Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

House Exchange

House Exchange

Old Apr 18th 2006, 3:36 pm
atlantaBrit

atlantaBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How Many Brits live in the USA?

I just found this wonderful site and have enjoyed reading all of the entries. I have been living in the USA for 11 years now (I'm originally from Surrey) and am married with 3 kids. We would love an opportunity to take everyone home for a year but don't really want to have to sell the house and take everything with us. Is there a family out there considering a similar long term adventure?? We live in a large 4/5 bedroom family home in Fayetteville, GA just south of Atlanta with a neighborhood pool and tennis courts. The schools here are the best in the State!! Ideally we would like to do a home exchange with a family from the West Country but we would possibly consider other areas. This could be a great opportunity for two families to experience what life might feel like "across the pond" without a long term commitment. Anyway, it's just an idea at this stage but who knows.............?? I look forward to hearing from you!
Old Apr 18th 2006, 3:39 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by atlantaBrit
I just found this wonderful site and have enjoyed reading all of the entries. I have been living in the USA for 11 years now (I'm originally from Surrey) and am married with 3 kids. We would love an opportunity to take everyone home for a year but don't really want to have to sell the house and take everything with us. Is there a family out there considering a similar long term adventure?? We live in a large 4/5 bedroom family home in Fayetteville, GA just south of Atlanta with a neighborhood pool and tennis courts. The schools here are the best in the State!! Ideally we would like to do a home exchange with a family from the West Country but we would possibly consider other areas. This could be a great opportunity for two families to experience what life might feel like "across the pond" without a long term commitment. Anyway, it's just an idea at this stage but who knows.............?? I look forward to hearing from you!
Have you ever been to the Azores?
Old Apr 18th 2006, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome; I would post that in it's own thread if I were you. Some people don't bother reading all threads.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 3:49 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

I've asked one of the mods to move your post to somewhere where you might get a better response.
Most in ths section are actually in the US, so unless you fancy a move to florida, chicago or new jersey for a year you prob won't have much luck.

Welcome to the site
Old Apr 18th 2006, 4:20 pm

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

We would love an opportunity to take everyone home for a year...
Well, that's rather nice of you to offer, but do you really reckon you'll be able to squeeze us all onto the same plane?
Old Apr 18th 2006, 4:44 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: How Many Brits live in the USA?

Your best bet would be to post on the forums here:

http://www.uk-yankee.com/

It's a website for American expats residing in the UK and the forums are lively.

Also:

http://www.americanexpats.co.uk (you may need to pay a membership fee to post on some of their forums though....)
Old Apr 18th 2006, 5:35 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you try searching "house swap" or "home exchange" on google. There are loads of sites which deal with swapping homes all over the world, though you might be a bit hard pressed to find a year long swap. Never say never though!

http://www.homeforexchange.com/
http://www.homebase-hols.com/longexchange.shtml
http://www.home4swap.com/
http://www.homeexchange.com/view_lis...php?longterm=1

There's some to get you started.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 10:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House Exchange

Errr....yeah, I split this off for you, but couldn't be bothered changing the title for each of the posts...
Old Apr 19th 2006, 1:29 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by syllk
Well, that's rather nice of you to offer, but do you really reckon you'll be able to squeeze us all onto the same plane?
tried to karma you for that but apparently I've done you too much (- have I? Can't remember...) Raised a chuckle on an otherwise dull day! Ta
Old Apr 19th 2006, 2:19 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by syllk
Well leslie can sit on my lap if that helps
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 10:08 pm
Atrelocatee

Atrelocatee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I've asked one of the mods to move your post to somewhere where you might get a better response.
Most in ths section are actually in the US, so unless you fancy a move to florida, chicago or new jersey for a year you prob won't have much luck.

Welcome to the site
Hi,

We are relocating to Atlanta we are looking for somewhere in the North of Atlanta. We live in a village in Warwickshire. I'm not sure if we really want to do a house swap interesting idea. Have you any advise on area's in Atlanta which are good for schools etc we have children aged 12 and 13. We'd like to send them to a school where they can do the IB. Any idea's?
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:11 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you read this:
http://britishexpats.com/articles/us...rk-in-the-usa/

because your plan is flawed if you think a British family can live in the US for a year.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:18 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atrelocatee
Hi,

We are relocating to Atlanta we are looking for somewhere in the North of Atlanta. We live in a village in Warwickshire. I'm not sure if we really want to do a house swap interesting idea. Have you any advise on area's in Atlanta which are good for schools etc we have children aged 12 and 13. We'd like to send them to a school where they can do the IB. Any idea's?
This thread is nearly a year old and thus dead - better start one of your own
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atrelocatee
Hi,

Unless one of you is a USC, it's pretty much a no goer visa wise...and certainly an old thread to pull up, but props for using the search function....and welcome to BE
Old Jan 26th 2007, 10:28 am
Atrelocatee

Atrelocatee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I suggest you read this:
http://britishexpats.com/articles/us...rk-in-the-usa/

because your plan is flawed if you think a British family can live in the US for a year.

NC Penguin
Thanks for your reply my husband has a US passport and a job for 3 years in Atlanta so I think we should be ok. But any advise on what would be best for the children's education would be great do we go Private, International, State etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.