British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Housing Bubble! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/housing-bubble-349617/)

AdobePinon Jan 21st 2006 2:33 am

Housing Bubble!

What housing bubble?

Sante Fe median house price now at $470,000, up from $379,500 one year ago. Santa Fe's newly increased $9.50 minimum wage is still not going to buy you many two by fours. :eek:

(Guess I won't be trading houses any time soon)

Pimpbot Jan 21st 2006 3:34 am

Re: Housing Bubble!

I know they are talking about the housing bubble levelling off rather than bursting here. Which is great, as be warned Fatbrit, I maybe moving to Tempe now in April.

fatbrit Jan 21st 2006 4:04 am

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
I know they are talking about the housing bubble levelling off rather than bursting here. Which is great, as be warned Fatbrit, I maybe moving to Tempe now in April.

You can enjoy the fun of the 101 between US 60 and the 202, then, if you're working in N. Scottsdale. Not as bad as the Broadway Curve where the I 10 meets US 60 for those who choose to work downtown, though!

House prices have levelled nicely here without collapsing. The gains of the last 3 or 4 months of the end of the silly season have vanished, but they were in the ridiculous anyway.

Pimpbot Jan 21st 2006 4:21 am

I do the 101 from Thomas to Raintree in the morning now, but take Hayden home. I'd be just off the 60 on McKlintock close to the Tempe lakes.

fatbrit Jan 21st 2006 4:25 am

I do the 101 from Thomas to Raintree in the morning now, but take Hayden home. I'd be just off the 60 on McKlintock close to the Tempe lakes.

In "The Lakes"? It's very snobby and weird in there you know? Hear some terrible stories!

P.S. You seen the cameras on the 101 yet? Have they turned them on? Be like back in Blighty if they keep putting these freakin' cameras up!

AdobePinon Jan 21st 2006 4:31 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Be like back in Blighty if they keep putting these freakin' cameras up!

Long way to go yet. Talked to one guy last month who got nine points in one day, and one who got six.

So, which one of you two bought the Bond's Aston Martin?

Pimpbot Jan 21st 2006 4:34 am

The cameras are up and running as of sunday. The only thing I don't like about them, is the fact that there are no markings on the road like the freeway cameras in the UK. They do have fairly big warning signs though as you lead into them.

Not actually in the Lakes. McClintock and Watson would be the closest main cross streets. Not far from Chapman chevy. No HOA either, sweet!

Pimpbot Jan 21st 2006 4:35 am

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Long way to go yet. Talked to one guy last month who got nine points in one day, and one who got six.

Don't get me started on the Barrett Jackson show. I've been delayed the last two days coming home due to all the extra traffic. Then next week the FBR Open golf will slow me down some more. :(

fatbrit Jan 21st 2006 1:40 pm

Not actually in the Lakes. McClintock and Watson would be the closest main cross streets. Not far from Chapman chevy. No HOA either, sweet!

Nice mature (for the Valley!) area with the better, mainly block built 1970s homes. Pretty similar to where you are now I would think. Actually, I always liked the look of south Scottsdale -- it seems to have a character, especially as you get close to the downtown. I hate soulless new subdivisions. Once looked at some properties close to the creek between McDowell and Thomas. What's wrong with it?

Pimpbot Jan 21st 2006 3:50 pm

Nothing really, I love where we are now, which is pretty close to old town Scottsdale. But we're getting a great deal if we take it on the Tempe house which is bigger and has more room for changes, which considering my wife works for a custom home builder, we get great rates if we want to add a pool and bbq area etc etc.

Rockgurl Jan 21st 2006 4:03 pm

Awww....all that talk of McDowell and Thomas is making me miss Phoenix! :(

fatbrit Jan 21st 2006 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
Awww....all that talk of McDowell and Thomas is making me miss Phoenix! :(

Hey! There was a horrible gray and windy day this week. Actually had to remove the mothballs from the jacket I bought years ago when we were stoopid enough to go to Vegas our first New Year's expecting it to be no colder than Phoenix -- so I only took t-shirts.

Pimpbot Jan 21st 2006 4:39 pm

Hey! There was a horrible gray and windy day this week. Actually had to remove the mothballs from the jacket I bought years ago when we were stoopid enough to go to Vegas our first New Year's expecting it to be no colder than Phoenix -- so I only took t-shirts.

Ha ha! we have friends in Vegas and they love to brag about everything!, which is always amusing when they mention the weather, which is always a little colder than us. Really pisses them off. It could be 85 degrees when we arrive, but I'll make a comment about how it's a little chilly with the breeze and that we've been at 90 all week. :D

Partystar Jan 21st 2006 5:57 pm

In "The Lakes"? It's very snobby and weird in there you know? Hear some terrible stories!

P.S. You seen the cameras on the 101 yet? Have they turned them on? Be like back in Blighty if they keep putting these freakin' cameras up!

I saw them a couple of days ago, it was weird, I had to explain to an American friend how they worked, like I was an expert!!! She said, did you hear that you could get a separate ticket on each one? I said, yes, that's how they all work, it's not fine 1, get 2 free for speeding tickets!!!

Partystar Jan 21st 2006 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon

None of them, I bought it!

On another note - I got offered a job with them (Aston Martin) a few years back, it was absolutely terrible money, so I turned it down obviously! I also got offered a job with Benetton (or was it McLaren) F1 racing & that was sh*t money too.