Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Household Container transport for Move to US

Household Container transport for Move to US

Old Jan 17th 2021, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Household Container transport for Move to US

Originally Posted by tht
Things with a “transformer” on the power line yes.. many even let you juts swap out the plug part like a smaller kettle cable... for a non laptop PC (tower) some older ones have a little switch on the PSU, less of an issue UK to here, but I remember getting 3 US PC’s in the mail for a new office setup in London from the US... plugged in the first “pop”, thought it was just broken.. plugged in the 2nd “pop”... luckily I thought to google for the 3rd and flipped the switch to save it...
And now tower PCs are also universal.
Old Jan 17th 2021, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point

We shipped a container back from the US end of 2019 and we are now shipping back again next month.
it cost us about $2500 from the US. On the way back they want $5000 and that includes us packing - 2hrs either side.

We are using a shared container to go back for around $5k, but that includes a full packing and unpacking service. I will be in the US, so a little easier for my wife.

TV’s as others have mentioned should be fine in the US, most are dual voltage. The LG we bought in the US is 110 only !
The usual rule is that something with an element might not be dual, but we have bought transformers from Amazon for the valuable stuff we want to keep.
Old Jan 17th 2021, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wh431
I too am moving from Guildford area, will miss the beautiful countryside around here.
Been in the US 20 years now and missing the UK countryside more and more...... Being in SoCal you hardly see the color green !
Old Jan 17th 2021, 6:29 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Been in the US 20 years now and missing the UK countryside more and more...... Being in SoCal you hardly see the color green !
But that depends on where you make your home in the US. When I moved to NYC I was amazed by how beautiful the scenery was with just a short drive from the city center.
Old Jan 17th 2021, 6:34 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
But that depends on where you make your home in the US. When I moved to NYC I was amazed by how beautiful the scenery was with just a short drive from the city center.
The US has pretty much every thing from Arctic to dessert and everything between. 10 mins drive from my CT home and you are in farmland and woods. And up at my lake house it’s all drystone walls, farms (with Trump signs) woods, and state parks and a large nature reserve around the lake.

Last edited by tht; Jan 17th 2021 at 6:36 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

How are you using your 230 v UK TV in the US, where voltage is 120 V?

i assume you had to buy some kind of electricity converter for all UK electronic items.
I seriously suspect converters like that would invalidate home insurance policies
Old Jan 19th 2021, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
I seriously suspect converters like that would invalidate home insurance policies
Most TV’s will be dual voltage. It’s like my PC monitors bought at Best Buy happily working in UK. Just a new lead from the power supply
Old Jan 19th 2021, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Wh431 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I ve never been to socal but ve been to LA a few times and there, everything looked burnt and brown. I was asking myself what’s the beauty and charm in it?

Whereas around here, in southern England, the landscape is very colourful and pleasant in the spring and summer.

I love gardening and there are plenty of NGS open gardens and other show gardens in all corners of the UK. Wonder how’z the gardening culture in the US...
Old Jan 19th 2021, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
The whole point is you don't need a voltage converter for almost all electronics these days.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
The whole point is you don't need a voltage converter for almost all electronics these days.
Got it, but if it was a possibility it might be good to check with insurance company.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 7:34 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I ve never been to socal but ve been to LA a few times and there, everything looked burnt and brown. I was asking myself what’s the beauty and charm in it?

Whereas around here, in southern England, the landscape is very colourful and pleasant in the spring and summer.

I love gardening and there are plenty of NGS open gardens and other show gardens in all corners of the UK. Wonder how’z the gardening culture in the US...
amazing what some rain can do... to prevent fires and make plants grow...

everything in CT is green, until it snows and then it’s white and I much prefer a cold / snow filled winter than a damp UK one. Plenty of people have raised beds etc here to grow veg. And some people have amazing gardens. If you want to live of the land it is a lot more possible here, there are still places homestead and and hunt and fish to provide for themselves...
Old Jan 19th 2021, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Wh431 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tht
amazing what some rain can do... to prevent fires and make plants grow...

everything in CT is green, until it snows and then it’s white and I much prefer a cold / snow filled winter than a damp UK one. Plenty of people have raised beds etc here to grow veg. And some people have amazing gardens. If you want to live of the land it is a lot more possible here, there are still places homestead and and hunt and fish to provide for themselves...
I kind of agree that in some ways its more interesting to ve 4 proper and distinct seasons (compared to the misty and gray days here in the UK) but then in the UK, the lack of long standing frost and subzero temperatures allow one to grow a greater variety of plants.

As for the gardening, i get the impression that it isnt a mainstream hobby in the US compared to the UK. I ve been house hunting (in Chicago) lately and rarely saw house with proper gardens/yards. Also in Supermarkets, there is much less variety of plants on sale.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 8:28 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I kind of agree that in some ways its more interesting to ve 4 proper and distinct seasons (compared to the misty and gray days here in the UK) but then in the UK, the lack of long standing frost and subzero temperatures allow one to grow a greater variety of plants.

As for the gardening, i get the impression that it isnt a mainstream hobby in the US compared to the UK. I ve been house hunting (in Chicago) lately and rarely saw house with proper gardens/yards. Also in Supermarkets, there is much less variety of plants on sale.
Wrong! People love their gardens just as much as the folks in the UK -- and frequently have a lot more space with which to work. There are so many wonderful garden centers, either at home improvement stores or stand-alone, that buying plants at the supermarket isn't the best idea. (My favorite hibiscus, purchased in the sale yard at Lowe's two years ago, is on its winter vacation indoors, and today has three massive blooms.) Sounds as if you have been looking at the more urban residential areas.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 8:28 pm
tht

well that will be specific to where you are looking... in cities, just like in UK cities people have less garden space.. that said even when I lived in NYC in the East village there was a community garden in the end of then block. And there is a new trend of city gardens here (commercial). When I moved to Williamsburg in Brooklyn I had such a productive garden on the roof we had to give away harvest. Mainly cucumbers, squash, tomatoes, greens and herbs. Lack of pests, and pretty much full sun up there made it ideal for growing. I also think outside the cities and suburbs people here probably have more land than the UK. Aside from community gardens the thing I have not seen here which the UK had is allotments.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 8:35 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Missouri, so not far from Chicago, and I think the challenge is the climate more than anything else. Even with sprinklers the very hot summers coupled with the harsh winters make it very hard to grow anything that resembles the beauty of many British gardens. Plant choices are very restricted, and even then they are not always the prettiest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.