Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

House rental SF Bay area

House rental SF Bay area

Old Mar 6th 2010, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House rental SF Bay area

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
Santa Cruz was one of the places that some people I know over there recommended; Another one was Boulder Creek (off Hwy 17 between Los Gatos and SC); you can take an alternative route into Mountain View if/when 17 is blocked (again).
I live in Santa Cruz and have been working in Mountain View for the last 5 years - for me it is exactly 40 miles door-to-door and takes about 45 minutes in non-commute hours.

Believe me, Hwy 17 is *not* the problem - sure there are occasional delays and a couple of times a year a really bad accident will close the road at a time that is inconvenient, but by far the worst part of the drive is Hwy 85 - especially coming home at night the section between 101 and 280 is particularly bad.

In spite of that I think that it still beats living over in the valley.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
Santa Cruz was one of the places that some people I know over there recommended; Another one was Boulder Creek (off Hwy 17 between Los Gatos and SC); you can take an alternative route into Mountain View if/when 17 is blocked (again).
Not sure if I am thinking about the right area but isn't that a bit rural? We looked at living in the hills above Los Gatos off the 17, but the journey getting there on a nice day put us off. If this is the place I am thinking of, everytime I go by I think of Deliverance.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

You'll get a lot more for your money, assuming you don't mind commuting, if you try Morgan Hill. There's a lot more space there and they would likely be more pet friendly. They widened the 101 so the commute isn't as bad as it used to be.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Vicky88
Not sure if I am thinking about the right area but isn't that a bit rural? We looked at living in the hills above Los Gatos off the 17, but the journey getting there on a nice day put us off. If this is the place I am thinking of, everytime I go by I think of Deliverance.
Well, I am a country bumpkin at heart . Yes, it's a little rural if you count living under trees near a Golf course rural. Bit more villagey, plus the houses don't seem to be built as close together as the reasonably affordable ones are in the rest of the valley. Reminded me a little too much of the UK, that.

Originally Posted by Jscl
You'll get a lot more for your money, assuming you don't mind commuting, if you try Morgan Hill. There's a lot more space there and they would likely be more pet friendly. They widened the 101 so the commute isn't as bad as it used to be.
I might look into that - not too keen on a 101 all the way commute but it's worth considering. TBH I'd probably look at Santa Cruz if I was going that far out, but then again I love leaving close to the sea (which is why we also looked at Half Moon Bay).

Last edited by TimNiceBut; Mar 7th 2010 at 7:57 am.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

chrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nice

Well I agree with this - we have been living in Mountain View for the past 18 months and looking for a place so we can bring our German Shepherd over here, traffic issues mean that hubby not to keen to communte, we just cant find a reasonabley priced rental with a garden. As it happens we are returning soon so no longer an issue, but we found that every time we looked at a 'pet friendly' place - we mentioned dog and instantly it seemed that someone else had expressed an interest and were moving in!! So good luck with your search - I agree its a tough one in this area!!!
Old Mar 10th 2010, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

I think we've pretty much postponed our ideas of getting a cat or two until we can afford to buy a house. Cats are usually a little easier to officially get past a landlord but it's still a lot of hassle by the looks of it.