Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Household expenses WA??

Household expenses WA??

Old Aug 10th 2011, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

deedub777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Household expenses WA??

Hello all (been monitoring threads here for sometime but this is my first post),

I am in a similar situation (considering a move to the Greater Seattle area) and need a little information, well a lot of information really!

I'm trying to do a comparison on salary, living costs, taxes, utilility, etc. etc. compared to the UK so in the chance I get the job offer, I can equate the salary into 'real money'.

I have a long list of incomings and outgoings here in the UK but am unsure if the list transfers or not?

Is there a standard calculator or a list of everything that needs to be considered or an existing thread I can tap into rather than starting my own?

Thanks in advance folks
Old Aug 10th 2011, 3:34 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deedub777
Is there a standard calculator or a list of everything that needs to be considered or an existing thread I can tap into rather than starting my own?
If you're lucky, a moderator will split this thread and it'll be all yours... since the thread you've posted in is almost 10 months old.

Ian
Old Aug 10th 2011, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

I responded to a similar question on City Data which has a great Seattle forum with lots of friendly and helpful people;

http://www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...l#post20210934

We moved out here last year and have almost completed a whole year so I should have a whole year of data soon. We are a family of 6 though, so things soon add up for us. Just the UK flights cost us over $9000 this summer!

Cheers
Addy

Hello all (been monitoring threads here for sometime but this is my first post),

I am in a similar situation (considering a move to the Greater Seattle area) and need a little information, well a lot of information really!

I'm trying to do a comparison on salary, living costs, taxes, utilility, etc. etc. compared to the UK so in the chance I get the job offer, I can equate the salary into 'real money'.

I have a long list of incomings and outgoings here in the UK but am unsure if the list transfers or not?

Thanks in advance folks
Old Aug 15th 2011, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

fashionista will become famous soon enoughfashionista will become famous soon enough

Thanks in advance folks
In terms of a 'real money' comparison, it really depends what you're used to. For example, we've managed to maintain the same standard of living we had in London despite dropping to only 1 salary. The size of your family (if you have one), the size of your home and where you decide to live will all affect your cost of living.

If you're renting - there's no council tax, but if you buy, there is an annual property tax which can be pretty steep. There is a fee for garbage collection and most apartment buildings will charge you a monthly fee for a parking space. There is an annual car tab fee which is currently about $80, but no other annual vehicle taxes. Obviously no tv licence, but you will probably be paying for some kind of cable / satellite tv service. Healthcare costs will depend on your employers plan. You will however have to put down a fair bit of cash in deposits so it's worth factoring that into your package.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

deedub777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Addy and Fashionista,

Thanks for the info. With your help and some info I got from another friend about income tax, etc. I think I have enough to get a grasp of things,

Thanks again.