Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Housing Madness

Housing Madness

Old Sep 21st 2007, 2:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing Madness

Our trash is collected weekly...we buy stickers to put on the trash by weight...the heavier it is the more stickers you put on. It's a good service they'll take anything apart from tradesman's waste. I wish it was collected twice a week in the hot months. I make sure everything is sealed in plastic bags before I put trash into the black bin bag and every time I open the bin I spray it with anti-bacterial spray.

Recycling is collected every two weeks.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 2:05 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
where, in the US?
Yes.. on Cape Cod...

We have pick up in our place in FL...twice a week for rubbish...once for recycle....once for garden...
Old Sep 21st 2007, 2:27 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
quite a lot of the US is like that...most of maine unless you pay private contractors in the cities...and then only in the larger cities..
wow i never heard of that, taking your own trash to the dump. well we are very priveledged here then, mind you we pay privately for the second collection and they take anything and everything...they are excellent.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 2:29 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea how often our trash is collected or on what day of the week
Must look into it............. or not.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 3:44 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
I have no idea how often our trash is collected or on what day of the week
Must look into it............. or not.
If nobody collects the trash, the pile just keeps getting bigger and bigger... until you create an entire island.

Then call it Staten Island, build a couple of bridges and continue dumping there.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 3:47 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Our trash collection is paid for by our property taxes and trash gets collected twice a week, recycling once a week (glass and plastic alternate with paper and cardboard so each section is collected once a fortnight) and garden refuse once a week between march and november.

Also, the dump is a great place to visit. If you dump anything to do with building materials (lumber, plasterboard) you are charged by weight. Garden, electronics, batteries, oil are taken for free. You have have electrical appliances collected from your home if you call ahead. You aren't charged and are allowed a set number of these collections per year (don't know how many). However, with the dump you can also buy recycled lumber and building supplies, mulch and compost. they sort everything from windows to fencing posts, and make their own compost and mulch from the garden waste dumped. You can buy whatever you want/need. There is a guy who helps you unload your stuff too. This is nothing like the dump we used to go to in the UK.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 3:50 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben
Our trash collection is paid for by our property taxes and trash gets collected twice a week, recycling once a week (glass and plastic alternate with paper and cardboard so each section is collected once a fortnight) and garden refuse once a week between march and november.

Also, the dump is a great place to visit. If you dump anything to do with building materials (lumber, plasterboard) you are charged by weight. Garden, electronics, batteries, oil are taken for free. You have have electrical appliances collected from your home if you call ahead. You aren't charged and are allowed a set number of these collections per year (don't know how many). However, with the dump you can also buy recycled lumber and building supplies, mulch and compost. they sort everything from windows to fencing posts, and make their own compost and mulch from the garden waste dumped. You can buy whatever you want/need. There is a guy who helps you unload your stuff too. This is nothing like the dump we used to go to in the UK.

In Winchester we had a great recycling centre - you could take your stuff there and buy other stuff people left - because Winchester is a rich town, there was some pretty good furtniture etc. to be bought for a couple of quid. Plus they got rid of garden waste etc. for free.

Now they have an Emmaus there, so homeless people fix up discarded furniture and tools and sell them.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 3:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
In Winchester we had a great recycling centre - you could take your stuff there and buy other stuff people left - because Winchester is a rich town, there was some pretty good furtniture etc. to be bought for a couple of quid. Plus they got rid of garden waste etc. for free.

Now they have an Emmaus there, so homeless people fix up discarded furniture and tools and sell them.
same in guildford, great recycling centre with peeps there to help you with your stuff.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 3:56 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Housing Madness

Originally Posted by elfman

(b) often overmanned and overequipped. Example: in the last six months I've seen the Verona first responders in action in our street twice (once for a kitchen fire opposite, and then when next door's teenage son set their garage on fire having a crafty ciggie) and both times they have filled the entire street with (no exaggeration) three fire engines, a ladder truck, two ambulances, one vehicle marked "heavy rescue squad", and three police cars.
Hh ha ha! That's what happened at our house one night when I thought I could smell smoke and thought our air-conditioner was on fire in the basement, but didn't dare go downstairs in the dark to check. We had the same no. of emergency crew vehicles arriving outside our house and a dozen firemen wandering around inside the house, checking every room (including the attic).

They concluded that there was no fire......then one of them said that he thought he could smell a skunk. Well, I'd never smelt a skunk before as of course there aren't any in the UK or Singapore - well it smellls like burning rubber tyres to me. Unfortunately the fire crew wouldn't go away....they stood on my front lawn chatting "just to ensure that there wouldn't be a fire" and although it had gone midnight and we had to be up early the next morning to go on holiday, one of them told me that they intended to stay for at least one hour!

Apparently they need to be present at an incident for an hour for the trainees to get their sufficient qualifying hours in......

(My poor husband was on a late night train home from working in NYC and was astonished to see all the fire engines and firemen at our house LOL and called me a few choice names! )

It turned out that a skunk was startled when our dog went out into the back garden and sprayed on the aircon condenser, bringing the aroma all through the house! The smell was still lingering when we arrived home a fortnight later!
Old Sep 21st 2007, 4:42 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

You get used to the smell of skunk....to me they sometime smell like a really bad BBQ...
The ones around my house a few years ago were tame...you just had to watch out for the babies...
Old Sep 21st 2007, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by krizzy
You get used to the smell of skunk....to me they sometime smell like a really bad BBQ...
The ones around my house a few years ago were tame...you just had to watch out for the babies...
lucy my kitty got sprayed once and we couldn't get rid of the smell no matter how many times i bathed her
Old Sep 21st 2007, 4:58 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

It made us all feel really ill the first time we smelt it...we were in Montana and the car ahead of us hit one....we could not get the AC off in time...

Never wanted to smell that again....then moving here we have shunks all around us...in summer the cops shot them to cut down on rabies...so Sunday mornings the smell can be a bit high...so it becomes a smell you get used too...
Old Sep 21st 2007, 5:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by krizzy
It made us all feel really ill the first time we smelt it...we were in Montana and the car ahead of us hit one....we could not get the AC off in time...

Never wanted to smell that again....then moving here we have shunks all around us...in summer the cops shot them to cut down on rabies...so Sunday mornings the smell can be a bit high...so it becomes a smell you get used too...
we have a place out in the hill country here and get that smell all the time but not here in the city thank goodness, well not in our area anyway.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 5:01 pm
Militant Ginger

There's a skunk that walks around our house. OY what a stink.

I'd never experienced it before.

We'd just moved into the house. While fitting the carpet, we saw all these red stains in the wood and saw marks. I convinced myself that some serial killer had sawed up a dead body on the floor.

That night, I woke up and that smell hit me POW. I'd never smelt anything like it - and I remember reading The Amityville Horror about these strange smells in the haunted house.

THEN strange lights flickered on and off in the sitting room.

I burrowed under the covers all night long, terrified.

Next day, I found out:

1: The stain and saw marks were from somebody laying and varnishing the floor.

2: The smell was from the skunk.

3: The strange lights were from my wife's stereo (which I'd never seen before) in it's 'auto demo' mode.

<<image not suitable for BE>>

Last edited by NC Penguin; Sep 22nd 2007 at 12:59 am. Reason: Removed per Rule 2
Old Sep 21st 2007, 5:09 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

I've always wanted an old Victorian house...but all the Hunting shows put me off...we have lived with a ghost or two before...(we have a walk through one here now)...but for the most part they seem a bit unfriendly in the USA for some reason...

Our ghost here...he walks through the house sometimes...I don't think he even knows the house is here...he has made a few people jump now...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.