Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hot Water Bottles?

Hot Water Bottles?

Old Dec 21st 2006, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hot Water Bottles?

Has anyone purchased a hot water bottle and cover here in the US that they can recommend. I have found the bottle on drugstore.com but no cover and the covers on Amazon are a bit naff. I really like the selection that Boot's have, the furry ones and would like something similar.

I'm freezing my bits off so would like to get a couple to snuggle up with really quickly.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 1:33 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hot Water Bottles?

Can't help you but curious why a water bottle or do you mean a hot water bag would have a cover? Mine is very heavy rubber with a screw type stopper. It didn't have a cover when I bought it 30 odd years ago. I do have a heating pad which came with a lovely flannel cover. It gives off a moist heat and quite lovely.

Originally Posted by Vicky88
Has anyone purchased a hot water bottle and cover here in the US that they can recommend. I have found the bottle on drugstore.com but no cover and the covers on Amazon are a bit naff. I really like the selection that Boot's have, the furry ones and would like something similar.

I'm freezing my bits off so would like to get a couple to snuggle up with really quickly.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

I got a bottle at the local pharmacy-CVS I think it was--but I can't remember if they had covers or not. We brought one hotbot with us, and the covers, too.

edited to say: here is one link you might try. Have not ordered from them, but their catalogue has some interesting things in it, including a British Hot Bot and cover
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/j...rchid=inceptor

Last edited by jen_andreson; Dec 21st 2006 at 1:45 am.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 3:04 am
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Look in the kids section, they are usually nice and fluffy. Adults are rubbery. Whan I was a kid I had a blue fluffy hot water bottle with a green hippo on the front.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 3:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rodney you plonker
Look in the kids section, they are usually nice and fluffy. Adults are rubbery. Whan I was a kid I had a blue fluffy hot water bottle with a green hippo on the front.
Now you have a rubber.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 3:32 am
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Now you have a rubber.
Yup..... Its called Geronimo
Old Dec 21st 2006, 3:34 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, I need to update my bookmarks, i wandered into www.OAPbritishexpats.com by mistake...

Old Dec 21st 2006, 11:16 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is that in the States, most people under age 40 have never owned nor used a hot water bottle. Why fill up a rubber bag with hot water when you can simply flick a switch and use an electric blanket, right?

Well, I discovered hot water bottles in Chile (no pun intended) about 10 years ago and never turned back. I love them! The stores in Chile sell them with really nice, thick fleece-type covers in a variety of designs and colors. Unfortunately, I threw mine away since they were not "essential" when I moved back to the US. I regret that now.

I bought the hot wattle bottles we use now at Target BUT they come with really thin, flimsy, plain white velour-type covers. I looked online for some a few months ago but the cheapest ones I could find were like $15 plus shipping! No thanks... I went ahead and made my own out of fleece material. It's a bit rudimentary but it does the job.

~ Jenney
Old Dec 21st 2006, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Spannar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fashy Hot Water Bottles (Germany)

You may check out this website. I bought the Bear Cover Hot water Bottle. Its beautifully awesome. Very good size with good technology. Goodluck this winter.

http://www.viladdia.com/gift-ideas/p...y-c-43_92.html

Regards,
Spannar
Old Dec 21st 2006, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice

If your really looking for comfort, Restoration Hardware have cashmere covered hotwater bottles from $50. I remember because I had to explain to the Americans I was with (while xmas shopping) what a hot water bottle was used for !.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Hmm, I need to update my bookmarks, i wandered into www.OAPbritishexpats.com by mistake...

It comes to EVERYONE eventually.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 1:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

could always stuff an old sock with dried beans or rice and nuke in microwave for a couple mins and dump at the foot of the bed...that'll stay warm for a while and take the sting out of things...
Old Dec 21st 2006, 1:57 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Can't help you but curious why a water bottle or do you mean a hot water bag would have a cover? Mine is very heavy rubber with a screw type stopper. It didn't have a cover when I bought it 30 odd years ago. I do have a heating pad which came with a lovely flannel cover. It gives off a moist heat and quite lovely.
lol never heard it called that
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 1:39 am
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

I have bought a couple of hot water bottles from Vermont Country Store, mail order. Sadly they don't last long. When I had one in the UK it lasted for years but here they seem to average two years. Despite thoroughly draining them during the Summer and leaving the cap off the damn things perish.

A few years back my father in law bought over for me a microwave hot water bottle. That thing was great. Three minutes each side and it stayed warm until the morning. Sadly, that one has gone belly up. When I last used it it inflated so much I thought it would bust plus it did not get very warm.

I am currently without a hot water bottle and have been searching locally to buy one.

One I did buy had no cover so I bought some fleece from Wal-Mart and wrapped it up like a parcel.

Good luck.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 1:49 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

All the hot water bottles that I have with covers came from Britain. I have one that I bought over here without a cover. I know that this doesn't help you much but I've been using mine a lot lately as I haven't been feeling well and they're nice to snuggle up to! How about' bed bath and beyond' or 'linens and things', I bet they would have some.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.