Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

House Sold / Exchange Rate!

House Sold / Exchange Rate!

Old Jul 23rd 2005, 2:56 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House Sold / Exchange Rate!

Originally Posted by franc111s
.....My personal belief is the exchange will get back to 1.9 - 2.0 again in the next few years (I base this on the US debt, pension problems and slowing growth (the muddle through econonmy). ....
I agree that the USD may weaken against some hypothetical "average" currency, but the British economic outlook is at least as bleak as for the US - and my guess is that the average mid-rang for the past ten years is probably good for at least another ten years into the future i.e. around $1.55/£1 +/- 10¢
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MiniBrit
Wow, after reading this post I phoned xe.com too. I asked them what their rate would be today, they quoted me $1.73 whereas my bank quoted me $1.67, looks like xe.com is the way to go!!!

Well done ExPats!! what would I do without you??
Yep, thank God for ExPats and XE!! I would never have known about them if I hadn't seen posts on here. Their rates are so much better and the future contract thing is pretty good too if you want to lock it in... I certainly can't commit to that right now, but once the missives are completed and I know for sure that their mortgage is in place etc then I may do it a little closer to the time.. if I had the 10% deposit I would do it now!!
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MiniBrit
Wow, after reading this post I phoned xe.com too. I asked them what their rate would be today, they quoted me $1.73 whereas my bank quoted me $1.67, looks like xe.com is the way to go!!!

Well done ExPats!! what would I do without you??
Did you speak to the proper foreign exchange folks at the bank though and not the local branch? If you are moving a lot of money, you can often get a better rate with the bank - but DO NOT under any circumstances take the advice of your local branch, they often have no clue about big transfers a lot of the time and quote you the tourist rate.

As others have said, I'm inclined to think the rate will eventually go to around 1.55 again, but how long that will take depends on a lot of factors in an increasingly uncertain world, I think a conclusion/exit stratgey to Dubbyas Iraq crusade would be a step in the right direction (or wrong direction, for exchange rate purposes!)
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

MiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Did you speak to the proper foreign exchange folks at the bank though and not the local branch?
erm...... no

very good point! I will speak to them, thank you!!!

MB