British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Hotel in Boston St Patrick's Day night? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/hotel-boston-st-patricks-day-night-751228/)

dunroving Mar 10th 2012 10:40 pm

Hotel in Boston St Patrick's Day night?

What a plonker. I'm at a conference in Boston next week, leaving Sunday (just to get the much cheaper flight than leaving Saturday). I have a hotel room up to Friday night and mistakenly thought I'd "just" find a motel or hotel for Saturday night when I get there.

Of course, Saturday is St, Patrick's Day! Looks like I have a long time searching online tomorrow. Can anyone suggest an area not too far from the airport/downtown that I might find a decent priced hotel? I don't especially want to join the revellers so being close to the airport is probably more important. I plan to do a bit of shopping at REI and Eastern Mountain Sports in the morning/afternoon then head to a hotel.

Anyone know Boston well enough to make any suggestions? I feel pretty dim not realising that I was planning to find a hotel on probably the biggest party night in Boston!

Bob Mar 10th 2012 11:17 pm

Re: Hotel in Boston St Patrick's Day night?

The area around the airport is on the Silverline, which is shit...as is the area around the airport.

If you're not getting a car, that would probably rule out heading to the burbs for decent rates such as getting out to Newton/Auburndale for the Riverside stop on the Greenline.

Might find some decent areas along the end of the Orange line, which is out in JP - Jamaicaplain, which is a pretty nice area with some fun shopping.

Another area, on the Greenline, that'll have nice shopping would be around Copley Plaza and the stops on either side being minutes walk. Quite a few hotels, but no idea on rates. I do know that the Fairmont, is lovely, but I think that's pretty expensive. I also think there's a Westin, which is often not to bad.

I do think most places will be charging a premium though....but if you don't have a car, you might have more luck with a hotel that doesn't have parking as they'll probably be less in demand, even with $35 a night rates.

Red Roof Inn, chain motel, it's probably better than most if you were looking, but no idea how close that is....but realistically, I don't think yo'll find anything in Boston for less than $150 a night, everything else will be miles away or minging.

http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details....03-18-12&rooms[0].numberOfAdults=1&roomno=1&validate=false&previous Dateful=false&reviewOrder=date_newest_first

That was a quick google for $140 which is actually pretty good :)

robin1234 Mar 11th 2012 12:55 pm

What about the Hilton at Logan Airport? A bit expensive, but you only need one night. I just looked and they are quoting $179 for March 17.

We often stay there when we are flying in or out of Logan... you can literally walk to the checkin desk at any of the terminals from the Hilton which is a luxury, and with the shuttle + the blue line, easy to get into Boston too.

dunroving Mar 11th 2012 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9946449)
The area around the airport is on the Silverline, which is shit...as is the area around the airport.

If you're not getting a car, that would probably rule out heading to the burbs for decent rates such as getting out to Newton/Auburndale for the Riverside stop on the Greenline.

Might find some decent areas along the end of the Orange line, which is out in JP - Jamaicaplain, which is a pretty nice area with some fun shopping.

Another area, on the Greenline, that'll have nice shopping would be around Copley Plaza and the stops on either side being minutes walk. Quite a few hotels, but no idea on rates. I do know that the Fairmont, is lovely, but I think that's pretty expensive. I also think there's a Westin, which is often not to bad.

I do think most places will be charging a premium though....but if you don't have a car, you might have more luck with a hotel that doesn't have parking as they'll probably be less in demand, even with $35 a night rates.

Red Roof Inn, chain motel, it's probably better than most if you were looking, but no idea how close that is....but realistically, I don't think yo'll find anything in Boston for less than $150 a night, everything else will be miles away or minging.

http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details....03-18-12&rooms[0].numberOfAdults=1&roomno=1&validate=false&previous Dateful=false&reviewOrder=date_newest_first

That was a quick google for $140 which is actually pretty good :)

Thanks, Bob, I booked the Courtyard. It came up in a search I ran quickly this morning too. Takes so long to compare whether taxes are included, breakfast included, free wi-fi, free transport to airport etc. as these can all add to the cost of a "cheaper" hotel.

It's on the other side of the airport from the city but that doesn't really matter as I can't see myself going in for the Paddy's Day celebrations. I was in Savannah several years back on St. Paddy's Day (absolutely insanely wild)and so I feel like I've "been there, done that" already.

robin1234 Mar 11th 2012 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9947076)
Thanks, Bob, I booked the Courtyard. It came up in a search I ran quickly this morning too. Takes so long to compare whether taxes are included, breakfast included, free wi-fi, free transport to airport etc. as these can all add to the cost of a "cheaper" hotel.

It's on the other side of the airport from the city but that doesn't really matter as I can't see myself going in for the Paddy's Day celebrations. I was in Savannah several years back on St. Paddy's Day (absolutely insanely wild)and so I feel like I've "been there, done that" already.

That's a very comfortable hotel too.. my daughter's stayed there when she has an early flight. It's just a few minutes by shuttle from the airport..

dunroving Mar 11th 2012 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 9947073)
What about the Hilton at Logan Airport? A bit expensive, but you only need one night. I just looked and they are quoting $179 for March 17.

We often stay there when we are flying in or out of Logan... you can literally walk to the checkin desk at any of the terminals from the Hilton which is a luxury, and with the shuttle + the blue line, easy to get into Boston too.

Oops, I think you must have been posting as I was booking!

Yes, I was pretty tempted by the convenience and as you say, not hugely more expensive. But the cost of the whole trip is coming out of my pocket (the consequence of working for a public sector employer that requires international conference presentations but won't pay for them!), so in the end it was a case of wanting to keep my total costs down.