Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

House Doctor in San Francisco

House Doctor in San Francisco

Old Jun 23rd 2005, 4:23 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post House Doctor in San Francisco

When I was in England last Summer and staying with my sister she was always watching "The House Doctor" on TV....and like her, I was soon glued to the screen....it was incredible the difference that Ann Maurice was making in transforming a dreary property which wouldn't sell, to a desirable house which soon had offers made on it.

It's supposed to be on BBC America too but I only ever seem to find 'Cash in the Attic' 'Groundforce' or bloody 'Benny Hill' when I tune into the channel...

She's doing some sort of 2-day seminar in San Francisco in September, so it might be of interest to expats living in CA:

http://www.housedoctor.co.uk
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: House Doctor in San Francisco

Originally Posted by Englishmum
When I was in England last Summer and staying with my sister she was always watching "The House Doctor" on TV....and like her, I was soon glued to the screen....it was incredible the difference that Ann Maurice was making in transforming a dreary property which wouldn't sell, to a desirable house which soon had offers made on it.

It's supposed to be on BBC America too but I only ever seem to find 'Cash in the Attic' 'Groundforce' or bloody 'Benny Hill' when I tune into the channel...

She's doing some sort of 2-day seminar in San Francisco in September, so it might be of interest to expats living in CA:

I am sure they have shown it on BBCA

Repeats being their speciality, no doubt it will come around again.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 4:40 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I am sure they have shown it on BBCA

Repeats being their speciality, no doubt it will come around again.

They have and I've seen it there-amazing how people resist toning down "their" house and yet want to make it "someonelse's" house. I wonder what the deal is about CA-all the Clean Sweep and House Dr type shows all take place there?
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 6:11 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

oooooH! I love to watch house doctor. It comes on BBCA 10:30 am mon. thru thurs. in Florida. She really seems to make those small rooms appear so much bigger and lighter!
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 6:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

it's repeated like crazy on bbca....good for a chuckle though
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 7:40 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

We House Doctored our home in the UK sold full asking price to the third couple to see it. Bloke down the road still has his for sale
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Thydney
We House Doctored our home in the UK sold full asking price to the third couple to see it. Bloke down the road still has his for sale
We did the same in the UK, it was on for a month with no takers, we spent 200 quid and a few hours making a few silly cosmetic changes and it sold to the first people through the door !!
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 8:13 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Vern
We did the same in the UK, it was on for a month with no takers, we spent 200 quid and a few hours making a few silly cosmetic changes and it sold to the first people through the door !!
Thats what I meant by doctored cosmetic stuff staging etc.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 8:23 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

Yes, I saw that; would have been keen to go but unfortunately it clashes with the San Francisco Opera's season opening concert in the park:

http://sfopera.com/eventdetails.asp?...&eventtypeid=9

"Opera in the Park
9/11/2005 1:30 PM
Sharon Meadow, Golden Gate Park
free
Join us for our annual free outdoor concert featuring arias and operatic excerpts by current artists of San Francisco Opera accompanied by the acclaimed San Francisco Opera Orchestra. Bring a blanket, pack a picnic, lie back and enjoy one of San Francisco Opera's most popular traditions."

This is always a highlight of my year, so much too my chagrin I'm going to have to give AM a miss.

What she does is very effective, but so much of it is common sense: de-clutter, clean-clean-clean, neutral colours, restore rooms to their proper function, de-personalise.

What I find amazing is how many people put their houses up for sale and just don't change anything! Neighbours on our street had open house on Sunday: the first thing you saw on entering was about 2 dozen pairs of sneakers and sandals It got worse - I could not believe the amount of clutter...

Elvira
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
We did the same thing. Our house sold to the second couple that came to see it. In fact they left the house and we had an offer within a half an hour. I wish now we had taken the estate agent's pictures of the house. They really were good.