyone, my question I guess is more about the logistics of making the move. What was tough in the first few week's etc
Old Aug 4th 2014, 2:48 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace

But, seriously, before you even consider this, I would take a week to go and visit the place. Personally, I find Houston to be an unmitigated dump. Texas in general is boring (I appreciate this is greatly subjective), and they're into stuff that most Brits wouldn't dream of associating with (firearms, rodeo, country music etc). If you could live amongst the hicks down there, then you'll probably enjoy it. If you have an education, and dislike George W Bush and the GOP then you will probably hate it.
Not to derail the thread, but you realize we have an openly gay female Democrat mayor here in Houston? Into her second term. I realize Houston just above Florida in terms of BE in jokes, but it is a touch stereotyped. I mean, after all, this isn't Mississippi or anything backwards like that!
Old Aug 4th 2014, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I didn't realise there was so many uneducated expats in Houston ...
Old Aug 4th 2014, 2:57 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Not to derail the thread, but you realize we have an openly gay female Democrat mayor here in Houston? Into her second term. I realize Houston just above Florida in terms of BE in jokes, but it is a touch stereotyped. I mean, after all, this isn't Mississippi or anything backwards like that!
Fair comment. I am of course being a trifle OTT in my generalisations about Houston. It's not as bad as the deep south, no where near. It's just got 'character' of its own, that may or may not appeal to expats.

FWIW - Florida is still way above Houston for me in terms of jokes

Edit: And even today, FL never disappoints. This time kids playing Russian Roulette. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ld-friend.html - the stupidity down there knows no bounds.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Aug 4th 2014 at 3:30 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 9:27 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i am not into firearms rodeo or country music and im STILL really liking the Texas area we moved to earlier this year. Sure its different from Ohio where i was also very happily living for 7 years - i think the common denominator is your own personal attitude - and hence why YOU are unhappy/disparaging of everywhere!

I didnt want to go to Dallas as i was happy where i was but i went with an open mind and its been GREAT!
Old Aug 4th 2014, 10:07 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go - helpful
Old Aug 4th 2014, 11:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Fair comment. I am of course being a trifle OTT in my generalisations about Houston. It's not as bad as the deep south, .....
Nooo! I always look to you as a source of impartial and objective advice, especially on the good and bad points of areas you have visited only briefly or never actually visited at all.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 5th 2014 at 1:16 am.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Where, when and how long did you live in a Houston, Hungryhorace?

Where, meaning what part of town?
Old Aug 5th 2014, 11:45 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It's not as bad as the deep south, no where near.

Even that is a terrible stereotype. Do you think that Atlanta and some backwater in GA (like my town) are exactly the same too?
Old Aug 5th 2014, 12:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Even that is a terrible stereotype. Do you think that Atlanta and some backwater in GA (like my town) are exactly the same too?
I believe Horace has visited Houston, at least once, briefly, and no doubt stayed in a fancy hotel, in a room on an upper floor with a view over the "unmitigated dump" that is Houston.

I am fairly sure that he has no personal experience of "the deep south". 100+ years ago he would have been called a carpetbagger.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 5th 2014 at 12:11 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.