Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hotels in NYC Area

Hotels in NYC Area

Old Aug 22nd 2006, 5:55 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice
Default Hotels in NYC Area

Planning a visit from Toronto with two young kids and the in laws next month.

Can anyone recommend a decent area / hotel to stay that has access (subway train etc into Manhatten) that isnt going to cost a fortune.

Was hoping that there are Holiday Inns. B Westerns, Ramada etc that someone may have used.
Cheers
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 6:24 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hotels in NYC Area

Originally Posted by Buchan6

Can anyone recommend a decent area / hotel to stay that has access (subway train etc into Manhatten) that isnt going to cost a fortune.

Was hoping that there are Holiday Inns. B Westerns, Ramada etc that someone may have used.
Cheers
I'd look at the Jersey side of the shore, within a cab ride of the Path train.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 6:27 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Try the Clarion hotels on either Fifth Avenue or Park Avenue
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Hi There,

I work for a Major Mid-West Tour Company and we visit NYC all the time (unfortunately).

We put our groups up in either the Embassy Suites, or, Hampton Inn both in Secaucus, New Jersey. I know that there is an express bus service that leaves from the Embassy Suites that will have you in the Port Authority Bus Terminal in about 20 minutes. These hotels are located right off Hwy 3 before you reach the NJ Turnpike. The Embassy Suites also includes a full breakfast, whilst the Hampton provides a deluxe continental.

Hotels in Manhattan are very expensive, but, you could try the Holiday Inn on 57th Street, which is where we put our groups who wish to stay in Manhattan....or the Hilton Garden Inn on 8th Avenue. It's not the best property, but, is okay if you are just using it to sleep.

Jim.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 6:42 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

The Marriot Marquis in Times Square is good, I wasn't paying so that's always good.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Best Western Hospitality House in midtown - superb place - they are suites - like little apartments either 1 or 2 bedroom and very reasonable with a kitchen and breakfast items provided. I was dubious when my FIL booked it a couple of years back but we loved it and have been back a couple of times since - works out very cost effective!
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 9:04 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
If you are looking at nothing other than a low budget I know a great hotel on the NJ side of the Lincoln tunnel, it's a "super 8", its clean and tidy but it's nothing fancy, no breakfast etc. etc.(there is an IHOP right across the street), every 15 mins a minibus pulls up outside of it and runs you into Manhattan for just a couple of bucks each, same coming back to the hotel, last bus back is at midnight.

I do a lot of work in Manhattan and when the company pays I stay in Manhattan, if I have to pay I stay in the Super 8 and save almost $100 p/night.

http://www.hotel-rates.com/us/new-je...-nyc-area.html

My company has a travel dept that has a data base that can search all hotels in any area of North America, if you want something a bit more up market give me some details and I will run it through the data base for you.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 9:42 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Hotels in NYC Area

I'm a big fan of the Embassy Suites hotel chain and it's great for families.

Friends have stayed at their flagship hotel adjacent to the World Financial Center (near Ground Zero) overlooking the River Hudson. You get two rooms (each with a TV) and they do a free cooked to order breakfast. In the early evenings there is always a manager's event where you get free sodas, beer and spirits and snacks. There is also a multiplex cinema in the same building. You can walk to Battery Park for the ferries to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, Wall St (a bit like being in the City of London) and Chinatown and it's easy to take the PATH or subway trains uptown.

They frequently offer special family breaks; just look up their offers on their website:

http://www.embassysuites.com

http://embassysuites.hilton.com/en/e...tyhocn=NYCNYES

Reviews:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

If I had children with me I wouldn't be staying in NJ (and I live in NJ!). They get tired easily (actually so do I!) and you don't want to shlep all the way back to NJ just to have a break for a couple of hours before going out again.

I also know that the Radio City Suites are popular with airline staff taking a break with their families (I guess they get discounted rates). It's in a great location.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

A great site to check reviews for virtually any hotel in NYC or overseas is:

http://www.tripadvisor.com

Whatever you do, book ahead as early as possible as in the Autumn NYC is extremely popular as a lot of new Broadway shows are launched and conferences are taking place, plus tourist come in for pre-Christmas shopping. You can always cancel a hotel booking usually up to 24 hours ahead with no penalty if your dates change or you change your mind as long as you book directly with the hotel.....you can't do this of course if you book with the likes of Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity etc.

My friend is kicking herself as she is in Rio de Janeiro right now and booked an hotel through Expedia....then she found a better hotel and can't change it as she's already paid upfront through Expedia....

Also if you are a member of the Canadian version of the AAA (automobile club) many hotels offer discounts of around 10% so it could be cost effective to join the CAA even if you don't want or need road services.

Last edited by Englishmum; Aug 22nd 2006 at 9:47 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 9:45 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I'm a big fan of the Embassy Suites hotel chain and it's great for families.
Stayed at an Embassy Suite in Baltimore, I'd second that.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 2:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
The Marriot Marquis in Times Square is good, I wasn't paying so that's always good.
I ordered a Grand Marnier there last Christmas....$50....that was for a glass not the bottle.