Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Housing Madness

Housing Madness

Old Sep 21st 2007, 12:45 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing Madness

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
3: What the f**k do the towns spent this property tax on? although at least they clear our garbage every week in the USA, whereas it's like living in the 70's in England, with a collection every two weeks.
Half our property tax goes on schools, and half of that goes on the school buses!!

Our bins are emptied once a week. It's subsidised. A bit, not much. We pay $2.40 for each bin emptied in the form of a pre-paid sticker on each bin, and the same charge applies to each lawn & leaf bag we put out. However, all recycling is free.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 1:24 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

3: What the f**k do the towns spent this property tax on?
You should have noticed by now that in NJ each little town of 1,000 people has its own police and fire department and they are
(a) completely separate jurisdictional entities from the PDs and FDs of the little towns of similar size three miles up the road.
(b) often overmanned and overequipped. Example: in the last six months I've seen the Verona first responders in action in our street twice (once for a kitchen fire opposite, and then when next door's teenage son set their garage on fire having a crafty ciggie) and both times they have filled the entire street with (no exaggeration) three fire engines, a ladder truck, two ambulances, one vehicle marked "heavy rescue squad", and three police cars.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 1:48 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hello...how are you?
I might have to go into hospital for a morphine drip, but my hatred of hospitals is pretty strong. I think a stone fragment is moving and I'm thanking god I don't have a willy for it to be caught in. Thanks everyone for your thoughts, will respond when I am more stable. Just felt compelled for some reason to mention the standard v itemised deductions, I got stung by that my first year outta college, will explain later for a laugh.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Just under two thirds of our property tax goes on education, we currently pay $3.80 for every $100 of the assessed valuation. Fortunately, at the moment the assessed value of our property is nowhere near the actual market value.

We do, however, get our bins emptied every week and recycling, garden waste and large household trash collected fortnightly for no extra charge.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 1:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I might have to go into hospital for a morphine drip, but my hatred of hospitals is pretty strong. I think a stone fragment is moving and I'm thanking god I don't have a willy for it to be caught in. Thanks everyone for your thoughts, will respond when I am more stable. Just felt compelled for some reason to mention the standard v itemised deductions, I got stung by that my first year outta college, will explain later for a laugh.
I'll keep my fingers crossed you won't have to make another trip to the hospital. Now take it easy and rest.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 12:52 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
yes i like the bins emptied twice a week asp as it's so hot and the bins get smelly. where our house is in the uk the bins are emptied each week, not sure which areas they are emptied every fortnight?

We don't have a pick up...we have to take our rubbish to the dump....
Old Sep 21st 2007, 12:57 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
You should have noticed by now that in NJ each little town of 1,000 people has its own police and fire department and they are
(a) completely separate jurisdictional entities from the PDs and FDs of the little towns of similar size three miles up the road.
(b) often overmanned and overequipped. Example: in the last six months I've seen the Verona first responders in action in our street twice (once for a kitchen fire opposite, and then when next door's teenage son set their garage on fire having a crafty ciggie) and both times they have filled the entire street with (no exaggeration) three fire engines, a ladder truck, two ambulances, one vehicle marked "heavy rescue squad", and three police cars.
They do the same here...but I must say if you call 911 the cops are here in under a min with a bag of trick for heart attacks...it was just amazing..they came from all ways...next the fire trunks then the ambulance....
Old Sep 21st 2007, 1:14 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Oooh. You have my sympathies. Wifey had kidney stones - she was in AGONY. And now she's pretty much immune to anything other than enough morphine to stun an elephant and her pain tolerence is so high, she could probably pop out children like shucking peas.

Feel better.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 1:17 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

well it's not gone to the dogs yet in our part of the uk however i had heard of the fortnightly bin collection.
Our council tax went up YEAR after YEAR above the rate of inflation and then they cut the bin emptying from every week to a fortnight. I thought: Why the hell are we paying more than almost any other council in Britain and getting half the service?

Mind you, our police in Winchester drove around in BMWs. I thought: What the hell is wrong with a good old Vauxhall Vectra??!?!?!

At least cops in America drive domestic.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 1:25 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

yes i like the bins emptied twice a week asp as it's so hot and the bins get smelly. where our house is in the uk the bins are emptied each week, not sure which areas they are emptied every fortnight?
They only collect every 2 weeks here where I am (Stirling Council) - regular bins alternate with garden/cardboard - and the little recycle box (paper, glass, cans) is collected every week. Can't say the fortnightly collection has been a problem for me. I only fill a kitchen gardbage bag every week or two, didn't even carry the bin down the 15 steps to the roadside today as it only had one bag in it. Of course, I'm single but it's mostly because I compost and recycle as much as possible.

There's even been talk in the UK of charging by weight (not sure how - maybe the lorry would have a weighing scale?), but they're concerned it would encourage more flytipping (which is already bad enough).

In NC, I had kerbside rubbish, kerbside garden waste, kerbside recycle and kerbside solid waste (wood, household items, anything) carried off every week. Was very convenient but seemed to encourage profligate waste. I swear my next door neighbour had enough crap on his front yard to fill a house every few weeks, it was just bizarre. His house must have been based on the Tardis.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 1:33 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Our council tax went up YEAR after YEAR above the rate of inflation and then they cut the bin emptying from every week to a fortnight. I thought: Why the hell are we paying more than almost any other council in Britain and getting half the service?
Perhaps you shouldn’t judge the service you get purely on the basis of rubbish collection. After all, council tax generally also pays for police, fire, recycling, schools, leisure centres, park and ride schemes, parks and open spaces, street cleaning, subsidising of public transport, tourism, museums, social housing grants, housing and council tax benefits, environmental health and food safety in pubs, restaurants and shops, planning services, support for voluntary groups, meals on wheels, facilities for young people, adapting homes for disabled people, play centres for children, cctv installation, sports facilities, issuing taxi licences, flood defences etc. Was any of that any of that in your area area better or worse than elsewhere?
Old Sep 21st 2007, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by krizzy
We don't have a pick up...we have to take our rubbish to the dump....
where, in the US?
Old Sep 21st 2007, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elfman
Perhaps you shouldn’t judge the service you get purely on the basis of rubbish collection. After all, council tax generally also pays for police, fire, recycling, schools, leisure centres, park and ride schemes, parks and open spaces, street cleaning, subsidising of public transport, tourism, museums, social housing grants, housing and council tax benefits, environmental health and food safety in pubs, restaurants and shops, planning services, support for voluntary groups, meals on wheels, facilities for young people, adapting homes for disabled people, play centres for children, cctv installation, sports facilities, issuing taxi licences, flood defences etc. Was any of that any of that in your area area better or worse than elsewhere?
it is a joke when you list all the council tax has to cover!

i would pay extra for my bins to be emptied weekly if that was the case as we have to in our area for the second collection.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 1:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I reckon it's because there's too many households in the city/town to do both in one week so that's why regular trash and recyclables are collected on alternate weeks.

Here in Durham, NC, both regular and recyclable trash is picked up on the same day.
It's not a bit town....and it's a pay per chuck rubbish on top of the tax, a couple of bucks for a blue rubbish bag you get through the town, what doesn't fit in won't get picked up.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 1:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

where, in the US?
quite a lot of the US is like that...most of maine unless you pay private contractors in the cities...and then only in the larger cities..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.