Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Housing in the USA-building credit

Housing in the USA-building credit

Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

elizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Housing in the USA-building credit

Hi I was wondering if the USA has any rental websites like rightmove here in the UK that I can go on and start looking for properties? We have been away from the USA for 7 years now so I am assuming we wont have any credit history so buying a home out the gate is not an option, how long will we have to be in the USA before credit is able to start building? What is the best way to start building up credit? I know its normally by getting a credit card etc but if we have no credit we wont get one?

My husband is a USC I am British, when he left the USA he did have some medical bills that he never cleared off completely I am not sure how much they were for, will these show up on his credit when we do go to buy a home or even when we want to rent?

We are not leaving until next year early spring but I am a planner and just want to get started on plans etc and would be interested to see the average rental prices for Upstate New York.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:20 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing in the USA-building credit

Rent.com is one web site, there are others you can Google up fairly easily.

If you have a 20% down payment you might be able to buy from the start if you also have a job(s), and rates are still very low, so even if you're forced to pay a rate premium you might still be locking in a historically low rate.

If you have had an Amex card in the UK for at least 12 months you can use that to get Amex in the US to issue a card. I think it may be possible to do the same with a Capital One card, though I haven't heard of anyone doing that recently.

If you're going to buy a new car, or are open to the possibility, buying through International Autosource will get you a standard US finance deal with reporting of your payment history from day 1 (as you already have SSNs).

I think that everything drops off your credit history after seven years, so I don't think the old medical bills will be an issue, but on the other hand don't be entirely surprised if a debt collection agency pops up and tries to collect the balance.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 26th 2013 at 3:28 am.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

elizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.

My husbands previous medical bills what will happen do they show up on his credit report after being so long?
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:29 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elizabethsmum
Thank you.

My husbands previous medical bills what will happen do they show up on his credit report after being so long?
See edits to my post above.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

THANK YOU!
Originally Posted by Pulaski
See edits to my post above.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Leah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of light

I've been using Trulia and Craigslist to get an idea on prices.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

I used Realtor.com and you could also try MLS.com. I know you are not coming until next year, but sometimes these websites are not always up to date. I saw several properties recently when looking to rent that had already been let but were still on the websites.

Good luck with your move.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 1:14 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leah326
I've been using Trulia and Craigslist to get an idea on prices.
Yep, those are great. Also check out Zillow for rentals.
www.zillow.com that's how we found the house we are currently renting.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

Good friends of ours are moving back to NY in the fall. They have been in the UK for the past 2 years but prior to this had been living in NY for 6 years and owned a small studio apartment which they sold as they thought the move back to the UK would be permanent. (Both UKC)

They came over to visit in June and also to start the house hunting process, they have the 20% deposit but after speaking to a few mortgage brokers they have been told they will need 40% down. Something to do with the fact they have been out of the US for 2 years and that they will be here on a visa.

http://www.zillow.com/ is a good site to look at.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 1:27 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Yep, those are great. Also check out Zillow for rentals.
www.zillow.com that's how we found the house we are currently renting.
I like the idea if Zillow, but the "value" of my house is up and down like a bride's nightie so not sure how reliable this is.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 1:32 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I like the idea if Zillow, but the "value" of my house is up and down like a bride's nightie so not sure how reliable this is.
Yep for house value I totally agree, it's way off. It was handy to look for rentals though.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 1:48 pm

Agreed. The value is often unreliable, though IME seems fairly good when looking at a house a homogeneous subdivision, but the house I bought ten years ago is in a very mixed development, with some houses almost 40 years old, but mine is less than half that. Most houses are ranches, but mine is two story, most are on an acre, but mine is on an acre and a half. Some are all brick, mine is all siding, most are on a straight and ridiculously fast spine road, mine is at the end of a cul-de-sac. All things considered, it is unrealistic to expect a computer algorithm to be able to calculate a price for that house.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

Another site I like is http://blockshopper.com/ to look at previous sales and prices. The site is slow at updating recent sales but gives a good indication of past sales and prices if you know the area well.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elizabethsmum
Thank you.

By federal law everyone is entitled to a free credit report from each of the 3 agencies annually. Why not take a look?

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp
Old Jul 26th 2013, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

My Realtor friend says the Zestimates are rubbish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.